in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Listenin' to

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Listenin' to  (Read 90723 times)

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Listenin' to
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »

Omigosh! This was one of our favorite cruisin' songs! Didn't know it was from a Brit band. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

As with an absurdly high number of these, I've never heard the original version of "Peanut Butter".  But I do have a cover by THE KAISERS, a band from Edinburgh, Scotland, who do the most UNCANNILY accurate early-Beatles impression you can imagine.

Their 1st studio album, SQUAREHEAD STOMP (1993) actually sounds so raw, you'd swear it was recorded at The Cavern Club (or maybe even the Star Club, heh), but it was actually done in London's Toe Rag Studio, under the supervision of producer Liam Watson, whose specialty is "lo-fi".  He was also the producer for The Neanderthals, a "frat rock" style band which included Eddie Angel (of Los Straitjackets) among its members.

Their sound evolved on their later albums so it was cleaner & smoother, more like The Beatles' '63-'65 era. But their early stuff is a blast-- they do a version of "Money (That's What I Want)" that's downright BRUTAL! (Very powerful)

Pop radio may have gone to HELL in the last 20 years, but since the mid-90's I've never had a shortage of wonderful, FUN new stuff to listen to... even if a good amount of it might be described as "retro" in style. As my best friend likes to say, "Good is good."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:03:05 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »

"Kaiser George" (George Miller) later went on tour with Los Straitjackets.  I saw LS many times, including that particular tour.  The results can be found on their TWIST PARTY! CD.  They also shared the stage with The World Famous Pontani Sisters (that's the official name of their act), a trio of dancing girls devoted to the revival of "burlesque" and "glamour".  TWIST PARTY! comes with a bonus DVD to showcase the girls' talents.

There's great stuff out there these days-- but you really have to LOOK for it.  You can't depend on radio or TV anymore. (It's just like comics. Marvel & Dc have become a wasteland.  It's all the tiny, obscure companies that are doing the really fun stuff worth searching out.)
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »

Recent music listened to:

The Andrews Sisters and Friends (after hearing of the recent passing of Patty Andrews) which includes 26 songs that they did between 1944-1952 with such singers as Bing Crosby, Desi Arnez, Carmen Miranda, Dick Haymes, Red Foley and others.

Jerry Lee Lewis: Great Balls of Fire: Live! and Jerry Lee Lewis: Live in Concert which don't give recording dates but which I'd guess as being from the early 1980s.  I saw the Killer in concert back in 1986 and he sounded similar to this.

Kitty Wells: The Essential Recordings  Excellent collection of 40 of the Queen of Country Music's recordings from 1949-1959 including numerous hits.

Lonnie Donnegan: The Essential Recordings   From the same company (Primo) is another great collection.  This one featuring 40 of the Skiffle King's songs from 1955-1961.  His tapping into American Folk, Blues and Country songs certainly influenced the Beatles, Stones and others who were to follow in a few years.

OTR this past month included episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly, The Jack Benny Show, The Alan Young Show, Our Miss Brooks, Gunsmoke, The Whistler, Burns and Allen, Calling All Detectives, Cloud Nine, Songs by Sinatra, The Eternal Light, G. I. Journal, Suspense, Here's to Veterans, Heroes of the Merchant Marine, It's Maritime, Checkerboard Fun Fest, Claudia, Doorway to Life, Escape, The Doris Day Show, Dimension X plus speeches by Franklin Delano Roosevelt (on the eve of WWII) and Charles Lindbergh (to an America First group as he attempts to keep America out of the war).  Highlights of this month's OTR though were the four-part Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future (an adaptation of Voyage to Venus) and my beginning of Box 13 (a 52 episode series from 1948 starring Alan Ladd) and The Lives of Harry Lime (a 52 episode series from 1951 starring Orson Welles).  I plan to listen to an episode a week of these last two throughout this year. 

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2013, 01:29:36 AM »

Where did you locate Dan Dare? I was not aware of an OTR
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »

Otr this past month included episodes of Intrigue, The New National Guard Show, Phyl Coe Mysteries, Memories of Hawaii, Words at War, The Jack Benny Show, Let's Go to Town, The Life of Riley, Let George Do It, four more episodes each of Box 13 and The Lives of Harry Lime plus presidential speeches by Richard Nixon (I am not a crook) and Bill Clinton (Air attack on Iraq).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »

All of Canada is in mourning for the passing of our troubadour--Stompin' Tom Connors--who died a few days ago. A great man and a great Canadian.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

OTR this past month-  Five more episodes each of The Lives of Harry Lime and Box 13 plus Lux Radio Theater (South African version), Command Performance, Hallmark Playhouse, Men at Sea, Academy Award Theater, The Sammy Kaye Show, Masters of Melody, Cavalcade of America, Screen Guild Players, The Bing Crosby Show, Frank Singister News and Comment (WWII news from July 1944) and a special- America Salutes the President's Birthday (also from 1944).

Music-  Recently listened to the CD collection-  Ike Turner: Rock-A-Bucket  While much better known for his work with his wife, Tina, in the 1960s and 70s this excellent forty song collection shows Turner working in the 1950s as a seminal rock and roll artist and R & B performer, both with his own band and as a session magician for such greats as Howlin' Wolf, B. B. King, Little Milton and others.  Recommended.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

It's Canada Day up Canada Way on the First Day of July. Time to crank up the Canadian tunes.

Listenin' to "Sweet City Woman" by the Stampeders--such memories, family road trip across the prairies, stoppin' in Calgary to visit an aunt, goin' to the Stampede, wearing cowboy hats.

