in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

(2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

topic icon Author Topic: (2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!  (Read 88725 times)

Ramcrammer

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ramcrammer
message icon
Re: (2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 05:31:23 AM »

Welcome back Serj and all you golden age maniacs out there.  You were sorely missed.  Serj, see my PM about my helping with sorting, etc.  With help so generously being offered by our members, it shouldn't take long to get the site back to 100%.  Thanks and best of luck to all.

Ramcrammer

ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »

I DO think the hash file idea is a great one IF someone out there has the original files as posted on the site.

So if you still wanted to give me or others in my position moderator status with the ability to rename and move files around on the site I'm still willing to help out.

I agree with YOK. Is there anybody here with all of these files available untouched to extract the right HASH number?
If not, what comes to mind is to put all the 1980 files in the ftp account into say 20 directories with 100 files and assign each directory to a member willing to help downloading the 100 files, see its contents and renaming them.
I have other ideas, such as unpack all of the zip or rar files in the server in order to download and see just the first page and not having to download all the pages. This would be pretty fast.

ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »

I have been experimenting under the unsorted comics section
just to  check how things are working now.
I have downloaded all the files called "01.jpg".
There are 8 files with that name, with different size.
These are their correct names:

01.jpg   26.67MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 43 - Quality
01.jpg   26.73MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 36 - Quality
01.jpg   27.06MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 40 - Quality
01.jpg   27.91MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 31 - Quality
01.jpg   28.50MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 17 - Quality
01.jpg   28.64MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 26 - Quality
01.jpg   25.71MB  =  Marmaduke Mouse 53 - Quality
01.jpg   35.58MB  =  Super Mystery Comics Vol VII no.4 - Ace Periodicals

I have written this information as a comment under each one of the file download pages.
This procedure is quite slow, but if all the users want to
download a few files in this section and left a comment with the
correct comic title, it could be done in a few weeks.
The mods then only have to read this information and rename the corresponding file.
This way all users can contribute to sorting and renaming without having to be moderators.
We are hundreds of users.

ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »

Thanks citaltras.

You should also have edit access on the download script now as made you a global admin. If not let me know and ill look into it.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »

I agree with YOK. Is there anybody here with all of these files available untouched to extract the right HASH number?

I'm pretty sure I should be close.  I've renamed about three quarters of them (losing scanner names, company names, most dates, and so forth, because they get in the way when I'm trying to find a specific issue), but I've almost never been sufficiently motivated to change the innards.  So it pops up an error box because it was archived on a Mac?  It'd take slightly longer to fix than click OK...

I'm also fairly sure I haven't archived many of the Golden Age books to DVD, so they should all be right in front of me.

So feel free to send me a copy of the program, Serj (or a sample of the output you want, and I'll hack something similar together for everybody to play with), and I'll get you whatever I can manage, as long as we don't mind (over)simplified filenames.

--John
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure I should be close.  I've renamed about three quarters of them (losing scanner names, company names, most dates, and so forth, because they get in the way when I'm trying to find a specific issue), but I've almost never been sufficiently motivated to change the innards.  So it pops up an error box because it was archived on a Mac?  It'd take slightly longer to fix than click OK...

I'm also fairly sure I haven't archived many of the Golden Age books to DVD, so they should all be right in front of me.

So feel free to send me a copy of the program, Serj (or a sample of the output you want, and I'll hack something similar together for everybody to play with), and I'll get you whatever I can manage, as long as we don't mind (over)simplified filenames.

--John

I did say we needed filesizes also but I've sorted that so you can use whatever program you want to get md5 hashes but I just need a output log file with a similar format to:
filename.cbr, md5hash
filename.cbz, md5hash

or
filename.cbz <- md5hash

Basically each file per new line in log file with something separating them so I can easily work with them.
If you still require my simple program I will send it you after I finish work tonight at 9pm (GMT)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »

Glad to see the site back up and running!  Are we putting off adding new uploads to the site? I'm sorry if this is covered somewhere in this thread and I didnt see it... 
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »

Uploads can be added whenever someone wants. If anyone gets any errors just let me know as uploading via browser not been tested.

