in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152588 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N Roll Generation Saved Hollywood-by Peter Biskind   While the title of this book is a bit of an exaggeration it's still a fine read for anyone interested in Hollywood history.  Biskind does a very good job sorting through the often conflicting "facts" to relate his story of many of the directors and producers who gained fame between 1966-1982 including Francis Ford Coppola, Robert Altman, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, George Lucas, Peter Bogdodavich, Roman Polanski, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, the unjustly forgotten Hal Ashby and others.  If the book has any major faults it would be its slights against the previous generations of filmmakers still active at this period in time and these Biskind mostly does by sins of omission.

The Secret Holocaust Diaries - by Nanna Bannister (with Denise George & Carolyn Tomlin)  While there has been a great effort made to get many of the Jewish Holocaust survivors to record their stories this book is different because the woman telling her story was a Russian prisoner and not a Jew.  She was the only member of her family to survive the Stalin purges of the 1930s and the German Nazi atrocities of the 1940s.  I actually recommend the audio book version of this one as it also includes interviews with Nanna Bannister's husband and son as well as a recording she made in the 1990s where she speaks of her experiences (she died several years before the book was published).  She has a truly unusual accent which can be explained by the fact that she had learned four languages as a child and seven by early adulthood making for a very unique Euro-American South accent.

True Evil- by Greg Iles   True evil in this case is a lawyer (big surprise) and a doctor with the ethics "of a Mengele" in this solid thriller from Iles.  A few of the characters from another novel of his I've read pop up in small supporting roles.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

Well, my summer reading list is pretty full now... I just picked up two hefty tomes... The Rembrandt Book by Gary Schwartz and Frank Zӧllner's mammoth Leonardo da Vinci: The Complete Paintings and Drawings.

With these additions, and my decision to finally work my way through my copy of Oxford's Shakespeare (The Complete Works, compact edition)... which has been sitting on my shelf for years with only occasional use... I don't think I'll have time for much else.  

Except perhaps the occasional Shadow pulp.  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:57:05 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »

Night Soldiers- by Alan Furst   Young Bulgarian trains as Soviet operative in 1930s Russia, spends time in the Spanish Civil War, falls out of favor with Stalin regime, goes on the run in Europe, gets got up in politics and espionage in France, is sent to prison, WWII breaks out, is released from prison, fights with underground, barely survives the war.  As with previous Furst novels there is excellent atmosphere here and you really feel the protagonist's war weariness at the novel's end.

The Most Dangerous Man in America- by John K. Wilson   Liberal author takes his shots at conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh.  Not likely to change anybody's mind on either side of this spectrum.

Promise Me- by Harlan Coben   A teenage girl goes missing.  No one is sure if she ran away or something else happened.  Then another girl from the same school goes missing and former basketball star/celebrity agent (and occasional amateur P.I.) Myron Bolitar finds out that he was the last one to see  her before she vanished.  Lots of twists and turns in this one and there is some of that Elvis Cole/Joe Pike vibe between Bolitar and his buddy Win Lockwood.

Best

Joe 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
FEMFORCE
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »

Call your LCS and be sure that they gets the order in for Femforce 157 featuring N.E.D.O.R. Agents by Will Meugnot. A must have for anyone on these boards. Those reading this with your own websites please put the news out. Must be done soon so Diamond sales can get recorded.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »

Sunset Express by Robert Crais   Elvis Cole gets hired by an O. J. Simpson type of super-lawyer squad defending a big name client accused of murdering his wife.  All is not as it first seems.  Another winner from Crais.

The Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman  Hillerman's final novel before his death.  I've really enjoyed these mysteries featuring his Navajo policemen Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee both for their insite into the navajo culture and because they are fine reads.

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris  Top-notch bio of Theodore Roosevelt's final decade completes Pulitzer prize winner Morris' trilogy on Teddy.  One of several books on Roosevelt I hope to get read over the next year or two (including Morris' two earlier volumes which perversely I'm tackling in reverse order).  Recommended! 

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

I got some Kurt Venegut short stories from gutenberg.org
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2011, 04:09:40 AM »

The Jungle by Clive Cussler and Jack Du Brul, nuff said.

Geo
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »

The Awakening by Kate Chopin   I can't remember why I acquired this book but it went  into my "to be read" pile somehow.  Someone  must have recommended it as it's not normally something I would have just picked up to read.  It's a rather moving story of a woman coming to terms with her romantic feelings about a man other than her own husband.  It was written in the late 19th century by a woman from the American south but if I didn't know that I would never have guessed because it seems not at all Victorian in style and comes across, more in tone and content, like a book written a few decades later.

