in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152556 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »

My dad was a great Nero Wolfe fan and introduced me to the stories.  I devoured them but haven't gone back for a re-read. Perhaps it's about time. I also read all the Warshawski stories right up to the film, which wasn't very good and I stopped there.  I'm currently reading, "Dashing Through the Snow" by Mary Higgins/Carol Higgins Clark, 'cos I fancied a Christmas cosy.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2011, 12:47:11 AM »

For Christmas I got the complete collection of the Game of Thrones series, all in hard back.

Just started the first book. Even after having seen the mini series based on the first book, reading is still quite enjoyable.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »

Getting kinda' behind in my gabbing about my reading so I'll start trying to catch up here.

Lullaby Town- by Robert Crais   Elvis Cole and Joe Pike take on an egotistic Hollywood director as a client and end up fighting the mob.  Good stuff.

The Great Stagnation- by Tyler Cowen   Small book (Booklet?) which I picked up at the library.  The subtitle of it is "How America Ate All the Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better".  Whether you agree with his hypothesis or not I give him credit for not coming at this from a partisan stance as he takes both the right and left wingers to the woodshed for various types of behavior.

St Peter's Fair- by Ellis Peters   I think I read my first Cadfael mystery about the time the author passed away.  There's about twenty of them and I've been reading one or two a year since then.  Still got a few to go.  Always a pleasure to read.  This one takes place during the Civil War in England in the twelfth century and that plays a crucial factor in this tome's murders.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

The Poisoner's Handbook- by Deborah Blum   Interesting and entertaining examination of the major advances that occurred in forensic medicine in NYC from the 1910s to the 1930s.  Poisonings gets the biggest coverage in the book due to several famous cases and the huge jump in alcoholic poisonings during the prohibition era.

The First Paul- by Marcus J. Borg and John Dominic Crossan   Very interesting look at the early Christian church leader by two noted Biblical scholars sheds new light on some of his writings.  I was quite impressed with their knowledge of the Roman era that Paul's epistles were written in and how this must be taken into account when reading the epistles.  Also their going back to the original Greek (in which they written) gives a more proper interpretation of various passages that have not always been taken in the way the author's feel they were actually written.

The Laughing Policeman- by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo   I finally got straight the name of the husband and wife team that wrote this book which I gave a reread over the holidays.  I understand that they wrote ten novels in the series before Wahloo's death in 1975 and apparently they've been reissued here in the States so I'll be checking more of them out.  From what I read about the writers on the web these crime procedurals influenced a good many writers who followed them including Henning Mankell, Ian Rankin, Jo Nesbo and Steig Larsson.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Xergrim

message icon
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »

I'm almost ashamed to say what I'm reading, compared to all the nice sounding, educational stuff I'm seeing that others are reading. I'm just getting back into reading again, why I'm back here starting with just simple Archie Digest comics I found at a grocery store. It's definitely a very relaxing thing to get back into, even if it's not exactly deep material.  :P
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #230 on: January 14, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Oh I read plenty of comics too.  I just gab about those over in the "Whatcha' Readin'" column under "Comic Talk".  This column leans more toward regular books.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »

Bossy Pants- by Tina Fey   Amusing memoir from the SNL/30 Rock comedienne.  Easy, fun read.

Shock Value- by Jason Zinoman  This can be taken as a companion book to Peter Biskind's Easy Riders, Raging Bulls book which I read a few months ago as it covers roughly the same period of film history - the later 1960s up til the early 1980s.  While Biskind's book examined the more mainstream cinema (and its producers/directors/writers) Zinoman zeros in on the horror genre and examines the changes that occurred within the genre and how it became more mainstream.  Concentrates mainly on John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Dan O'Bannon and Brian DePalma (although other are also covered in lesser detail).  Some good insights in the book.

Dark Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft- by H. P. Lovecraft  It's been just about four decades since I first started reading Lovecraft.  I think it was in 1970 that I first became aware of his name mainly via a Roy Thomas adaptation of one of his stories in one of Marvel's mystery/horror titles.  Roy followed with more in 1971.  I had also started reading Robert E. Howard in 1971- and reading about him.  Mentions of REH's work in Weird Tales usually mentioned some of that mags other prominent authors and Lovecraft's was always at the forefront.  Finally at the end of 1971 the television series Night Gallery ran adaptations of two Lovecraft stories (Pickman's Model and Cool Air) on two consecutive weeks in December.  I was finally intrigued enough to pick up one of the paperback reprints of HPL's work then available.  More soon followed.  After that initial rush I've only read the occasional odd short story until picking up this collection (which I've been reading one or two selections from between my other books for the last few months) at the library.  I do recommend it as a good introduction to the man who, arguably, had the greatest influence on horror writing in the twentieth century.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter- by Seth Grahame-Smith   Well done look at an often overlooked part of the Great Emancipator's life.

