in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152542 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #625 on: April 11, 2023, 05:31:11 AM »

I think there might be some Dave Berg work somewhere on CB+ - he worked for  a few companies during the 50's I believe. 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #626 on: April 11, 2023, 10:36:09 AM »

Oh yes, there seems to be a lot of Dave Berg here at CB+, thanks for the hint, Panther.  :)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #627 on: May 11, 2023, 04:17:32 AM »

I just finished Tumor: A Medical Noir by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Noel Tuazon, published by Oni Press in 2016. I learned about the book from Kevin Burton Smith's "Thrilling Detective" website. Smith frequently reviews graphic stories in addition to his regular diet of noir paperbacks and hardbacks.

Smith quotes from the Booklist review:

"Fialkov's near-perfect noir script, brim-full of violence and pain, is superbly realized by Tuazon's detailed yet sketchy black-and-white drawing, which depicts Frankís seesawing between hard-ass gumshoe and whimpering old man so convincingly it's scary. "

I'm hot and cold about the artwork (more later) but the review is on target about the script. Briefly, it's about an old, gone-to-seed private eye with a messed-up past who discovers that he has a metastasized brain tumor which will soon kill him--at the same time that his past catches up with him. He has a long shot at atoning for his past errors, but with his deteriorating mental condition he has trouble separating past from present and sometimes he's knocked out completely by a seizure. It's an intriguing premise and handled exceptionally well. I've never heard of Joshua Hale Fialkov, but his bio lists a bunch of mainstream comics he's written, none of which I've read. The tale is full of blood, guts, rotten people, and seedy locations, as one would expect in a noir story. Fialkov applies enough original touches that it seldom dips into cliche territory.

I can't decide how I feel about Noel Tuazon's artwork. He's another creator I've never heard of. His art is the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a noir comic. No heavy shadows or dramatic camera work. His drawings are so loose that half the time they look like they're layout sketches, or maybe they were banged out in one afternoon. Yet Tuazon definitely can draw. Despite his looseness he has a strong sense of character and occasionally shows that he's researched his locations. Not everyone needs to be Alex Toth, but I frequently wished the art was a just little tighter so I could see what was going on. The story whipsaws back and forth between present and past, so it's already hard to sort out who's who and where's what.

The story originally appeared in 2009, spread over eight issues of a comic. It must have been hell keeping the complicated story straight when delivered in chapters. I definitely recommend the compilation.

One incidental note. Like pretty much everyone else my language has coarsened over the years. I'm accustomed to profanity in real life and in fiction. That said, in contemporary noir it seems to be a rule that every character speaks in a torrent of cuss words. A friend called it the Tarantino Effect. I grant that fictional tough guys (and women) would be expected to curse a lot. But sometimes in Tumor the FPM (F***s Per Minute) count is so high that the dialogue begins to seem like parody. Just saying.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #628 on: May 14, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »

Polar research has fascinated me since I was a child and so I now bought: 'Erebus - The story of a Ship', by Michael Palin. (German Edition)

A great book, I really recommend it.  :)

Michael Palin was not only a member of Monty Python :o  ;D , but also President of the Royal Geographical Society from 2009 to 2012, with which he had previously been associated in various capacities for many years.

INFO

https://www.amazon.de/Erebus-Story-Ship-Michael-Palin/dp/184794812X

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #629 on: June 17, 2023, 07:00:54 PM »

Polar research has fascinated me since I was a child and so I now bought: 'Erebus - The story of a Ship', by Michael Palin. (German Edition)

A great book, I really recommend it.  :)

Michael Palin was not only a member of Monty Python :o  ;D , but also President of the Royal Geographical Society from 2009 to 2012, with which he had previously been associated in various capacities for many years.
INFO

https://www.amazon.de/Erebus-Story-Ship-Michael-Palin/dp/184794812X

Have you seen Michael Palin's TV series, "From Pole To Pole", it is excellent.  He also had another excellent, Geographical Society-funded travellog-style series which covers The World from a different angle.  Unfortunately, I can't remember its title.

