in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152585 times)

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »

I'm reading a story where the Shadow meets Frankenstein in the short story book Tales of the Shadowmen Vol # 1. A good read. Well written and more in the spirit of what the Shadow represents. JMT.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »

Los Bros Lofficier did 2 books, Shadowmen 1 & 2, tracing the histories of Euro pulp characters, so these new Shadowmen tomes are, presumably, new fiction based on that research.  Sounds good to me.
I've just started Huntingtower by John Buchan, which I downloaded from Project Gutenberg.  I read a few John Buchan books at school but not this one.  I remember The 39 Steps; Greenmantle; The Power House as being really exciting and I now fancy reading them again - on my new tablet, of course.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »

Yes and this is Tales Of the Shadowmen Vol # 1 of 9 volumes. I am almost done with vol # 1.

RB @ work.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »

The female Phantom started January 11th. Have I already missed it  :o
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #329 on: February 02, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

Not only do I seem to have missed the start but I haven't even heard of it.  More info. PLEASE. :o

Meant to add that I'm halfway through the first story in The Lost Stars series by Jack Campbell, the writer who brought you Black Jack Geary and The Lost Fleet series.  This new one is good military s.f. entertainment and we met a couple of the characters in one of the Black Jack books.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:24:46 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #330 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »

I always have a lot of different things on the go and as a consequence I often don't finish any of the books that I pick up. But I've just started to read MAN OF TWO WORLDS by Julius Schwartz and it's a very easy read. If I didn't have other demands on my time, I'd probably be finished it by now because it's a real page turner.

For many many years now, I've wanted to read MAN OF TWO WORLDS. Somehow I missed it when it first came out and when I tried to find a copy, none of the stores in my area had it. I tried to get it on amazon.ca, but it was out of print--they had it from other sellers, but those always had it for an inflated price. I kept it on my wishlist until finally there was a seller last month that had it for a reasonable price and I ordered it.

I used to read a lot of science fiction when I was a growing boy and now Schwartz has got me thinking back to all those authors I loved. It would be interesting to read the sci fi fanzine that Schwartz and Weisinger published together when they were teenagers (what inspired Jerry Siegel to do the same thing). I wonder if any copies of that exist.

Also, Schwartz has got me wanting to look at some of the pulp magazines he sold stories to, when he was a literary agent. Looking at the pulps section on CB+ none of the titles Julie mentions are there. I wonder if any of them are in the public domain. Some magazines did go out of business, but a few still exist under different titles now.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:10 AM »

As of late I've been reading a Kindle version of "Moon Wreck" by Raymond L. Weil. If you like science fiction you most likely will like this series. He is to write a paperback version to be release in a couple of months I believe, a full story version.

Geo
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

Geo, I like the sound of Moon Wreck especially as I've been having difficulty finding S.F. that I really fancy.  There seems to be a dearth of the "cosmic wonder" style nowadays. I read all the Hutch books by Jack McDevitt   (I loved that "empty universe" idea) and some of his stand-alones and I've just finished Jack Campbell's Lost Stars first part and the 2nd part of The Lost Fleet, Beyond the Frontier series.  Both were good, exciting, military S.F. reads.
I also found some early Clifford Simak stories on Project Gutenberg, which was good as I used to be a big Simak fan.
Thanks for the tip.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »

Gutenburg has one of my favorites by Alen E. Nourse STAR SURGEON.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2013, 07:34:48 AM »

Just started re reading "the wailing Asteroid" by Murray Leinster.
Been around 50 years since I first read it. Lost my copy long ago but found a download of it online.

Found a poor quality download of the British film "the Terrornauts" based on the novel. That spurred my search for the novel online.

Great cover art.
http://manybooks.net/titles/leinstermother05wailingasteroid.html
Enjoy. 8)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »

Thanks for the link, Captain.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:40 AM »

I should've mentioned that after my previous post about MAN OF TWO WORLDS, the book took a terrible turn for me. After the first third of the book--which is all about Schwartz's early life in science fiction--I was thinking this book would be one of my all time favourite reads. But as soon as he gets into his life in comics, the book just loses any kind of flow and natural organization. Plus he leaves out a lot.

