in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"Fun Facts" pages in GA comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: "Fun Facts" pages in GA comics  (Read 1224 times)

happyhuman

• VIP
message icon
"Fun Facts" pages in GA comics
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »

Hello everyone,

does anyone know in which GA comic book series I can find pages detailing some fun/interesting/weird facts?

+ I once read a GA 'space adventure' comic which had alongside it's panels some space info/facts. I don't remember what was it name or isue number but I'll would like to read it again. the one thing I remember is some of the "facts" in that comic are now known to be false or incorrect

thank in advance for any help given
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: "Fun Facts" pages in GA comics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »

I gave a talk to my Astronomy club a couple of years ago illustrated with astronomy fact pages from comics but they were all from S.A. titles and some old British comics.  You've started me looking through my small but (not quite perfectly formed) G.A collection. Not a sausage so far.
Whoops, just found something. But this example is facts as part of an ad.  In the U.S.Royal ads, he explained to his pals how things worked.  In Sensation #66 for example, he describes how a jet engine works.  Also in the same issue, the Wheaties ad. has sporting facts about Del Ennis, champion rookie of 1946.
Delving further back, Feature Funnies had a few "Strange as it Seems" pages in many issues (I think) which shared odd facts with the reader. In #8 for example there's mention of Edison suing for 4 m Dollars, a 3 ft. Chinese burning glass, some wifie who had read the new testament 125 times and lots more.  There's also a "Modern Planes" page. In this issue it's a sub chaser.
Gosh, you've got me started now. If you are interested, some long running British storypapers had fact pages as the front page.  Here's a link to a page with Rover covers, you'll see what I mean:-
http://www.kellyscomics.com/rover-comics.php
ip icon Logged

happyhuman

• VIP
message icon
Re: "Fun Facts" pages in GA comics
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »

looks intersting, even if its not exactlly I was looking for, thanks
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.