in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Listenin' to

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Listenin' to  (Read 90673 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Listenin' to
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »

I don't know anything about Crazy Hillbillys or Mr Malone. Are they worth checking out?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »

Crazy Hillbillies is a country-western music show so it depends om how you feel about vintage C-W music.  The Amazing Mr. Malone is a criminal lawyer who is always solving mysteries to clear his clients.  The ones I've heard have all been good.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »

Thanks I may give Malone a try ;)
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »

I've been copying more music to my computer, lately, to convert into mp3's.  Stuff like Elvis (especially "Kentucky Rain"), Heat's Dog & Butterfly, The Fifth Dimension's "Up, Up and Away" (remember that one?), Lindsey Buckingham's "Trouble", Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", and more. 

I dug out my old "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball", a record of an event to benefit Amnesty International.  It's from 1981, and several British musicians volunteered to perform at it.  The record captures some of these performances by Sting, Phil Collins, Eric Claption and Jeff Beck, Bob Geldof, and Donovan.  The Phil Collins and Sting peformances are especially interesting.  Phil doing "In The Air Tonight" with just himself on piano.  I especially love Sting's haunting version of "Message In A Bottle", as it's just him accompanying himself on guitar, no bass guitar, keyboards, or drums.  And now I've got it recorded on the computer!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »

I was writing a short piece for Mass Observation last night and, as usual, I like a little music as background and I've recently been re-listening to EST
Obituary piece here:-
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=29803#.UImKVYb3s3w

so I dug out  tuesday wonderland   and it was great - what a noise.  So sad he's gone.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:42 AM »

Pardon my ignorance Paw but what would a short Piece for Mass Observation be? Does Catholic mass have a lay spokesman or.....?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »

Now that's funny.  No ignorance displayed at all.  I sometimes forget that most of you are thousands of miles away in foreign countries and what I take for granted could be odd or unknown to you.  Mass Observation is nothing to do with religion, apart from directives that might ask writers to consider some aspect of it.  It encompasses everyday life and anonymous views and opinions of everyday life and events.
This is what it's about:-
http://www.massobs.org.uk/index.htm
The archive is based at the University of Sussex, not that far from Mark.
Actually, I hoped my post might interest others in the music of e.s.t. but I understand that jazz isn't to everybody's taste.  Ah well.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »

In jazz, I generally go for smooth jazz, like Bob James and Brian Culbertson, but I have run across some more interesting stuff from the Pat Matheny Group, and Ben Allison and Medicine Wheel.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »

That's all news to me as well. I have never heard of it before, will have a good sniff around. And yes it is right on my doorstep, but again that is just the instigators it's a virtual world:)

But Paw what happens after the referendum? Will you still be able to contribute?
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »

I've been copying more music to my computer, lately, to convert into mp3's.  Stuff like Elvis (especially "Kentucky Rain"), Heat's Dog & Butterfly, The Fifth Dimension's "Up, Up and Away" (remember that one?), Lindsey Buckingham's "Trouble", Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", and more. 

I dug out my old "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball", a record of an event to benefit Amnesty International.  It's from 1981, and several British musicians volunteered to perform at it.  The record captures some of these performances by Sting, Phil Collins, Eric Claption and Jeff Beck, Bob Geldof, and Donovan.  The Phil Collins and Sting peformances are especially interesting.  Phil doing "In The Air Tonight" with just himself on piano.  I especially love Sting's haunting version of "Message In A Bottle", as it's just him accompanying himself on guitar, no bass guitar, keyboards, or drums.  And now I've got it recorded on the computer!
Hey, macsnafu (great name!), did you ever see the video of Paul McCartney and Rockestra from the first Secret Policemen's Ball? I always got a kick out of the faces Pete Townshend made in that one, I heard he had a pretty good buzz on, booze, I think. The music ("Lucille") was excellent, too!
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »

Hey, paw, I don't know if it qualifies as jazz, but I was always partial to MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW, by Kenny Ball (and his Orchestra? Something like that). It's on youtube, I think just punching in Kenny Ball as the artist works good enough. I always liked that one.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »

Mark, of all the problems about an indie Scotland, contributing to M.O. is right up there along with, would we still be in the EU? What do we do with those nuclear subs? What currency would we have? etc. and blah, blah, blah.  But as we always, historically, had closer relations with France than England, we should at least be able to get a decent bottle of wine.
Unca Robin, Midnight in Moscow was a huge hit in the U.K. and I think we had the 45 at one time.  Here's his site (and it's..........and his Jazzmen):-
http://www.kennyball.co.uk/
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