VIP's will be given access to FTP later tonight to start uploading again.
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »

Hi! My name is Christopher and I'm pretty new to this site. This is actually my first post on this forum but I've lurked around the downloads section for a couple of months, and I just got to tell you how much I'm enjoying this site and what you are doing here. Thank you very much to all responsible, and especially to Serj who seem to be working himself to death for our sake.

I'd love to do something for this site and if I had any money I'd donate money right away, but sadly I am but a poor student so I can't do that right now. I'd very much like to help with sorting those files though if you need anymore help. I haven't got any experience in creating websites but I've got some general computer experience, so if someone would just tell me what to do, I'd probably learn pretty quickly and be able to sort a few files, if you want me to.

Either way, thanks a lot again for this site!
Christopher
ip icon Logged

BAY575GOLDENAGE

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BAY575GOLDENAGE
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »

This procedure is quite slow, but if all the users want to
download a few files in this section and left a comment with the
correct comic title, it could be done in a few weeks.
The mods then only have to read this information and rename the corresponding file.
This way all users can contribute to sorting and renaming without having to be moderators.
We are hundreds of users.

it may also be a good thing to give everything a once over anyway, pick out the misnamed stuff, notating if its a fiche or has missing pages and what not.

i'm in for this, if i can help.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 02:39:39 AM »

I just tried the FTP and it's not working yet. I did get an error message of being refused access, so it must not be quite ready yet, will try later. Thanks again Serj for all the hard work you've been putting in to get the site back up and running, we all here appreciate it.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:36 AM »

I just tried the FTP and it's not working yet. I did get an error message of being refused access, so it must not be quite ready yet, will try later. Thanks again Serj for all the hard work you've been putting in to get the site back up and running, we all here appreciate it.

FTP is back up online with same login/password as before.
I did set the FTP up when I got home from work but then noticed when read your post I added FTP to wrong server which was no good lol
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jodyanimator

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jodyanimator
message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »

Glad to see that you are recovering. I have a few more books that I want to add to the site when it's all back together. Should I list the books that I've already uploaded? Would it help if I re-uploaded the files?
I want to say that I really appreciate your site and think that it is the best on the web.
jodyanimator.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »

Thanks for all the comics you uploaded jodyanimator, Serj has all the files, it is just working out what the names of them all are, nice to finally see you drop by the forum.  :)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »

I did say we needed filesizes also but I've sorted that so you can use whatever program you want to get md5 hashes but I just need a output log file with a similar format to:
filename.cbr, md5hash
filename.cbz, md5hash

or
filename.cbz <- md5hash

Basically each file per new line in log file with something separating them so I can easily work with them.
If you still require my simple program I will send it you after I finish work tonight at 9pm (GMT)

Update:  I have the basic data gathered on my end.  I just need to chop out the many files floating around my hard drive that aren't of use to you and use Excel to flip the order and give you a CSV file.  I should be able to PM you a download URL around noon Eastern Time (five o'clock GMT, I think).
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 11:31:04 PM »

FTP is back up online with same login/password as before.
I did set the FTP up when I got home from work but then noticed when read your post I added FTP to wrong server which was no good lol

Thanks Serj, and yes it did work later, (I uploaded three files, I had some trouble with my first file upload wouldn't show the name after done the other two were fine, will be adding more today).

Geo
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »

My head is spinning at how fast folks are sorting out the files on the download site.

Great job!

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 01:46:51 AM »

So anyone can go to the unsorted folder, find a file that hasn't any comments, download it and then write what magazine it is in the comics' comments? Is there anything else you need beside name, number, original publishing month and publisher? How about quality? Now I'll probably sound like an extreme newbie (which I am) but 'fiche' is short for a magazine that's been scanned using microfiche technology, right? How do you know if a comics is fiche scanned?`

A bit off topic but what are the ways you increase your bandwidth? Yesterday I noticed that my bandwidth limit per day was increased to 1 GB (which was great), so what did I do to deserve this?