Go Down Together: The True Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn   This book (along with Paul Schneider's Bonnie and Clyde: The Lives Behind the Legend-which I read a year or so ago) was released back in 2009 on the 75th anniversary of the death of this famous outlaw couple.  Both books do a fine job of getting beyond the legends and romance that has grown over the decades about the infamous lovers. Schneider's book was perhaps better in depicting the increasing desperation of the duo as they moved ever closer to their ultimate, inevitable demise.    Guinn's book, on the other hand, does a better job of painting the period of Depression era America and explaining how this pair of relatively mediocre robbers was able to elude the law for so long---They were better armed (thanks to numerous raids on National Guard armories) and had better vehicles (usually stolen Ford V-8s-which Clyde did have a somewhat reckless skill in driving) than the poorly armed, poorly trained, poorly equipped, and poorly paid small town law officers that they generally ran up against.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell   Jim recommended this one and I found it very interesting.  Among other things you'll learn why fiascoes such as "New Coke" occurred and why law enforcement officers have sometimes made terrible (and even fatal) mistakes.   I'll definitely be checking out more of Gladwell's writings.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »

The Last Coyote-by Michael Connelly   Detective Harry Bosch, on administrative leave for assaulting a superior office, decides to tackle a special cold case-the murder of a woman, who was an occasional prostitute, when he was a child--his own mother!  Shades of James Ellroy!!

Telegraph Days- by Larry McMurtry   For my money McMurtry is the best author of westerns currently writing.  While not every one is a great as his classic, award winning, Lonesome Dove they are all entertaining with an authenticity for the period that always come through.

A Special Mission: Hitler's Secret Plot to Seize the Vatican and Kidnap Pope Pius XII- by Dan Kurzman   The first of two books I'm reading on the subject of Pius XII and the role he played during WWII.  Views on the subject are often diametrically opposed to each other.  This one tries to take a pretty balanced look at the picture.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »

Rumpole and the Reign of Terror- by John Mortimer   It's been quite a while since I last read a Rumpole book so I was looking forward to this one and I wasn't disappointed.  Rumpole finds himself trying to defend a man accused of terrorism but about whom the government won't tell him what the specific charges are.  If that's not enough he also finds he's lost his steady clients (and income from) the "terrible" Timson clan because they're offended that he's defending a "terrorist" and meanwhile "She who must be obeyed" has started writing her memoirs!   Oh the horror!!!

Her Fearful Symmetry- by Audrey Niffenegger   This was a pretty good book with some likable characters, interesting paranormal situations and a narrative that keeps you hooked-- until the last part where, for me, it all slipped a bit.

Brimstone- by Robert B. Parker  The third of Parker's Cole and Hitch westerns is as good as the previous two and has an ending that kind of finds them going full circle from the first volume which I found appropriate since I thought this was Parker's last novel featuring the duo but have since learned that he finished another one before he died which has been posthumously published recently.  Well that's just one more to look forward to.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:55:39 AM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »

It's been primarily a lot of non-fiction so far this summer, Joe,

Finished:
1493 by Charles Mann. Wonderful sequel to his 1491. How the events of 1492 reshaped (and continue to reshape) our world.

Hamilton by Ron Chernow - I really enjoyed his Washington and I liked this even more. Gave me a depth of understanding of just how fragile our style of government really was/is. Like his previous book, it's a long read. Best taken in small chunks.

A Widow's Story by Joyce Carol Oates. My sister's husband died suddenly last year at age 59. This has helped me understand her behavior a bit. Like the aforementioned Hamilton, best taken in small doses - Oates it a powerful writer and her anguish sweeps off the pages.

"There are Things I Want You to Know About Stieg Larsson and Me" by Eva Gabrielsson. Not very well-written, but I keep hearing rumors about this and that with regard to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and sequels, so it was worth the read. If you don't care about The Millennium Trilogy, you can easily pass. Lots about the author, Larsson and Swedish society.

A Cartoonist's Life: Charles Addams by Linda H. Davis. I may have already mentioned this, but I found it curiously unsatisfying. It was filled with great details and lots of stuff about him I didn't know, but there seems to have been a challenging aspect to his personality that should have been explained or at least given more speculation.

(Far more fun was the Complete Playboy Gahan Wilson with its articles and interview and a surprising amount of Wilson's writings: short stories, primarily. Three volumes and a laugh a minute.)

Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch - you have to be interested in Michelin-rated restaurants, which I am. I enjoyed the heck out of it, though it's really pretty light fare.

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card - I liked it, but it seemed hastily finished. I kept looking at how many pages were left and how much needed to be wrapped up and was CERTAIN that it was going to turn out to be the first in a (dreaded) SERIES. Not so, but it could have benefited from a bit more effort at the end.

Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex - I think that the older AF grows, the less interesting are his adventures. My final encounter, I think.

Reiterating recommendations for: The Greater Journey by David McCullough (I have his 1776 on my stack to be read), and the various Malcolm Gladwell books: Outliers, The Tipping Point, Blink and What The Dog Saw.

As for the ending of Her Fearful Symmetry - I believe that it's a congenital problem with "supernatural" stories. Once you get to the part where it needs to be EXPLAINED, it all falls down. As long as it's a "mystery", we buy it. When it becomes a "reality", we lose interest.

In process (aka: now reading)
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson, who writes non-fiction in a fiction-like style. Like his The Devil in the White City, this is based on journals and newspaper reports and diaries of the participants. They being, this time, the American Ambassador to Germany in 1933/34 and his family. Chilling, so far, as our State Department seems to have been populated with "old boys" who were only interested in getting Germany to pay its WW1 debts, not what Hitler was doing.

Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bagigalupi (author of The Windup Girl). Collection of short stories which, so far, are compelling and intriguing, but the form is not his forte. So far (about four stories into it), I'm feeling like the melieus are fascinating, but the actual content of the story is unsatisfying.

Paris From the Ground Up by James H.S. McGregor - just what it says, a history of Paris from the pre-Roman days.

I'll be doing a lot of reading while in Paris. I always do. So it behooves me to pile up a slew of paperbacks to cart along. I'll keep you posted.

Love Hillerman and Connelly. I eventually gave up on Parker, though. Haven't read anything new by him in a dozen  years. Used to POUNCE on the new releases.

Keep reading and keep sharing.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »

Jim, 

Thanks as always for the list of new reads-always something among them to pique my interest.

I read Mann's 1491 a year or so back.  Very informative.  Didn't know that he had a sequel out.  I'll definitely keep my eye open for that one.

Have been considering checking out Chernow's book on Washington for a while now.  Since you give it a thumbs up I'll put it on the short list.

The Greater Journey continues to have a backlog of holds on it at the library but I plan on getting McCullough's book on Teddy Roosevelt-Mornings on Horseback soon so that should keep me satisfied for a bit.

I know the library has Gladwell's Outliers and What the Dog Saw as I saw them on the shelf when I picked up Blink so one or the other of those is in the foreseeable future.

Read Larson's Thunderstruck a while back and have been planning to tackle his The Devil in a White City which if I'm not mistaken is about the famous serial killer H.H. Holmes (also the subject of a recent graphic novel by Rick Geary that I read).  I haven't heard about In the Garden of Beasts.  It must be a new one. 

Know what you mean about Parker.  His Spenser novels became very hit and miss for me at some point.  Seemed like with too many of them he was just cranking them out to fulfill a contract with little enthusiasm for actually writing them.  With the Cole and Hitch westerns though he seemed rejuvenated and they are all quick enjoyable reads with a nice authentic feel for the period.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Anyone read any fan fiction? Feedbooks.com has digital downloads of public domain and for pay. They also have fan fiction which I think DC approves of. I just read Weird Western 21 with "Brothers In Arms" featuring the Scalphunter character. The story was OK but I did not like the magic element in it. I may try some more stores. They have lots of Jonah Hex some Nighthawk, Bat Lash, Windrunner and more Scalphunter.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »

I just read a short story by Joshua Hale Fialkov called "Belly Button Reset." OUTSTANDING!
Super fast paced with lots of unique ideas. Being A.D.D. I often get bored with books quickly. If the characterization does not catch me I soon give up. If I become engaged with the characters I can keep reading and enjoying. Belly Button Reset is the way a book should be if it is not mainly character. So many cool ideas packed in so few pages. Absolutely one of the best stories that I have read. And it was a free download from feedbooks.com You can't get much better than being a great read and free.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »

Hitler's Pope- by John Cromwell  My second book dealing with Pope Pius XII.  This one goes into a lot more detail on the life of Pius XII than Dan Kurzman's book (read a few weeks back) did although to be fair Kurzman's book was primarily detailing Hitler's plot to kidnap the Pope (which is gone over in this book but not in nearly as much detail). 
Anyway after reading both books my impression of Pius XII is that he more of a politician than a saint-not surprising since he was the Cardinal Secretary of State for years before becoming Pope. 
While the title "Hitler's Pope" is certainly an exaggeration (I guess author's and publisher's need such flashy titles to sell books though) the way I see it it's pretty clear that his acquiescence, appeasement, accommodation and inaction in the face of the fascist leaders during the 1930s and 40s all leave him with a less than sterling reputation although it must be noted that he was hardly the only politician to have acted in such a way during these years.  However since he was also a man of God he should probably be held to a higher standard and to me he seems hardly deserving of the sainthood that some would like to grant him. 
While there seem to have been a number of reasons why he acted the way he did the over-riding reason seems to have been that he had a bigger fear of the communists than he did of the fascists although in the end they both were pretty much equally as malevolent in their acts of evil perpetrated upon the masses.