And covering something completely different, comedy, I loved his tongue-in-cheek comedy series, "Ripping Yarns"

Of course, Monty pythonesque comedy is among my favourite styles.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #630 on: June 18, 2023, 05:47:40 AM »

When I find a good fiction thriller I can't put it down and have to read it to finish it, so there goes at least most of one whole day or if the book is larger, most of 2 days. [my reading speed would be the lower leverl for speed reading.]
My latest find looks like fiction designed for women by the cover, so I almost didn't pick it up.
But, as is my wont, I read the first paragraph to check it out, and I was hooked.
Here it is.
" To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should  be noted, was still twitching on the floor."
Hooked. Line and sinker.
The book was 'Silent in the Grave' by DeAnna Raybourn. The first in a series set in the 1880's featuring the protagonist, Lady Julia Grey and the detective Nicholoas Brisbane.
What we have here is a cross between Downton Abbey, [Julia's disfunctional upperclass english family]   and Lorna Doone and the Holmes canon [Brisbane is a cross between Holmes and Heathcliffe]
Deanna Raybourn? 
Deanna Raybourn graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio in English and History and an emphasis on Shakespearean Studies. She taught high school English for three years in San Antonio before leaving education to pursue a career as a novelist. 

Let me tell you, she can write! The sort of prose you can happily go back to and enjoy more than once. 
I did work out who the murderer was, but only after I had read most of the book.
Lady Julia Grey - A series by Deanna Raybourn
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/r/deanna-raybourn/lady-julia-grey/
Thoroughly recommended. Enjoy! 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 06:23:29 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #631 on: June 18, 2023, 09:08:52 AM »

Have you seen Michael Palin's TV series, "From Pole To Pole" ...

In fact, I haven't seen those two documentaries yet, thanks Robb for the hint. :)

P.S.
If there really are an infinite number of universes, then there is certainly one in which The Marx Brothers and The Pythons make movies and sketches together.  ;D
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #632 on: July 29, 2023, 12:15:04 PM »

I am currently reading a special book about Neil Young, it is a compilation of articles, interviews and reviews from 1967 to 1993 (?) from the music magazine 'Rolling Stone'.

Original title:

Neil Young, the Rolling Stone Files
The Ultimate Compendium of Interviews, Articles, Facts, and Opinions from the Files of Rolling Stone by Hyperion Books 1994.

Fortunately, the book is also available in a German language edition. 8)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #633 on: July 30, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »

If there really are an infinite number of universes, then there is certainly one in which The Marx Brothers and The Pythons make movies and sketches together.  ;D

I once did a comic-book in which The Monkees crossed paths with the cast of F TROOP...
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #634 on: August 03, 2023, 07:49:57 AM »

I think there was definitely music and fun in the story. :D

By the way, I didn't know 'F Troop', it's probably one of the few series that wasn't shown on German TV, although in the 1960s a large number of U.S. Series were shown in Germany.

I was able to get an impression of the series on Youtube.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #635 on: August 03, 2023, 10:58:57 AM »

F Troop - Fort Lee, Salutes Fort Courage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glDx7Q-6y-c&ab_channel=ClassicBlackandWhite

Anybody who is a Marx Brothers fan should love F Troop.
Was huge in Australia. A short series tho.
I have all of it on DVD.

cheers!     
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #636 on: August 03, 2023, 04:20:30 PM »

I have a number of sitcoms on my "wanted" list.

I just ordered THE NEW WKRP IN CINCINNATI, which is only available unofficially.  I loved most of that 2-year revival when it was first-run, and it'll be nice to upgrade it from my own self-recorded videotapes.

After that, in order:

F TROOP
GET SMART
THE NANNY

When I did my parody "mashup" GALACTON 2230 (essentially, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA meets STAR TREK) back in 1980-84, one of my favorite parts was when I had THE MONKEES (as Colonial Warriors) cross paths with the cast of F TROOP (as Klingons).

"It's these uniforms we're wearin', Sarge! They stand out like a Telarite at an Andorian Bar Mitzvah!"

;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #637 on: August 22, 2023, 02:15:43 PM »

Hitchcock/Truffaut

A 1966 book by François Truffaut about Alfred Hitchcock and his movies, originally released in French as 'Le Cinéma selon Alfred Hitchcock'.

I've heard about this book from time to time over the past few decades and now I have it, in a German edition ;) and I am very happy about it. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcock/Truffaut
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 02:19:01 PM by Comickraut »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #638 on: August 23, 2023, 01:01:15 AM »

A 1966 book by François Truffaut about Alfred Hitchcock and his movies, originally released in French as 'Le Cinéma selon Alfred Hitchcock'.

I read this back in the 70's. In terms of understanding film and story-telling in general, it changed my life.
It is a dialogue between Truffaut and Hitchcock as they discuss all of Hitchcock's films. This should be a 'Bible' for anyone who wants to learn and understand visual story-telling.
You want to write and draw comics - you must read this book!
Good find, Comickraut!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitchcocktruffaut [Film Trailer]

Hitchcock / Truffaut. (2015). Subtitulado en español.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHo9aXh6nk

Get this before YouTube deletes it! Some of the dialogue is in Spanish.   