He even leaves out his friend Mort Weisinger. Weisinger figured so prominently in Schwartz's life (in the first third of the book), but Schwartz omits just how Weisinger ended up at DC. A crucial part of the story since Weisinger got Alfred Bester into comics and Bester got Schwartz into comics. So how did Mort get into comics--I dunno.

Schwartz is full of little interesting anecdotes--some of which I've read before, others I never knew--but he goes back and forth through time so much that if I didn't have a thorough knowledge of comics history, I would not know when different events were happening. The book is incredibly disjointed, after the first third that holds together so nicely.

One thing we miss is much insight into Schwartz's personal life after he starts at DC. On top of that he never gives much insight into the editing craft either. We just have to trust that he's some kind of editing savant who seemingly never had a life outside the office and all these great comics just happened by magic.

And the book is riddled with glaring mistakes--suggesting that it was never given much of a good copy edit or proofread. And not much of a substantive edit, either. What this book about a great editor sorely needed was a great editor. Which is really sad for me, because I can see the diamond in the rough that this book could have been. If this book had been published by a minor house, the lack of editorial oversight would be understandable--but this was published by HarperCollins, a leader in the publishing field (or has Rupert Murdoch left HarperCollins a shadow of its former self).

One parenthetical passage in the book's epilogue by the co-author, Brian M. Thomson, really had me scratching my head. Listing some of those who have passed away since the writing of the book began, he adds

"(not to mention the credited creators of Batman himself, Bob Kane and Joe Orlando)."

I just can't figure that one out, because it can't be a typo. The only credited creator of Batman was Bob Kane. We know that Bill Finger co-created Batman (but was never credited for it), but we also know (as covered in a charming anecdote in the body of the book) that Bill Finger died many years before this, so Thomson couldn't have meant Finger. Orlando only had a fleeting involvement with Batman years and years after the character was created and he was never anywhere near the DC offices when Batman was created. So I'm at a loss to figure out what Thomson meant to say in that comment--and because it comes so close to the end of the book, its ghost haunts me still.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »

http://bancadosgibisbrazucas.blogspot.com/

nice place to pick up some brazilian comics. Nice read if you can read portugese.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »

http://www.altuspress.com/

A nice place to visit.

RB

ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »

Read the Captain Midnight Special from Moonstone. Story was not much to write home about but the story was "readable" to service the cast of characters, which included Airboy and the Valkyre, Captain Midnight and two of his helpers, and two "Retro" ccharacters Commander X and his super submarine and Britannia whose Trident has many magical powers.

My only complaint is mixing retro characters with actual golden age characters but I suppose that is the norm these days. Still not a bad read.

RB @ work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »

I picked that up Wednesday but have not read it yet. I am sooooooo far behind in my reading.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

I'm so behind in gabbing about my book reading.  I'll try to catch up a little here.

Red Mars- Kim Stanley Robinson  The first in Robinson's award winning mars trilogy concerns the colonization of Mars.  Looking forward to reading the next one.

Inside Scientology- Janet Reitman   Reitman's history of L Ron Hubbard's church is not very complimentary.

11/22/63- Stephen King   Story of man who goes back in time to try to stop the assassination of JFK.  He learns it's not as easy as he hoped it would be.

Spandau Phoenix-  Greg Iles   Early Iles' spy/adventure follows WWII mysteries into present day.  Not bad but I prefer his more recent thrillers.

L. A. Requiem-  Robert Crais  We learn a lot more about Joe Pike's background as he and his partner, Elvis Cole, try to track down the killer of Cole's former girlfriend.  Good stuff.

Trunk Music-  Michael Connelly   Another fine Harry Bosch mystery has Bosch returning from a leave of absence and working a case that has him involved with (and often butting heads with) the mob, Internal Affairs, the Organized Crime Unit and others.

Coward's Kiss-  Lawrence Block   Another early pulpish Block book back in print.  Quick, fun read.

Moonraker-  Ian Fleming  Early Bond book is one of his lesser works, IMHO, and has little in common with it's later film adaptation (which is one of my least favorite Bond films).