Salt River- by James Sallis  My second foray into reading Sallis found a book as thin as the first (these seem more like novellas) but with a bit more plot (the previous had almost none) as a southern deputy sheriff investigates some crimes and connects the dots.  Heavy on character and dialog and in that respect it reminds me of Elmore Leonard's writing- which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The Wheel of Darkness- by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child    I ran into an old friend whom I hadn't seen in a long time at the library recently.  We gave each other updates on what's been happening with our lives and then exchanged lists of authors we'd been reading.  Well we had quite a few in common (Christopher Moore, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Robert Crais, John Mortimer, Jasper Fforde, Lawrence Block, etc...) but were also able to give each other some tips on authors that we each hadn't yet sampled.
This writing team is one of his recommendations.  He described them as a crazy adventure-thriller writing duo who seemed to alternate chapters and delight in getting their protagonists in some wild situation at the end of each chapter leaving it up to the other author to work it out how to get them out of it.
Well he wasn't far off the mark.  I found the book to be a very pulpish sort of story with a somewhat larger than life hero, some Eastern mysticism, some really wild action and a situation that could leave thousands (or more) dead.  Not far off from what you'd read in a Doc Savage or Spider pulp novel.  Fun but don't take it too seriously.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »

Speaking of pulps I am reading a classic, Tarzan of the Apes. Our second grade teacher used to read it to us. Loved it them and am enjoying it very much now. I do not know that I ever actually read the first adventure myself.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »

Speaking of pulps I am reading a classic, Tarzan of the Apes. Our second grade teacher used to read it to us. Loved it them and am enjoying it very much now. I do not know that I ever actually read the first adventure myself.

Tarzan of the Apes was the first Edgar Rice Burroughs book that I ever read.  Found it in the attic of my grandparent's Pennsylvania farmhouse while visiting there one Summer.  I believe that I was nine years old at the time.  I was immediately taken with the character (and also surprised how different he was from the movie versions which I had already seen).  Soon after tracked down a copy of The Return of Tarzan and then found that the library had many of Burroughs' books on their shelves which I began to work my way through over the next several years.
I reread Burroughs' A Princess of Mars two or three years back and it was still pretty fun but when I tried to sample some of his lesser works a year or so back (The Cave Man, The Cave Girl, The Eternal Savage) I found them not nearly so enjoyable.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »

My favorites are his Pellucidar series. I am facinated by the concept that without a reference time becomes so relative.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - let's see: first book in a fantasy trilogy, 700 pages, orphaned hero, coming of age saga, academy of magic, brilliant young sorcerer, ancient evil, words of power, etc., etc., etc. Just how many times must we deal with these?

Well, at least this once more. Add a brilliant young writer and a magic way with words and you'll have a HINT of the power of "The Name of the Wind". Great story, great structure, great writing. Best book I've read this year.

YMMV, but I doubt it.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2011, 03:13:27 AM »

Finished "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest. Cyberpunk set in mid-19th Century Seattle. Underwhelming. Cyberpunk needs a better descriptive capacity than Priest brings to this story. You "kinda/sorta" get the picture, but it's vague and unfinished. The story's premise is also UN-compelling. Skip it, unless you're totally hooked on steam-powered dirigibles and huge boring engines...

Also finished Joe Simon's "My Life in Comics" which I found maddeningly vague when it comes to sequencing his life and with dates. It also has a rather mean-spirited tone to many of the anecdotes he relates. When you read about some of the people he knew, it seems that some minor incident or slightly demeaning personality trait is related almost as a non-sequitur. They don't lead to anything that reinforces the narrative. Puzzling.

Packed up "Paris From the Ground Up" to finish there. Why not? Also packed the second in the Patrick Rothfuss series. I'm looking forward to starting it there.

Am just starting "The Well-Favored Man" by Elizabeth Willey - first in another fantasy trilogy. The 2nd and 3rd books have been on my shelves for 10-15 years for their Charles Vess dustjackets. This dj is by Wayne D. Barlowe, whose work I don't collect, but when I saw it at a used book store sale, I figured what the hey? It'll give me incentive to read two books I already own. I'll keep you posted.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:16:47 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »

A Diet of Treacle- by Lawrence Block  Another one of Block's late 1950s paperback originals is now back in print.  Young hipsters living on the edge in NYC.  Things go from "Cool Daddio" to "What a Drag" to "Total Bummer" by novels end.  A quick easy read.

