in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 91 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

DarkMark's uploads redux

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: DarkMark's uploads redux  (Read 280495 times)

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
Re: DarkMark's uploads redux
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

You're welcome, Doc!  Now on the FTP, my one and only ish of Prize Comics, #29, with a Dick Briefer Frankenstein story.  Go get it, folks.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »

Thanks DM but wow... is that one big file!   :o
Perhaps in the future if a file is over 100mb could you break it into two parts for those with slower connections?  We've seen that done in the past a couple times.

I just checked and it looks to be all there - expect it on the site shortly.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »

I'll sure try to.   The dang thing took half an hour to upload.   Thanks, Yoc.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »

The latest is a fiche scan of KID ETERNITY #17, my last KE.  It's missing 2 pages, but what the hey.  And it's MUCH smaller than the Prize Comics scan.  Thanks!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2008, 04:13:08 AM »

Thanks DM, it's up on the site.  :D
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

Thanks, Yoc.  Now on FTP:  Clue Comics #6 (fiche and paper) and a one-story scan from Kid Eternity #1.   Go get 'em.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2008, 03:12:43 PM »

Thanks DM!

I grabbed the Clue to give it a check and see there are GIF pages that have been renamed as JPGs incorrectly and CDisplay can't open them.
I'm going to correct them and do a quick tweak of the fiche before adding it to the site if that's ok with you.

Thanks again,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »

Ok DM,
I've tweaked your Clue Comics 06 and uploaded it into your folder on the FTP.
If you'd like to check it and see what you think and then tell if I can add it to the site that would be great.

I converted the GIFs into true JPGS.  I then ran the fiche scans through Photoshop applying sharpening filters.  And finally I saved them at a smaller size.  So the entire book is somewhat smaller than your version.

Let me know,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

I guess it's okay, but it looks a little grainy.  How'd you manage to save it in a smaller size?
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »

I'll be uploading Silver Streak Comics #19 (1942) soon to the FTP.  It features a comic adaptation of Leslie Charteris's Saint, as well as Silver Streak, Pirate Prince, and all the usual suspects. 

However.

Be advised that this is another BIG scan.

And it is fiche.

Fiche, fiche, FICHE.

So...don't like, don't download.

That's all.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »

And here I am stuck on dialup for another week and a half and the place goes wild with great stuff  :-[
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »

Hi DM,
Yes, it's grainy because I applied three different sharpening filters on it in Photoshop.
I felt the artwork might be degraded but I think you will agree the readability is increased substantially.
I also tweaked the colour levels to move the white level of the pages higher making them a bit more lifelike in appearance.  A bit less 'grey' as fiche tend to look.

Finally I resave them in IrFranview.

You can get IRFran for FREE from this site:
http://www.irfanview.com/

After placing all the corrected scans within the same folder I open a page in IrFranview and then type 'B' for Batch mode.
At the bottom of the opening page there is an OPTIONS button.
Hitting that lets you set the quality level as a percentage when saving.
So after choosing a new Output Folder first I try different quality levels on some test pages until I can lower the page scan size to a number in the 600-800kb range for the average page without having them look like crap.
I never save on top of the originals as you never know exactly which looks best until you've tried it a couple times.
Finally when I'm happy with the final results of the test pages I apply the setting to the entire book.

There is an ADVANCED button as well where you can do any number of tweaks to page sizes, sharpness, colours, etc.  but use with caution.

Please give IrFran a try in batch mode - most of this is pretty self explanatory and it would help cut down on the page sizes considerably without hurting the quality of your scans very much if at all.

-Yoc

I guess it's okay, but it looks a little grainy.  How'd you manage to save it in a smaller size?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:24:40 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:07 PM »

Yes I use Infran for batch size changes also
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:17 PM »

Hi DM,
Yes, it's grainy because I applied three different sharpening filters on it in Photoshop.
I felt the artwork might be degraded but I think you will agree the readability is increased substantially.

Hi Yoc!

Is there any chance of applying those sharpening filters to the Nightmare and Sleepy story from Clue Comics #5?

And thanks darkmark for the uploads! I never thought I'd get to see these Clue Comics books!  :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »

Hi KB,
Once a book is on the site I have great reservations about 'tweaking them' once they've been made public.
Especially as they are not my scans.  Darkmark is the scanner and I want to respect his feeling on anything like that.  Clue 6 was a unique situation where I was shown a preview of the scans and DM was fine with me sharing my tweaked version instead of his own.

But there is nothing to stop yourself from applying some sharpening to each scan yourself.
IrFran and many other picture viewing/editing software include that ability.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2008, 01:51:32 AM »

I openly freely give anyone and everyone permission to tweek my scans.  Most are uncropped and unedited so if anyone wants to improve on them be my guest and take all the credit you want.  narfstar
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2008, 01:31:08 PM »

Thanks, Narfstar.  We have more Clue coming up in a bit.  And as for further tweaking, I'd appreciate folks NOT doing it unless (1) it's replacing missing or defective pages or (2) you ask me first and I give permission.  Keep 'em flying!
ip icon Logged

doccomix

message icon
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2008, 04:50:07 AM »

Very glad to have Silver Streak in ANY form, Darkmark. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2008, 03:12:34 AM »

Thanks for all the latest scans DM!  :)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2008, 05:32:05 AM »

Thanks, Doc and Dar.  We have another Silver Streak coming later, plus MUCH more Biro goodness when I can get to it. ;-)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »

The latest upload is Clue Comics #7.  Featuring Boy King, Zippo, Stupid Manny, and the usual gang of goodguys.  It is FICHE.  Don't like, don't download!  And thanks.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »

Thanks DM, did you take a look at IrFanview?
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2008, 10:40:02 PM »

Thanks for Clue Comics #7 DM!
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2008, 02:48:16 AM »

And now...appearing...right on our very own...FTP...my last scan of this...particular title...in fiche...from 1943...will you give a big warm welcome to...SILVER STREAK #20!  After this we will present Topo Gigio.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2008, 05:48:57 AM »

Clue Comics #8, in fiche, is the latest.  Thanks, all.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.