in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Listenin' to

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Listenin' to  (Read 90753 times)

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Listenin' to
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »

Wee Andy Hope, would you Adam and Eve it?  How amazing.  Thanks for the information, Richard, there are a few folk who should know about this but they probably do as I'm always at the coo's tale.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »

you are very welcome Mr. Broon.

Kindly

Mr Goldenage
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:25 AM »

Wee Andy Hope, would you Adam and Eve it?  How amazing.  Thanks for the information, Richard, there are a few folk who should know about this but they probably do as I'm always at the coo's tale.
Adam and Eve it? Coo's tale? I'm confused as usual. I hardly understand the slang on THIS side of the pond as it is!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »

Welcome back Robin we have not heard from you in awhile. I am also confused by the expression Adam and Eve it
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »

If I'm not mistaken "Adam and Eve" is Cockney slang for "Believe".
Some of their rhyming slang, IIRC.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »

Correct rhyming slang!

One of the few that is actually used nowadays.

Anyway I am going down the apples and pears to make myself a cup of rosie lee. Feel a bit thirty after the ruby (murray) I had last night.

"The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language." attrb George Bernard Shaw

We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language
Oscar Wilde
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »

Yeah, I got it right.  We don't use that rhyming slang in Scotland but hear it regularly on tv.  As for your ruby, Mark, in central Scotland, around Cumbernauld, we called it a Gordon, after a provost, Gordon Murray.
Coo's tale, however is very Scottish and refers to the tale of the cow which always brings up the rear, very appropriate as I'm usually last to find out stuff.
By the way, I was at Andy's wedding, all those years ago.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »

SO I got the right Andy then I take it?

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »

Yes, indeedy.  There was a big fan scene in Glasgow years ago and a lot of young and not so young Scottish creators coming up.  Andy was one of them and some of us thought he had potential.  Glad he's back with one of the big boys.  Scottish creators around that time incl. Morrison, Alan Grant, John Wagner, Dom Regan (who is very good but has never realised his full potential), Cam Kennedy, Jim Baikie.   Mark Millar I think was still not quite into it but my memory is failing me on that. And folk like Sandy Calder were still very much at work.  Quite a few more but I'd need a lie down in a dark room to help me remember.  A couple of years later it was Frank Quietly's time, of course.  He gave me one of his pages for The Greens from Electric Soup and it's excellent.
Here's a bit about Vincent from Down The Tubes blog:-
http://www.downthetubes.net/features/interviews/artists/frank_quitely_0508.html
And here are a couple of Greens pages:-
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/Fjordy/Urban%20Glasgow/greens004.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/Fjordy/Urban%20Glasgow/green005.jpg
And a page of joke strips:-
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd212/Fjordy/Urban%20Glasgow/FQ001.jpg

More Greens here:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24465107@N00/sets/72157624427251797/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:26:13 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »

Thanks Paw.....those were all very interesting. As a scribbler of dubious line work once in a while I always like to look at other peoples work.

RB

ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »

OTR listened to over the Holidays included 33 Half Moon Street, Adventurer's Club, Dragnet, Lux Radio Theatre, Campbell Playhouse, Kraft Music Hall, The Jack Benny Show, Burns and Allen, The Great Gildersleeve, Weird Circle, The Six Shooter, The Bob Hope Show, Rocky Fortune, Suspense, Boston Blackie, Lights Out, Ambassadors of Melodyland, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Alan Young Show, Our Miss Brooks, Gunsmoke and the 26 part Christmas serial Jonathan Thomas and His Christmas on the Moon from 1938.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »

New Year's Day ,as I was taking down and boxing up my holiday nutcraker display (about 300 or so), I decided it was time for some blues. B.B. King, Albert King, Jonny Lang ( highly underrated), and one of my all-time favorites Gary Moore. This guy died way too soon. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »

Hey, Bowers, that's a nice playlist and I know s.f.a. about Jonny Lang but I'll look him up. Ta.
While cooking the other night, I fancied some tunes ( the radio news was seriously depressing)  But rather than my usual Dr. Feelgood or Small Faces, I dug out Jay and the Americans greatest hits c.d.  Forgotten how good it was, simply good pop music.  But I'm always surprised that the c.d. is greatest hits and doesn't include, "Living Above Your Head", which is a much better version than the Walker Bros. attempt.
You're right about Gary Moore.

Have you tried Mick Green from The Pirates?  Not blues but exciting RnB stuff.  He checked out recently and it was a great loss.  Sounded like there were 2 guitarists on the stage.
And my favourite player has to be Peter Green (no relation) With John Mayall and Early Fleetwood Mac, when they were good, of course.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »

Holy Cow, Paw! How could I not have heard of this guy or the Pirates? Just looked up some of his stuff on You Tube- "Lonesome Train" and a TV jam with McCartney. This guy was a beast! "Living Above your Head" was, indeed, one of Jay's better songs, but oddly enough it never got much airplay on Top 40 format stations over here. Dead-on about Mayall and early Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's "Jumping at Shadows" still blows me away. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »

OK, I found Jonny Lang and I have a lot of catching up to do.  Ta.  Glad you "found" Mick Green.    As you probably know by now, Wilko from Dr. Feelgood lists M.G. as a huge influence on his style.  Sorry if I'm teaching my granny how tae sook eggs but, if you haven't got there yet, have look and listen to this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSx700tJ5Q
And here on ToTP:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSx700tJ5Q
And talk about stripped down RnB?  Try this - what a great riff.:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nyeSGaBcrA