Fire and Rain- David Browne  This book is subtitled "The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY and the Lost Story of 1970".  It tells the story of those various musicians in context with what was also going on in 1970.  Interesting, enjoyable read.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #342 on: April 07, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »

In the middle of, Blood on the Line by Edward Marston.  The most recent Inspector Colbeck mystery.  These are set in the early days of the railway in Britain.  Before that, I thoroughly enjoyed some military S.F. with Centre of Gravity by Ian Douglas.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/ian-douglas/center-of-gravity.htm 
Sneaking in some French BD, I just finished the first vol. of FOG.  Read the first few pages here:-
http://bdcomics.izneo.com/fog-tumulus-tome-1-A7152
OOps, spelled Centre the proper way - should of course read for you N.Americans, CENTER.  How strange.
I hope the rest of you are being as entertained as me with THE SIXTH GUN.  I'm charging through vol.4 and it's good gruesome stuff.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »

These days I'm housebound with a painful case of gouty arthritis. Desperate for distraction, I picked up my copy of ANNE FRANK by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon. I bought this in a children's bookstore a few months ago, as I was looking for books to use in the volunteer reading program I do at a local elementary school. This book is too far advanced for the kids I'm reading with now--but it would probably be suitable for kids 12 and older. I can only read small parts of it at a time, because it's very sad and depressing, but nevertheless profound and moving.

I read Jacobson and Colon's 9/11 REPORT a few years back. I thought that was one of the greatest comic books I've seen in recent years and I was impressed by how well they use the medium. It's kind of astounding that these are the same guys who created so many Harvey comics that gave me hours of fun when I was a little guy. It puts the lie to this idea that there's a best before date on creativity, although I doubt that Jacobson or Colon could have found any work at DC or Marvel.

These two books that they have done illustrate perfectly my own feeling about how comics can work. And that runs counter to the whole modern sensibilty. Most modern comic book creators and readers seem to think comics should be like movie storyboards and they reference Will Eisner's theory about comics as sequential art. Pictures have to tell the whole story and words are looked on as unwelcome guests in a panel. But for me comics are more like writing with pictures.

Jacobson and Colon use whatever works best to get the narrative across. So they use lots of text captions with illustrated panels, diagrams, charts, maps, speech balloons, and even thought balloons (gasp)! Instead of twisting themselves into pretzel shapes to try and follow the sequential art dictum--where everything has to be told through a sequence of pictures--they see their primary mission as effective communication. A picture may tell a thousand words, but sometimes a thousand words is much better at communicating complex ideas than one wordless picture.

The old folks still have something to teach our younger generation.

[Note: Looking on the internet, I see that Jacobson and Colon did another book like these two--that one is called CHE--I'll have to look for it.]
ip icon Logged

CLANAD

message icon
« Reply #344 on: May 10, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »

Well I've got a pretty good idea of the the various comics being read and the shows and movies being watched by some of you guys here on the message board but am also curious if anybody has been reading some interesting books.

I'll start this off with my summer reading and a few brief comments on each.

American Rebel: the Life of Clint Eastwood by Marc Eliot-The first Hollywood bio of Eliot's that I read (on Cary Grant) I found a bit too much on the gossipy side but he has gotten better and this was a decent look at one of Hollywood's current living legends.

How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove-my brother, knowing of my fondness for history and biography, recommended I try something from the "alternative history" genre.  This one was a quite enjoyable one where the south won the civil war and what the country could have like by the 1880s if that were the case.

Closed Circle by Robert Goddard-Like all of Goddard's books that I have read this one was an intricately plotted mystery with richly delineated characters.

The Lessons of History by Will & Ariel Durant-an expanded edition of their earlier work.

It's Superman by Tom DeHaven-Interesting take on the Superman legend.  Set in the 1930s as Clark Kent comes to terms with his powers and what to do with them.  Left open for sequels.

Ariel by Lawrence Block-Most of Block's books that I have read have been of the mystery/crime genre.  This one is more of a character study.

Death Du Jour by Kathy Reichs-I watch the Bones TV series so I thought I'd give a try to  one of the novels on which the series is based.  Well it was okay but the TV character has little in common with that on which she is based other than name and occupation. 

Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" by David Bianculli-I really liked this show when I was a kid.  Now I finally got the lowdown on why it was taken off the air.

Hollywood Buzz by Margit Liesche-mystery novel with a WWII/Hollywood background. 

A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring 20s- by Roger Kahn-The title makes the subject clear.  I found his research on Hollywood and the movies a bit sloppy when he got to that area of Dempsey's life but given that Kahn is a sports reporter I suspect he did better with the main aspect of the book. 

Columbine by Dave Cullen-a decade after the infamous school shooting reporter Cullen clears up many of the myths, half-truths and out right lies that sprang up in the days and weeks following the tragedy and provides a clear picture of what happened before, during and after the incident.

The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt & the Fire That Saved America by Timothy Egan-the title is a bit of an exaggeration.  It should be subtitled Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved the Forestry Department.  Still its a very good, well researched read.

The Turnaround by George Pelecanos-a racial incident decades ago and its aftermath on the various youths involved as they enter middle age.

Turning Angels by Greg Iles-Another good mystery from Iles involving murder, a sex scandal and drugs in a small Southern town.

The Enemy by Lee Child-Jack Reacher is the protagonist in all of Child's books that I have read.  This one looks at his past when he was still an army M. P. trying to solve some murders during the time of the fall of communism around 1990.

Living Dangerously: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper, Creator of King Kong by Mark Cotta Vaz-Cooper certainly did live a rich, exciting life.  A wartime flier, he was twice shot down and taken prisoner-first fighting for the Allies in WWI and later fighting with the Poles against the Russians in the aftermath of the Russian revolution. Later still he became both an important Hollywood producer and an early leader in the aviation industry.

Confessions, Romances, Secrets, and Temptations: Archer St. John and the St. John Romance Comics by John Benson-Benson's companion volume to his earlier collection of St. John romance stories.  Leaves me wanting to read more such writing on the company's output.  At least here at GAC I'll get a chance to read and look over many of the comics St. John published.

To Hell on a Fast Horse: Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Epic chase to Justice in the Old West by Mark Lee Garner-Well researched and entertaining read on the just what the title sez.

U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton-the latest Kinsey Milhone novel finds the P.I. solving a decades old kidnapping case while finding out more about her own past.

So any of the rest of you read something worth recommending (or worth telling us to avoid)?

Joe M
Got to love Eastwood,Might have to give it a try. I've been Listening to his son, Kyle Eastwood very good jazz...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #345 on: May 10, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »

Eastwood is great. I have slowly been reading a Bio of Stonewall Jackson in pieces every once in awhile. I am also reading IF WE SURVIVE  by Andrew Klavan the writer of the Clint Eastwood movie True Crime. It is an all ages reader that has been a very exciting book.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:45 AM »

Just throwing this out. My latest read is Extinction Machine, a Joe Ledger Novel by Jonathan Maberry who also was the author for Patient Zero which you may have heard/read about. Peace on...enjoy.

Geo
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #347 on: June 04, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »

Just finished part 3 of Thelost Fleet: Beyond theFrontier, by Jack Campbell.  Good s.f. series featuring Black Jack Geary. 
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

Redshirts by John Scalzi is a hugo nominee that I read. It's a hoot and a holler.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #349 on: July 21, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »

Raylan by Elmore Leonard   With the success of the Justified on television Leonard revisits his character.  It will be interesting to see if he turns it into a series- something he has stayed away from up until now.

Lando by Louis Lamour   I prefer Lamour's earlier works as they tend to have a bit more grit to them.  This one (part of the Sackett series) is from about midway in his career.

Murder by the Book by Rex Stout  Nero Wolfe.  Nuff Said!

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis   Decided to revisit the book after watching the movie a while back.

The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard  After Raylan I was still in the mood for some more Leonard so picked this one up.  It's a collection of short stories that contains the classic "3:10 to Yuma" among others.

Lost Kingdom: Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings, and America's First Imperial Adventure by Julia Flynn Siler  The title pretty much tells you what this is about. Don't know if this is the best book on the subject as it is really the first I have read but I did learn things from it.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 06:21:21 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.