Alger Hiss and the Battle for History- by Susan Jacoby   Interesting look at the famous Hiss case and how it has been looked at and used by various political groups on the left and right over the decades to further their own causes.

Dark Light- by Randy Wayne White  White was another author recently recommended to me.  In this one he's definitely mining John D. MacDonald territory- specifically the Travis McGee series- with his protagonist Doc Ford, living on a boat off the Florida coast, getting involved in a search for a shipwreck containing Nazi artifacts, a mysterious woman and a murderous sociopath.  Not bad.  I'll check out a few more.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2011, 02:56:49 PM »

Icon of Evil: Hitler's Mufti and the Rise of Radical Islam- by David G. Dalin and John F. Rothmann  This book on Haj Amin al-Husseini (who was the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem for a number of years in the 20th century) paints a pretty negative view of the man.  While it seems pretty clear that he did have have an influence on some of the more radical elements of militant Islam there are parts of the book that seem to give a little too much credence to rumors and unsubstantiated stories, thus undercutting the authors' credibility at times. 

This Time Together:Laughter and Reflection- by Carol Burnett   The second memoir from the comedienne mostly covers incidents from her show business years (her earlier memoir primarily covered the period of her early family life).   Some stories her are revealing, some touching but the vast majority, as may be expected, are just plain funny!

Shadow Woman- by Thomas Perry   Perry was another author recently recommended to me.  He specializes in suspense novels.  While most of his books seem to be stand alone novels he does have one continuing character that he has written about-Jane Whitefield-who specializes in making people in trouble disappear.  In this one the person in trouble is a casino employee who has learned things that have made his bosses (who just happen to be mob connected) nervous about allowing him to continue breathing.  It could have used a little editing but is entertaining enough that I'll sample more of his work.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

Atomic Lobster- by Tim Dorsey   Very funny.  I was laughing all through this book.  I don't know who recommended the author to me but thanks!  The "hero" of the novel is a certified psycho who's sidekick is a stoner.  Apparently he's the "hero" of all Dorsey's novels.  I'll definitely be checking out more of them.

Blood's a Rover- by James Ellroy   Ellroy, the "demon dog of American crime fiction",  gets back on track, with this concluding novel in his Underworld U.S.A. trilogy, after slipping a bit with the middle novel (The Cold Six Thousand).  While the trilogy is not, IMHO, up to the standards of his earlier L.A. Quartet it's still worth a read.

Money For Nothing- by Donald Westlake   Most of Westlake's books in his later years were either his humorous Dortmunder crime/capers or his (writing as Richard Stark) hard-boiled novels featuring the criminal Parker.  This was one of his last non-series novels.  Guy gets a check for a thousand bucks in the mail.  He can't find out who sent it so deposits it- and it clears.  The checks keep coming-every month- for years.  Then he gets a call.  He's been "activated".  Apparently he was recruited as a spy and never knew it!  Now there's no backing out- at least not if he wants to go on living.  Quick, occasionally funny, sometimes suspenseful- an easy read.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »

think I'll give Dorsey a try
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »

The Spider and His Hobo Army- by Grant Stockbridge   Well I was feeling like a hero pulp and since I had quite a few unread Spider reprints laying around I grabbed this one at random.  Good choice!   You begin the book feeling like you've been dropped onto a runaway roller coaster and for the next five chapters you're just hanging for dear life as there is absolutely no letup!!!  The only reason you get to catch your breath in chapter six is because Dick Wentworth (The Spider) was knocked unconscious at the end of chapter five and so we get some actual story background and exposition-the Spider is fighting some Nazi like group intent on killing the president and taking over the country- in other words- business as usual for the Spider!

Outliers: The Story of Success- by Malcolm Gladwell   My second Gladwell book was even better than the first one I read (Blink).  Gladwell shows how such things as when you were born and where you grew up can have enormous influence on whether you will be successful later on in life.  I really recommend that anyone involved in education read this one but it's a good read for anyone.

Everett Raymond Kinstler: The Artist's Journey Through Popular Culture: 1942-1962- by Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr. and Everett Raymond Kinstler   JVJ and ERK give us just enough info in this book's text to provide background and put into context the real meat of the book- ERK's beautiful artwork!  Luckily for us he saved many of his original comic book, pulp, magazine and book illustrations and they are given better reproduction here than they ever got in the first place.   Nice job gentlemen!!

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:50:58 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.