My thoughts are with the people of Calgary and all those in southern Alberta and south-eastern BC as they get back on their feet after the floods. The whole country is with you guys.

I'm sure Stompin' Tom would have a song about that if he was still around.

Time for some Anne Murray--Snowbird--or maybe the Bells--Fly Little White Dove Fly.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

Happy Canada Day, neighbor!  Definitely wishes and prayers go out  to the flood victims. Think I'll put on some Collectors- "Grass and Wild Strawberries"- (Thanks to You Tube!) Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »

Ozzie Nelson -- HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE   (songs from 1937-42)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »

I downloaded some Dan Dare files in audio and early comic pages at the Internet Archive. Haven't gotten into these yet. I liked the style of the early comics, these look more like water color paintings.

Otherwise I've just been checking out songs from the good old days, the Doors, Santana, etc. Great instrumentals.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2013, 03:10:55 AM »

Are the Dan Dare complete stories?
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

I have started listening to a big (10 CD) collection of Bing Crosby.  It contains about 250 recordings of his made between the mid 1920s and the mid 1950s.  Interesting to listen to his evolution as a singer as well as the changing tastes in popular music of the era.

As to OTR, I've reached the halfway point in my weekly journey through episodes of Box 13 and The Lives of Harry Lime.  Also squeezed in some episodes of the Lonesome Gal (featuring a very sultry voiced singer), Let's Go with Music, The Voice of the Army and the Kraft Music Hall (Bing Crosby again).

And to coincide with the release of the new Lone Ranger movie on July 4th I listened to four vintage 1930s episodes of the radio series.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »

I got a nice box set of BONANZA CDs in the mail yesterday. I wasn't expecting such a good looking product. This will be a birthday present for my father, but first I am going to rip all the songs onto my computer, so i have them. It came in a huge mailing box from amazon--and I was surprised, because I was just expecting a small package of CDs. But it has a nice booklet with pictures of the boys recording. And it also has a small envelope from "Hop Sing"--with Chinese writing on it. Looking inside, it's rice. I'm not sure if that's racist or not. But this is the kind of thing my father would think is funny. So I think he'll like it when I finally give it to him. They even make the CDs look like old-timey records--I just hope my father doesn't try to play them on his turntable.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

I've also got "Schnucki, ach Schnuki" stuck in my head. This is the song they sing in the final episode of MEISTER UND SEIN PUMUCKL, so I was listening to it for my blog. The tune sounds familiar, and the subject is American. Different places in the U.S. are mentioned. It's about a Native American who sees this beautiful girl and he asks her to go away with him. The funny thing is the way it's sung is with such a thick accent--sounds like a southern German or Austrian accent--so despite its content, it's really very specific to a certain region of Europe.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:37 AM »

Are the Dan Dare complete stories?

Not sure. I've had a bit of eyestrain lately and the watercolor style of the artwork is not that great for a PC screen, so I've only read the first page so far. It looks to be a complete story.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »

Not what I've been listening to, but what I will soon be listening to! Every Labor Day extended weekend, our city , Spokane, WA, holds a four or five day celebration of food and music called "Pig-Out in the Park". Lots of local musicians , but we always get a pretty good fossil-rock band as a bonus. In the past, we've had The Rascals, Grass Roots, Jr. Cadillac, and lots more. This year, it's The Zombies! These days you just can't tell what version of a band will show up, but this gig is up on their official website, so we'll get at least one or two original members. And the best part is- it's FREE! If you happen to be in the neighborhood, please consider this your invitation to plunk your lawn chairs down in the Clock-Tower Meadow Friday the 30th, 9p.m. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

irish

message icon
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

some japanese psychedelicia from youtube
playwise-getting through a bbc production of a room with a view.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »

Not what I've been listening to, but what I will soon be listening to! Every Labor Day extended weekend, our city , Spokane, WA, holds a four or five day celebration of food and music called "Pig-Out in the Park". Lots of local musicians , but we always get a pretty good fossil-rock band as a bonus. In the past, we've had The Rascals, Grass Roots, Jr. Cadillac, and lots more. This year, it's The Zombies! These days you just can't tell what version of a band will show up, but this gig is up on their official website, so we'll get at least one or two original members. And the best part is- it's FREE! If you happen to be in the neighborhood, please consider this your invitation to plunk your lawn chairs down in the Clock-Tower Meadow Friday the 30th, 9p.m. Cheers, Bowers

Watch yourself bowers, I heard that there can be some lighting storms coming through on Sunday evening. Enjoy yourself for all the stuff going on there.

Geo
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »

The Day After The Sabbath Vol. # 90.... great stuff......

http://www.aftersabbath.com/

Richard

and now Vol. # 91 was just posted I see.... O goodie!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »

My son has been listening to all the episodes of OUR MISS BROOKS. I have heard a few but he says I must listen to them they are hilarious. It has become one of his favorite OTR's.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »

Well, I downloaded a lot of the tunes I didn't have from the Beach Boy's "Made in California" box set, mostly live stuff and previously unreleased material.

And the last three SLOAN albums.

Now to actually listen to them.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »

Heres a few songs that always make me feel good.
"Sultans of Swing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-J1wf2KHc

"Play that Funky Music"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRr2kf84V2M

"Apeman"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEep67akIn4

"In the Summertime"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0oBPtyNb0

"Dancing in the Moonlight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMc8naeeSS8

And speaking of moonlight, in honor of Halloween
"Werewolves of London"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpYBT0XyvA

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:31:48 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

IMHO music is meant to make you feel good. I do not understand Screomo listeners at all
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.