Slan Hunter- by A. E. Van Vogt & Kevin Anderson  Van Vogt started this sequel to his hugely popular Slan late in his life but was never able to finish it due to the onset of Alzheimer's disease.  Now Kevin Anderson has done an admirable job of finishing up the work.  Picking up right where the first novel left off the larger group of Slan's (mutants) gain the upper-hand over humans and the remaining Slans.  At least for the time being!  Left open for a further sequel.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #233 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »

What can I say, I've just been a sucker for these humongous Taschen art books lately.  First it was that da Vinci tome, and now I'm working my way through Michelangelo: Life and Work by Z
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:25:05 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #234 on: January 17, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »

Terry O'Neill's new comics catalog... Yum  :o

I already did James Payette's new one last week. Watch for some new additions to the JVJ list.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:09 AM »

Terry O'Neill's new comics catalog... Yum  :o

I already did James Payette's new one last week. Watch for some new additions to the JVJ list.

(|:{>

I saw that too Jim, good hunting.

Geo
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »

Jack Magic: The Life and Art of Jack Kirby Volume One- by Greg Theakston  This first volume of Greg's two volume look at "King Kirby" (as Stan lee often billed him in 1960s Marvel comics) follows Jack's ups and down from childhood through the launch of The Fantastic Four in the early 1960s.

Greg has a very unorthodox way of writing- bouncing back and forth from standard bio to personal memoir to stream of conscious exposition to interview format.  This has thrown a number of people that I have seen comment or review the book but since I have been reading Greg's articles and intros for years I'm pretty used to it and just accept it as his "style" of writing.

Others have also moaned over the occasional typos and such and the lack of proofreading.  Well I can tell you that this book did have proofreaders and although they did miss a few things here and there the book has less than usual from one of Greg's self-published efforts.

That said the book could have used an editor other than Greg.  Someone to get him to tighten up things here and there and eliminate some duplication in the text. 

Also it would have been better if Greg had let some knowledgeable fans read it to catch areas where his writings kind of bungle up sequence of events.

A perfect example of this would be on pages 112-113 where Greg talks about events in 1956 when Kirby took over the Atlas Yellow Claw book from artist Joe Maneely. Greg says it was because Maneely had recently been killed in a train accident.  Actually Maneely wasn't killed in that accident until two years later in 1958 (after the Atlas Implosion). 

Occasional goofs like this aside I did enjoy this volume and even though I had already read many of the incidents related in it via Greg's previous writings about Kirby and such I still found enough new material to keep me interested. 

The book is profusely illustrated btw.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #237 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »

Lost in Shangri-La- by Mitchell Zuckoff  How's this sound for the plot of an adventure movie?  In the final months of WWII a plane carrying two dozen servicemen and Wacs crashes in a nearly inaccessible valley in New Guinea.  Two of the men and one beautiful Wac survive, injured but alive- for the moment anyway.  The trouble is that the valley is nearly inaccessible by land, gangrene is developing in their wounds and the only native inhabitants of the valley are known cannibals!  Time to parachute the crack commando squad in and hope they can save the day!  And for comedy relief we'll send in a drunken reporter to chronicle the whole shee-bang!   Like I said it sounds like a Hollywood movie.  The crazy thing is it really happened!!! 

Deadly Beloved- by Max Allan Collins   I used to enjoy Max Collins hard boiled detective comic series Ms. Tree which was ably illustrated  by Terry Beatty (in a very appropriate Johnny Craig-esque style).  While there hasn't been a Ms. Tree comic in a while Collins has brought her back in this prose novel (which I believe is her first).  I was looking forward to it but came away disappointed.  The whole story seems very under-developed and reads like it was phoned in.  The least of Collins' works that I have read (and I've read quite a few of 'em).

Full Dark, No Stars- by Stephen King   A collection of four novels/novelettes by King.  Over the years of reading King I've found that I've come to find his shorter works often more satisfying as King tends to keep things tighter in them and they don't seem as bloated as some of his novels do.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »

Blake Bell's first volume Amazing Mysteries is now out and looks great.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14/182-1921114-8861434?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=amazing+mysteries+bill+everett+archives&sprefix=Amazing+myster%2Cstripbooks%2C250

Most/all the work is available here but most here like to hold the book in their hands when they can. Boy what a savings at Amazon!
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »

Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World- by Liaquat Ahamed  Covers the events from WWI into the Great Depression of the 1930s by concentrating primarily on the actions of the men who ran the central banks of Great Britain, France, Germany and America.  Shows how their actions helped bring about the depression and help pave the way for WWII.  Ahamed has been a professional investment manager for over a quarter of a century so he knows his stuff and he manages to wrote about it in such a way that even an economic ignoramus such as myself can pretty well follow the storyline.