Sound quality is poor but a pal saw them live in this line-up and he still raves about it.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »

It may be of interest for some here to know that there was a live version of Peter Green and the original members of Santanna (yes, the singer, too) playing "Black Magic Woman" at a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony, which is on DVD. MAYBE it's on youtube, too, but I don't know for sure on that one.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »

Always glad to get links, Paw! Wilko RULES! I remember hearing a little Dr. Feelgood long ago, but I had really forgotten how good and raw they could be. Great music and great memories. Still looking for that Peter Green/ Santana gig, unclerobin. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »

Unca Robin, sorry, I forgot about your mention of Peter Green and Santana but, hopefully not too late, I found it here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMy16GzKQgo
I was never a big Santana fan and thought his band sometimes looked like a showband. Mind, Carlos was playing rather well on this one.  It's just a bit flash imo.
So here's how it should be done, live:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRu7Pt42x6Y
I saw this line up of Fleetwood Mac at the Greens, Glasgow, long time ago, obviously.  What a night.
Bowers, did I post the Pretty Things with Dave Gilmour guesting and intro by the wonderful Arthur Brown?  If not, you might enjoy this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRu7Pt42x6Y
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »

Yet another great band you've introduced me to, Paw. Pretty Things earlier stuff like "Come See Me" and "Don't Bring Me Down" reminds me a lot of the Standells and The Seeds. Love it all! At the time it was pretty hard to find Brit music except for the biggies and a lot of "one-hit wonders".  This was pre-FM and Top 40 had a lock on the radio. We were bombarded with way too much Motown and middle of the road pop. Luckily, we lived not too far from the Canadian border and could often go up for a  weekend of dancing in the clubs and buying some great stuff in the record shops. Vancouver was an 18 year-olds dream! (Sure was murder on the paycheck!) Thanks again for the  links! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2013, 05:04:14 AM »

In them days, here in Vancouver, even my older brother was too young to go to the nightclubs. But every weekend he would go to Kelly's record store and come home with a bunch of 45s. Lots of British Invasion bands--I swear he knew about these groups before anybody else in our area.

The closest we came to the club scene was watching shows like Club 6, Music Hop, and Let's Go on the TV. I remember that a featured girl on Let's Go was a teen named Susan Pesklevits. On that show she met Terry Jacks, they got married and became the Poppy Family. Susan Jacks is probably best known for "Which Way You Goin' Billy."

Right now though, I'm listenin' to the Andrews Sisters. My parents loved this trio--had some of their 78s--when I was a kid, I'm sad to say I never fully appreciated that. But wow, the Andrew Sisters were the bomb. RIP Patty.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2013, 05:23:38 AM »

Welcome to the gang, Jimmm! Always good to hear from a northern neighbor- Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »

In the early '60's, in Scotland it wasn't easy to hear rock and roll.  Late'50's as well.  There was  BBC radio which had shows where corny singers covered pop songs and record shows with a lot of light entertainment type music.  But there was also Radio Luxemburg which could be found on medium wave on 208 and they played pop music.  It was a revelation the first time I found it on my wee transistor radio.  They did a top twenty show at 11 pm. when I should have been sound asleep but, like thousands of others, I was listening under the blankets.  The sound was always fading away and coming back but that was where I heard Duane Eddy, The Kinks and all the rest for the first time.
But BBC tv did a show called the 6.5. Special with occasionally, Vince Eager, Tommy Steele.
Listen, forget all this stuff and listen to The Big Three - very early Mersey Beat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRfQ-hm3APs
Brian Griffiths was a great guitarist and they were hard as nails.  Epstein ruined them.  Much better live than on record.  Brian Griffiths now lives in Canada.
Here's the recording of Peanut butter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4F1P1glISc
This is 1963 for goodness sake.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »

Paw that is SO COOL! I probably shouldn't, but what the hell here are the lyrics. (I like crunchy no added salt or sugar .. bit difficult to find)

There's a food goin' around
That's a sticky, sticky, goo
(Peanut, peanut butter)
A-well, it tastes real good
But it's so hard to chew
(Peanut, peanut butter)

All my friends tell me
That they dig it the mo-ho-ost
(Peanut, peanut butter)
Early in the morning
When they spread it on to-oh-oast
(Peanut, peanut butter)

I like peanut butter
Creamy, peanut butter,
Chunky, peanut butter, too

'Come on now, take a lesson, now!'
(Peanut, peanut butter)

'Open up your jaw, now!'
(Peanut, peanut butter)

'Spread it on your cracker, now!'
(Peanut, peanut butter)

'Stop, now'
(Peanut, peanut butter)

I like peanut butter
Creamy, peanut butter,

We-eee-ell
I went to a dinner
And-a what did they e-e-eat?
(Peanut, peanut butter)
A-well, I took a big bite
And it stuck to my te-e-eeth
(Peanut, peanut butter)

Now, ev'rybody looks
A-like they've got the mumps
(He loves peanut butter)
Eat his peanut butter
In-a great big hunk
(He loves peanut butter)

I like peanut butter
Creamy, peanut butter

I like peanut butter
Creamy, peanut butter
Chunky, peanut butter, too.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »

Pure gallus, big man.  Now we can all jump around and shoogle oor wallies along with the band.  Well done but I prefer my peanuts in a satay sauce, now that's tasty.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.