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #639 on: August 24, 2023, 07:56:43 AM »

Good find, Comickraut!

Thank you Panther, I'm also really glad I finally got this book. By the way, I also have the film in my collection, I just haven't seen it yet  :-[ :D . . . There's so much to read, see and hear, maybe I should make a list and work through it. ;D

By the way, you can also switch on English subtitles in the YT film, which is certainly very helpful for many whose native language is not English.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2023, 12:04:45 PM »

I'm currently reading a Mandrake comic book that I found on archive.org. 8)
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #641 on: October 26, 2023, 10:40:53 AM »

As a big fan of the musical 'Hair', I am very happy about purchasing a "new" book, you can see it in an example photo here:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WRoAAOSwMiJk31W5/s-l1600.jpg

I have the 6th edition from 1970 and my copy is in almost the same condition as the book in the photo. Considering that it was printed in the USA over 50 years ago and is now finally on my shelf after what must have been a long journey, it is in pretty good condition. I only paid € 4 for my copy in a German antiquarian bookshop!

By the way, many versions of the musical, in different languages too, can be found on archive.org and on YouTube. I personally prefer the Original Broadway Cast and Original London Cast versions. There are also German-language versions, but I don't really like them ???, nor the versions in other languages. I think it's good that 'Hair' was translated into other languages to bring it closer to people, but the English language is the original language from 'Hair' und just perfect for 'Hair', it doesn't get any better than that and you shouldn't change that.  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 10:44:27 AM by Comickraut »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #642 on: October 26, 2023, 09:09:39 PM »

I agree with you, Comickraut, but not just because it was the original language. The subject of "Hair" was a particularly American one, because of the times. It was a quite controversial musical, some regarded it as almost treasonous while many more loved it. There were slang expressions and nuances in the play (and more so in the film) that might not translate properly into another language. Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #643 on: October 29, 2023, 10:29:35 AM »

It's true, of course, Bowers, that 'Hair' is primarily a musical with US-American topics, but on the one hand, everything that happened in the USA was important to the world at the time and, on the other hand, 'Hair' also addresses many topics that are universal topics and that touched and moved people, no matter in which country. In my opinion, 'Hair' managed the balancing act between national and general topics, which is certainly one reason for its worldwide success. However, some texts were also adapted to the historical and political conditions of the countries in which 'Hair' was performed in the respective national language.

And of course we can't forget the great music of Gal McDermot and the great singing of the various ensembles, which also reached people who don't understand English.

In an older music guide I read the following: Jerome Ragni and James Rado, the authors, were originally the main actors, but they kept adding spontaneous provocations until they were banned from the house by the producer :D. 'Hair' was initially banned by courts in Boston, Paris, and all of Mexico, for example, and was only allowed to be performed in London and Hamburg when some of the texts were defused.

Beste Grüße, Mike :)
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #644 on: October 29, 2023, 05:46:34 PM »

Good points, Mike! Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #645 on: December 20, 2023, 12:42:46 AM »

Faced with a sleepless night as I enjoyed my bout of Covid, I fired up Librivox and browsed for an old novel with a catchy title. I ended up with The Brotherhood of the Seven Kings by L.T. Meade and Robert Eustace. It was published in England in 1899.

The book is a "sensational mystery" adventure along the lines of Edgar Wallace and Sax Rohmer. Set in London in the mid-1890s, it's narrated by one Norman Head. Head tells us he is a wealthy man who was trained in biology and medicine. During his younger years he fell helplessly in love with Katherine, a beautiful and manipulative Italian woman who was also an accomplished scientist. Then he discovered that she was in fact the leader of a ruthless criminal society, The Brotherhood of the Seven Kings. Dazzled by her beauty and intellect he allowed himself to be sucked into her world. He joined the Brotherhood and went along with its work until he was ordered to participate in a "dishonorable and treacherous" crime that was too much for him. He shook himself loose and fled to England. Racked with shame and guilt he used his wealth to set up a private research laboratory. There he has spent a decade doing research for the sheer love of it and hiding from the world. Everything changes when an old friend introduces him to Madame Koluchy.

