in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"Is Frankenstein public domain?"

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: "Is Frankenstein public domain?"  (Read 3169 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
"Is Frankenstein public domain?"
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »

Just in time for Halloween, our friends at Flashback Universe Blog ask: "Is Frankenstein in the public domain?"

http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/2010/10/is-frankenstein-in-public-domain.html

Enjoy!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: "Is Frankenstein public domain?"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »

Just in time for Halloween, our friends at Flashback Universe Blog ask: "Is Frankenstein in the public domain?"

http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/2010/10/is-frankenstein-in-public-domain.html

Enjoy!  ;D

B.

The original Mary Shelley novel is definitely PD. 

Most of the many Frankenstein films are still copyrighted.  The 1910 Edison one reel version of Frankenstein and the 1950s Tales of Tomorrow TV episode of "Frankenstein" (with Lon Chaney, Jr). are two notable exceptions that are PD.

In addition, IIRC, Universal Pictures has some sort of trademark protection on the Boris Karloff based image of the monster (flat top head, bolts in neck, etc...).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »

I found that Tales of Tomorrow episode at my grocery store! lol
It was a three episode DVD selling for a whopping one dollar. Slim, plastic case and simple paper insert for the cover but it was above average for quality of transfer.
Just goes to show you never know where you will find cool stuff.  8)
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »

Just goes to show you never know where you will find cool stuff.  8)

I found a TV mini-series on DVD I didn't know existed at Wal-mart for $5. Not that I shop at Wal-mart, but must have that day.

As a kid, did anyone else dream of finding a yard sale with some little old lady trying to get rid of a bunch of old comics she found in her attic, and of course, they would be like Action #1, Detective #27? Yeah, that never happened.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »

yeah but we all had the dream Oh to find a Mile High collection
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »

yeah but we all had the dream Oh to find a Mile High collection

Is it sad that if most of us had time machines, the first thing we'd likely do is travel back in time to buy comics? Of course, getting the right coins could be a problem. Hmmm...
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »

Roy I have often day dreamed of just such. I thought through the getting old money which is not very expensive in poor condition and buying comics. I also day dream about going back in time and getting a job in one of the studios and collecting all the original art and records of who actually did the art and writing
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:59 AM »

I can just imagine all of us traveling back in time, hoarding all the comics only to come back and found out they're worthless because there are so many copies! ;D
Then again, just imagine the wonderful scans we could get from mint condition books!  ;)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 02:56:12 AM »

Enjoy!  ;D

B.

The original Mary Shelley novel is definitely PD. 

Most of the many Frankenstein films are still copyrighted.  The 1910 Edison one reel version of Frankenstein and the 1950s Tales of Tomorrow TV episode of "Frankenstein" (with Lon Chaney, Jr). are two notable exceptions that are PD.

In addition, IIRC, Universal Pictures has some sort of trademark protection on the Boris Karloff based image of the monster (flat top head, bolts in neck, etc...).

Best

Joe

Theres a two part pilot for a Frankenstein TV series I found on the net years ago, not sure if I saved it to this PC or the previous PC which got erased.
If I can find it, and can back track it, I'll post a link to where I found it.
Its from early 60's by the look (B&W), and starred a European actor I've seen often playing a NAZI henchman or assasin. It could have been made in Europe from what I remember of it. It had a Hammer Films air about it.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.