Wow, that's a lot of questions, right? :D

Thanks in advance!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 03:19:29 AM »

Hi NC86,
Fiche will generally be on the blurry and dark side.  Especially the blues.  If you can't tell if it's a fiche scan then it likely isn't.  When you see them you usually can tell.  The scans were taken from fiche taken years ago, scanned usually by Rolster or Ontology and then cleaned up and tweaked by others such as myself.  Often you will find the cover is nicer than the rest as good paper scans of those can be found on auction sites.

I'm not sure what is going on with the current bandwidth limits.  Normally to get unlimited bandwidth privileges you have to either donate to the site or upload some needed scans.  So if your limit is at 1 gig enjoy it while it lasts!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 07:16:10 AM »

Thanks for answering Yoc! Do you know if there's anything needed besides name, number, month of publishing and publisher in the comment you write?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »

Hi again NC.
The one other thing I try as much as possible to include is just who actually made the scans when I happen to know.  The scanner is the guy that actually bought the comic and was brave enough to risk it going onto a scanner to preserve it forever while sharing it with everyone on the internet.  I feel they deserve a little credit you know?

It's also great when people mention how many pages are in the book!  Perhaps a book has been scanned more than once and someone might be looking for a complete book or more likely they are worried about duplicating a download that they might have found from another source.

My own files are sorted by Publisher -Comic Title -Issue# -[Date] -[if it's in fiche] -[anything special of note in the book or noted artists] -Page Count -and issing pages if any -and finally Scanner when known.

ie- found in my Centuar folder:
Amazing-Man 10 [Mar'40][early Burgos,Everett]-27pg-AMan, IronSkull, RanchDude only   -RichardB scans

That's more than most people care to know about but that's how I do things for my collection.
ip icon Logged

BAY575GOLDENAGE

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BAY575GOLDENAGE
message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »

hay yoc

just to test somthing out, i did a few books , tell me if it's helpfull to do it this way.

i put book info on the following files, and you can pull them up with the search to check them without going through the pile.

file                           mb size

upload                27.29 mb
wb                     31.50 mb
WhIn1236          12.76 mb
WInd1536          12.76 mb
WNG78  00CV    24.13 mb
yj07pg50bc        26.49 mb
ynks4  33            16.83 mb

should i do more, is it helpfull this way?
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 05:46:23 AM »

Hi! Thanks for answering again Yoc!

I downloaded the file "Firehair12_23[1].JPG.cbr", looked it through and then posted this comment:
"Title: Firehair Comics no 12;
Publisher: Fiction House;
Page count: 24 pages;
Features: Firehair, Long Bow, Ghost Gallery;
Notes: black & white, no adverts;"
I found neither the scanner's name nor the date in this file, but if I do that in future file I'll post that too. Is that enough help for the moderators or should something else be added? I'll download a few more now and do the same thing with them. Should I contact someone with the names of the files I've looked through or do the moderators find that out themselves?

Thanks for helping me help! :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 07:24:05 AM »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help!! 
That's just fine what you've done so far and please do continue!

NC, no need to contact anyone, ALL of the files with a March1 date and 'needed to be updated' description will eventually be corrected and moved.  If you don't see both on a file then there no need to update their info.  It's only Mar1, 2008 files that need to be checked.

Thanks again,
-Yoc

ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »

hay yoc
just to test somthing out, i did a few books , tell me if it's helpfull to do it this way.
i put book info on the following files, and you can pull them up with the search to check them without going through the pile.

file                           mb size

upload                27.29 mb
wb                     31.50 mb
WhIn1236          12.76 mb
WInd1536          12.76 mb
WNG78  00CV    24.13 mb
yj07pg50bc        26.49 mb
ynks4  33            16.83 mb

should i do more, is it helpfull this way?

Thanks to BAY575GOLDENAGE and to everybody who is helping us
by downloading the files from the unsorted section and
leaving comments on the comic download page with the information we need.
It is also a good idea to send here also a message, as in the example above,
with the list of comics commented
For the moment the information needed is Title and Number, plus Publisher if you know it.
Additional useful information like fiche or that mentioned by YOC is also welcome
(number of pages, publication date, ...)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:49:17 AM by citaltras »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.