London society is abuzz over this stunning beauty. Charming, witty, intelligent, medically-trained, she is the hit of the season. Mesmerized by her magnetic personality, half the city's upper crust flocks to her for help, advice, and miracle cures. Head recognizes her at once as Katherine, the criminal mastermind, come to drain the pockets of her besotted admirers. Head vows to devote his life to exposing Madame Koluchy, finding sufficient evidence to bring her to court, and putting her gang out of business. He convinces his friend, lawyer Colin Dufrayer, of Madame's true nature. Over the course of the book the two men struggle together to bring her to justice.

The story of his quest is told in ten two-part chapters. In each chapter Head and Dufrayer face a new crisis engineered by Madame Koluchy. Though their story continues through the book, each crisis is resolved--some in their favor, some in Madame's--and the secondary characters involved never reappear. Research told me that the chapters were originally individual stories in The Strand magazine. Illustrated by Sidney Paget, no less. The stories were even turned into a stage play.

An online review described the book as "pedestrian with flashes of interest." That's a fair assessment. The opening stories hold interest, then fade somewhat, and come roaring back for a slam-bang finish embellished with 19th-century superscience. There's even a Batman-style fiendish death trap. It's worth a read if you like these old-fashioned gaslight adventures.

One peculiarity is that the opening describes the Brotherhood of the Seven Kings as being at least a century old and had "a name hardly whispered without horror and fear in Italy." An early episode suggests the Brotherhood has a long cross-generational history. But this angle is soon dropped and the Brotherhood operates more like a tightly-knit criminal gang than a mini-Mafia. It's made clear that if Madame K were put out of the picture the operation would fall apart. We never learn who the Seven Kings were and why the gang chose that name.

Being in the public domain, The Brotherhood of the Seven Kings is available all over the place. Librivox has a good audiobook, the one I spent seven sleep-free hours listening to. Project Gutenberg has the book in text form, and Wikisource has a good-looking version with the Paget illustrations.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Brotherhood_of_the_Seven_Kings
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #646 on: January 04, 2024, 01:24:06 PM »

At the beginning of the new year I bought books that I didn't have before or only had in abridged form. I love these books and can now finally read them in the unabridged versions.

Mark Twain – Travel Books

- A Tramp Abroad (Europe)
- Stirring times in Austria
- The innocents abroad or The progress of the new Pilgrims
‎- Follow the Equator. A trip around the world

Fortunately, I already have Mark Twain's other books.  :)

In honor of Mark Twain, of course I bought the books in German translations, because as is well known, Mark Twain was a great friend of German writing and language, I remember his famous essay "The Wonderful German Language".  ;)

;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #647 on: January 04, 2024, 10:09:38 PM »

Excellent reading, comicMike!

Twain went bankrupt from bad investments and so became the world's first professional travel writer.
He had been extremely wealthy so people came to him to invest in their inventions.
He had a choice of two.
One was a new kind of printing press, which was quite complex. Twain had had experience with printing, so he choose to invest all he had in it. It failed and he lost all his money.
The one he didn't invest in?
Fellow called Alexander Grahame Bell and something he called the Telephone!

I've read the collection of his pieces on Australia. And several other works! A very modern writer for his time.
Viel Spaß beim Lesen!!!       
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #648 on: January 07, 2024, 10:30:38 AM »

Viel Spaß beim Lesen!!!

Danke schön!  :)

I also found a nice 'Tom Sawyer' comic book on CB+

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16835

Whether in the book, film, or comic, 'Injun Joe' is always terrifying. :o

P.S.
Here is the beautiful essay by Mark Twain: The Awful German Language   ;D

https://faculty.georgetown.edu/jod/texts/twain.german.html 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:33:50 AM by ComicMike »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #649 on: January 07, 2024, 12:06:07 PM »

The Awful German Language 

I had to learn it at high School and we had a teacher who was a native Deutsch speaker and who had no idea how to teach it, so the whole class was in rebellion against her.
I daresay that a German speaker could say pretty much about English. Over in the reading group we have been discussing the difficulty of understanding different English dialects, in particular the Scottish 'The Broons' comic strip and the US 'Pogo' strip. I'm fairly cynical about A.I.'s ability to cope with ever evolving languages. 
the broons 1- dunbar street
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlKibwGbNyo&ab_channel=TaniaandPaulDonnachie
"Deck Us All With Boston Charlie " - Walt Kelly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL0lPcNwRqQ&ab_channel=ArnieGubins
Oh, Why didn't I post this for Christmas?!
Oh, and;-
I teach English as a second language, and some students think that their language is much more complex than English, so I always wanted to take the class to see a performance of Shakespeare.

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.