The Dark Tunnel- by Ross MacDonald   MacDonald's very first book written during WWII concerns itself  with murder and espionage.  Some of the attitudes toward minorities date the book more than it's period setting.  Not bad but I think I'll concentrate more on revisiting Lew Archer in the future.

The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America- by David Hadju  Covers the events leading up to the purge of the comic book industry in the 1950s.  I found this to be pretty well researched even if I didn't always agree with his allusions and conclusions.  The list of people forced out of the industry at the end of the book also seems overblown.  Still I'd give it a recommendation overall.   

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »

I've just started a "new" John Rawlings story by Deryn Lake. These are Georgian murder mysteries featuring Jon Rawlings, an apothecary, who works occasionally for John Fielding, magistrate.  Full of period detail and set in the early days of the Bow St. Runners, the adventures are good fun.  This one is entitled Death in Hellfire and, needlesss to say, is an investigation into the Hellfire Club.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »

I am re-reading an old favorite. Some of the first sci-fi novels that I read were by Allen E. Nourse. I read all of his books that I could get my hands on. I find myself enjoying Star Surgeon again after probably 40 years. His books were to be found in middle school libraries. Which means that they lack sex and vulgarity. Which means that they rely on good characterization and story. Star Surgeon is one that is public domain and freely available on the internet. Many of his short stories are also PD.  It looks to me that SS is the only novel of Nourse's that is PD. I highly recommend almost any of his books and some of my favorites RAIDERS FROM THE RINGS, Trouble on Titan, and ROCKET TO LIMBO. There are a few of his novels that I have not yet read. I need to search the local used book store and try to find them.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »

Nourse, like Robert E. Heinlein, wrote both juvenile and adult sci-fi.  I remember reading some of his juveniles about the same time as I was reading my first Heinleins back in grade school. 

I haven't seen one of his books in years.  I imagine that he has passed away by now.

I'll have to see if the library has any of his books on their shelves.

Will also check to see if they have any books by Deryn Lake since Paw gives him some good words here.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2012, 12:48:23 PM »

Star Surgeon appears to be the only free novel but many of his short stories are available PD. I have a paperback of Mercy Men. One of Nourse's books that I have never read that I want to start soon.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »

I checked our local library and Star Surgeon is the only Nourse book I could find that is currently available (perhaps because it is PD more publishers are reprinting it) so I will give it a read.

They also have a number of Deryn Lake's books at the library.  I was wondering if Paw mike have any particular titles to recommend?

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

Oh dear, difficult.  I always worry that my taste wont suit others.  However, start with the earliest you can find as there is a progression through Rawling's life.  Here's the author's site:-
http://derynlake.com/mysteries.php
I've been reading these over a number of years but I seem to recall particularly enjoying Death on Romney Marsh and Death at the Devil's Tavern. The first story is Death in the Dark Walk.  I like historical murder mysteries and can also suggest the Inspector Colbeck stories and the Christopher Redmayne enquiries by Edward Marston.  Website here:-
http://www.edwardmarston.com/
I've enjoyed all the Colbecks and The Frost Fair story with Redmayne was very entertaining.
Thinking on what you're talking about above, it brought home to me how little S.F. I read nowadays and this is a genre I couldn't get enough of years ago.  I can't seem to find many ideas and plots which appeal in modern offerings.  I enjoy space adventure e.g. The Lost fleet; early Honor Harrington; empty space as in Mc Devitt's, Engines of God and subsequent Hutch stories.  Sort of given up looking.

Amending this to add, try, A Metropolitan Murder by Lee Jackson.  A good mystery and a bit eccentric.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:36:55 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

Thanks Paw.  The earliest Deryn Lake book my library seems to carry is Death at the Beggar's Opera  (the second in the series) so I'll put in a reserve for that.  They also have the Lee Jackson book you mention as well as several by Edward Marston so I'll be able to check things out there too.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »

My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business- by Dick Van Dyke   Enjoyable little memoir from the actor/comedian.

What the Dog Saw: and Other Adventures- by Malcolm Gladwell   A collection of short pieces whose common link is that the author continues to give us alternate ways of viewing things.

The Name of the Wind: King Killer Chronicle Book 1- by Patrick Rothfuss   Jim was right about this author.   It's a big ol' book but it's so engagingly written that I fairly flew through it.  Looking forward to more from this author.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

Currently midway through, Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith.  My wife suggested I might enjoy it and she was right.  Amusing and well written. (Nothing to do with No.1 Ladies Detective Agency)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »

I just finished two Alan Nourse short stories "Circus" and "Coffin Cure" very much like some good Twilight Zone episode. I look forward to reading some more. Star Surgeon is the only PD novel but lots of his short stories are PD. Since I have learned to prefer digital I was disappointed not to find more of Nourse's books available in digital.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.