Being an old codger, I regularly go back to the music I knew in the '60's and one of my all time favourite bands were The Pretty Things - not to everyone's taste, but there we are.  Here are The Pretty Things, in a later incarnation, 1998, it says, playing at Abbey Road.  Arthur Brown does the introduction (and how cool is that?) and Dave Gilmour guests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczOqfnVyB8
And here are the old codgers in Germany with the amazing Dick Taylor, in the glasses, still givin' it laldy:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTCMr4RNIw&feature=related
Other bands that were just sooooo good were The Small Faces that I mentioned on CB+ ages ago.
This is them with the lovely P.P. Arnold.  Miming but it's great to see them .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKZoFRpZCI
Here's Afterglow:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUyipjXgfo
And, Song of a Baker, with Plonk exercising his tonsils:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYgctXpajs&feature=related

You will probably never have heard this version of Walking the Dog:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npUoNwvRNs

Hope someone out there enjoys this but I hate to tell you, there is more.

ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

Believe it or not the Pretty Things are one of those groups that I've read about in other people's biographies and such, but never actually HEARD anything by. Thanks, paw, I'll definitely give them a listen!
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »

Hey, macsnafu (great name!), did you ever see the video of Paul McCartney and Rockestra from the first Secret Policemen's Ball? I always got a kick out of the faces Pete Townshend made in that one, I heard he had a pretty good buzz on, booze, I think. The music ("Lucille") was excellent, too!

No, I've never seen any video from the events.  I just have vinyl records from the events. But maybe it's on the internet now--I'll see if I can Google. it.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

As I write this, the last few overs of the first day of the first test.  England v. India in India.  Great stuff and England looked as if they were getting stuffed till Swan stepped up and took wickets.  you can listen on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/5livesportsextra/
but remember the time difference.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2012, 01:20:13 AM »

My current listening pleasure is High Tide and and another band called the Tree's both from the UK around the end of the '60's beginning of the '70's and a bit of the listening to the Hawkwind tribe mid to late 70's. O yea King Crimson in their Wetton & Cross days.....

RB
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »

Plenty of variety in my OTR listening this past month or so.  Some shows were tied around such holidays as Halloween, Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving but otherwise my choices were pretty random.

Shows listened to- X Minus One, Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, Command Performance, Escape, Fibber McGee and Molly, Suspense, The Black Mass, Lights Out, Mystery Playhouse, New Theatre, 2000 Plus, Strange as it Seems, Waltz Time, We the People, The Whistler, Five After Five, Texaco Star Theatre, In Person, Dinah Shore, Land of the Free, Mystery House, Squad Cars, Town Hall Tonight, Arch Oboler's Plays, Beyond Midnight, The Devil and Mr. O, Drop Dead, Weird Circle, Inner Sanctum, Quiet Please, Cavalcade of America, CBS European News, Forbidden Cargo, Vallee Varieties, Our Miss Brooks, Good News of 1938, Meet the Menjous, Pick and Pat, Rudy Vallee Royal Gelatin Hour, Challenge of the Yukon, The Story Behind the Headline and some presidential speeches by Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Lyndon B. Johnson plus a couple of V-Disk recordings.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2012, 04:45:47 AM »

Just Volume #'s 75 through 77 of The Day After the Sabbath anthology series this evening.....to go along with the start of my Shadowmen series reading.....

Richard
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »

A late start to the Shadowmen series wanted to wait until I had the first volume. I have chosen my listening muse to be a little Jane from Germany,.....

RB
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2012, 03:08:41 AM »

What a cool looking Superman
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

That is Argoman from Italy......sometimes I miss Good Guys & Gals for sharing such stuff,.....

RB
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »

Have a look at Superargo here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5PZmm_XPg&playnext=1&list=PL1084ED3372038DDD
And here's Puma Man:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsAuBzshnc
and it's as bad as I remember.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »

I liked the two Superargo movies.....for what they were.....and for their time. I DL'd the Puma Man from You Tube & burned it and you're right it's pretty terrible...so terrible it's fun...and funny in its own weird way. Watched Avenger X (Mr. X in the Movie) and had to say I was pretty dissapointed in the whole affair. More a spy/crime type thriller or along the lines of a good version of Diabolik (well maybe not such a good comparision) and Mr. X is seen seldom in costume.

On another note it was a banner day for movies showing up. Besides Avenger X showing up we also received Super, Kick Ass, Paperman, Double D Avenger (yes its worse that its title suggests!), Supersonicman/War of The Robots Double Feature (I had Supersonic Man on VHS now on DVD.), and the book Tales of the Shadowmen Volume # 3. With more goodies to come. Since between books & DVD/VHS I have purchased 36 items and I greedly await them all! heehhhehehee

RB
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

Richard, your Shadowmen book.  There was a British Shadowmen comic years ago with art by a wee Scottish bloke called Andy Hope.  No chance this is the same?  Curious to know as I knew him and he disappeared to USA to get married and we never heard from him again.  Or was all that just an excuse to get away from us here?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.