in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152579 times)

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »

I hope that narfstatr is WRONG about libraries becoming a thing of the past. It seems like damn near everybody who has a computer seems to think that everybody else does. Computers cost MONEY. Libraries DO NOT. I just basically got shamed out of doing a blog I was writing because I was reviewing comics blogs that ran non-public domain stories and I tried to help other less wealthy (and let's face it, comics are WAY too expensive nowadays) readers save some money, but no, if DC and Marvel and Disney can't suck EVERY LAST DIME out of their fans, EVEN FOR OLD STUFF THAT THEY'VE ALREADY MADE MILLIONS OFF OF, then you CAN'T be allowed into their fan club - and why would anybody WANT to be a fan of such CORPORATE VAMPIRES? No, narf - I HOPE YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #301 on: October 13, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »

With the cost of any number of devices becoming available for less than $50, I think it is inevitable, like it or not. I would like to see libraries evolve into virtual learning centers. Schools system everywhere are offering alternatives to classroom instruction. While this is a great fit for some students it is not for all. I think libraries can be co-opted to work along side these endeavors.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »

I hope that narfstatr is WRONG about libraries becoming a thing of the past. It seems like damn near everybody who has a computer seems to think that everybody else does. Computers cost MONEY. Libraries DO NOT.

Well, not to be too nitpicky, libraries DO cost money--it's just that their money usually comes from taxes and bond issues instead of from fees.   Even publicly-funded organizations need to provide some measure of value to the community.  My local library offers audio cd's and dvd's for rental, and has some computers available for use and internet access, as well as books, and a rather slim, but rotating selection of comic collections and graphic novels.

ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »

I started Ludwig von Mises' Human Action a long time ago, but never finished it.  I've decided to go back and finish it.  It's a bit heavy in the reading department, but Mises covers just about everything you could possibly want to know about economics and then some.  Well-worth the effort.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Good discussion about libraries.  Folk outside the UK might not realise it but, with all the cutbacks and austerity here, some councils, mostly in England, are closing libraries and there are lots of campaigns against the cuts.  Fortunately, in Scotland we have a devolved government and they have managed to avoid the worst depredations of the Tory-Lib. coalition in Westminster.  Our local library is a relatively new building and, although having had to trim its opening hours, seems to be thriving.  We have a computer suite, good lending department, children's activities, talks by well-known authors, dvd's, cd's, a reading group, computer games to borrow and/or play in the building, a big tv. showing BBC news channel, local and national newspapers and mags. and a good selection of GN's and tpb's. We use it regularly and membership, which is free, is going up.  It was run by Falkirk Council but is now run by Falkirk Community Trust who administer all the libraries in the district as well as sports grounds and the Hippodrome Cinema.  Long may it last.  Fingers crossed.
http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/venues/
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »

That's great, paw, LONG LIVE LIBRARIES!
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #306 on: November 11, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »

Absolute Monarchs by John Julius Norwich    A history of the Papacy- the good, the bad and the ugly.  Always interesting reading.

The Ancient Alien Question by Philip Coppens   Explores the question of extraterrestrial visitation of Earth over the years.  The author keeps a pretty balanced perspective looking over the evidence and the various theories.

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton   Grafton turns out one of the better Kinsey Milhone volumes in recent years.   

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins   I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  Okay teen reading.  I'd read another but am not rushing out to grab the next one just yet.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #307 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:23 AM »

With the cost of any number of devices becoming available for less than $50, I think it is inevitable, like it or not. I would like to see libraries evolve into virtual learning centers. Schools system everywhere are offering alternatives to classroom instruction. While this is a great fit for some students it is not for all. I think libraries can be co-opted to work along side these endeavors.
If by less than $50, you mean something like a Kindle, keep in mind that you still have to PAY for books that you read there. For FREE reads (like THIS wonderful site), you still need a (more expensive) regular computer. But I suppose in time they'll be affordable for all, too, and you will be proven right. Too bad, though. I'll miss the librarians I've developed friendships with.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »

Our local library system currently has downloads of e-books, audiobooks, music, and video available for free.  It seems to be a growing part of their services.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

moondood

message icon
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2012, 05:33:08 AM »

I had to put that Toka pulp novel down about 4 chapters in...the characters are prehistoric, but speak in jive--when they started to play baseball, I knew it wasn't the ERB-esque material I thought it was.  Switched to a short Pulp novel "Mystery of the Lost Race"--a WW2 tale about space-shifting Mongolians published in a 1942 Fantastic Adventures.  Lots better and a fun, pulpy read. Not sure what's next, but I've formatted a few pulp novel scans for my ipad, so I'll just check the roster and pick something.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »

I am on the second book of the Homelander series by noted author Andrew Klavan. It was recommended for those who liked The Hunger Games. It is good but the pace is much slower than hunger games and the book is too much first person perspective from the main character. I am enjoying it but I can see where the youth audience would like it more. I also think that I have the "main" mystery solved. If I do, then I am proud of myself, but somewhat disappointed in book for not fooling me. If you like a light action read then I would say give the series a try at $10 kindle price. If you require more from your reading then you may wish something more intense.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »

My latest book and I can't recommend it highly enough, was, Bryant & May and The Invisible Code, by Christopher Fowler.  This is the 10th. in the series and when I was at Wee John's today he showed me an ad in the back of those PS  Publishing reprint books (the ACG, Harvey and other horror titles reprints) for a comic book adaptation of Bryant & May:-
http://www.christopherfowler.co.uk/blog/2012/09/24/why-you-cant-find-the-bryant-may-graphic-novel-yet/

And coming up soon will be the latest English translation of a Montalbano story by Andrea Camilleri. As soon as it arrives at my local library, that is. These are so good and beautifully translated. Hope you've all been watching the tv show, at least.  Info here:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g81rs
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2012, 02:06:32 AM »

Just received via Amazon Tales of the Shadowmen Vol # 1 (very cheaply). Starting to read tonight. Anyone else read any of this stuff?

RB
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #313 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »

I did not know anything about it but it looks pretty good. While looking I saw Crossovers which looks pretty cool
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »

I've backed up my reading to start now with Myths for the Modern Age: Philip Jose Farmer's *Wold Newton Universe* Edited by Win Scott Eckertt the precursor to Crossover's I & II and is more of a guide and "fills in the blanks" kind of thing so far. it's 392 pages and I am only a 3rd through it. more later.

RB
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »

Masks # 2. Miss Fury and the Green Lama! with the Black Terror waiting in the wings! Hmmmm. Any general thoughts about mixing super-heroes with the pulp types?

RB

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #316 on: December 27, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »

I was suprised and disappointed to see Black Terror is to be in the next issue. The Green Lama is bad enough because I do not think his powers fit in with the other pulp characters. He is a pulp character however and the Black Terror is not.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #317 on: December 27, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »

I would prefer they stick to pulp heroes. I applaud the effort to introduce younger readers to some of the pulp greats. Hopefully they won't try to introduce too many characters and, thereby, do justice to none of them. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #318 on: December 27, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »

Well we are stuck with Miss Fury (even if she was a newspaper strip first) but the Black Terror is an insult as far as I am concerned. Why not the Domino Lady (Other than the fact that she is currently running over @ Moonstone Comics)? If you wanted super powers why not Doc Savage? O wait! He too is at Moonstone along with the Avenger and another Spider plus a handful of other pulp adventurers and such. I hope the case of Characters are set now with these additions. And I await the arrival of the new Zorro and the newly created Black Bat (even if the origin is wrong!) in action as themselves and not their civilian identities. Lets hope they've closed the door and won't add anyone else. Just my thoughts.

Hay! Would not a Dynamite and Moonstone crossover be fun?

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #319 on: December 27, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

I'll have to check these out.

Hey Richard, I hope you scan your Super Mystery 3 (Canadian) comic some day for sharing!  Looks cool!

-YOc
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »

Sorry Yoc. The cover was from one of the Canadian yahoo groups I belong to. It was sent to me to Identify the cover hero. Thats all.

RB

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:23 AM »

The President and the Assassin- by Scott Miller   This kind of reminded me of some of Erik Larson's historical books with several smaller stories weaving their way in and out to tell the big story which in this case is about America at the dawn of the 20th century and the events leading up to the assassination of President McKinley.

The Night Spider- by John Lutz   Good thriller in which the hunt for a serial killer takes some unexpected turns.  I'd rate it a bit higher but Lutz depends a little too much on coincidence to tie things together.

Tombstone Courage- by J. A. Vance   I prefer Vance's books about Cochise County Sheriff Joanna Brady over her books about J. P. Beaumont (who always seems like a harry Bosch light to me).  She gets the feel of rural Arizona down pretty well.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

I finally finished the Homelanders "quadrilogy." I am a sporadic reader and someone one who will read several comics in between as well as start another book that is handy before finishing one book. I would recommend the Homelanders as a good light read. It has a lot of action and several "how is he gonna get out of this" type of scenes. I tend to enjoy light reads in my old age. I have to have my mind in gear to teach so I like to let it relax.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2012, 10:30:36 PM »

Finally finished Myths for a Modern Age and Chronologies Vol # 1. Myths is an overview of sorts for Chronologies Vol's # 1 & 2 and helps explains the "holes" in both books and the need for both books. Chronologies Book 1 takes you from the beginning of time all the way up to 1939 and chronologically puts in order all the appearances of all the characters from all media's and all the crossovers and tries to explain (as best they can) the discrepancies that pop up (Myths is there for those they cannot or had not explained yet). Tales of the Shadowmen series also fills in these holes with stories that address these discrepancies or the appearances of them anyways. Best that I can do to describe these books. Now it
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #324 on: January 01, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »

I'm working on 'Area 51 Nightstakers' by Bob Mayer. I've read lots of the other books he has written, so I knew what I was getting into with it. Military action with a sci-fi theme/favor.
Soft back book by the way.

Geo
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.