in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

DarkMark's uploads redux

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: DarkMark's uploads redux  (Read 279939 times)

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
Re: DarkMark's uploads redux
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »

Thanks for this issue, DM! Keep those Clue Comics books coming, if you got 'em.

I always thought it was interesting in the Nightmare & Sleepy strip that Nightmare's super suit was changed from it's original "skeleton" design (which was kind of cool and creepy) to the more simplified second costume. I guess it was easier to draw for the artists, or maybe a different artist came on board the strip and changed it after Clue #6, but man .... that second costume sure paled by comparison to the first.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2008, 01:52:29 AM »

I've got a lot more, Kranky, and you'll get to see 'em.  Thanks for enjoying them.  As for Nightmare, I'd agree with you...that skeleton costume really set him apart from the common herd, and underlined his name quite a bit.  When he changed costumes, he just became another guy in a union suit.  Stick around, though...I don't intend to leave you Clueless!
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2008, 04:00:51 AM »

I've got a lot more, Kranky, and you'll get to see 'em.  Thanks for enjoying them.  As for Nightmare, I'd agree with you...that skeleton costume really set him apart from the common herd, and underlined his name quite a bit.  When he changed costumes, he just became another guy in a union suit.  Stick around, though...I don't intend to leave you Clueless!

That's great news about there being more Clue Comics issues, DM. I would never get to see any of them if it weren't for you, and your efforts are much appreciated.  :)

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who dug Nightmare's original skeleton costume. You really nailed it when you said how the suit underlined his name, whereas the new costume did not. If anything, the second, updated costume seemed like a strange cross between Catman and Yank and Doodle's outfits. Another funny thing was how Bob White and Terry Wake seemed to eventually have the same problems as Mr. Scarlet and Pinky -- down on their luck with no money in hand. Heck, poor Sleepy actually seems like he's starving in CC #8.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:03:22 AM by krankyboy »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2008, 04:10:20 AM »

I LOVED Nigthmare's first costume!  Top Notch!  *pun intended.*
I was hoping the Nightmare would show up on the Superpowers Project.
His first costume was among the best of the GoldenAge IMO.  Easily right up there with Black Terror, The Web and Capt. Courageous..... ha!  *JOKING!*
I've always liked the YellowJacket's costume and I see they've got him planned for the series calling him 'Jack'.  I'm also looking forward to seeing Target and the Targeteers though I'm not expecting them to have any important roles in the series.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:40 AM »

I'm sure that someone will rescue Nightmare from his Golden Age obscurity at some point (and Sleepy too, if the kid is lucky). But I agree with you, Yoc -- it's one of the best costumes of the era.

Truth be told,  I like most of the strips from the book. Zippo is a good bit of fun, and I get a kick out of Twilight as well.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »

An untold story:  when I wrote a treatment for Eclipse for a final Airboy story, I included the Boy King and the Giant, as they were the only Biro-created Hillman characters who hadn't been revived.  It was a lotta fun writing it, but it didn't get anywhere.  C'est la vie.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2008, 03:25:36 AM »

The latest:  Target Comics v7 #3, from 1946.  It's a fiche.  Don't like, don't download.  ;)  This is my one ish of Target, but we're coming up on another Clue soon.   Enjoy.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »

Now up.
Sadly Target and the Targeteers only wear their costumes on the last page of a nature trip.
:-[
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2008, 03:36:32 AM »

Well, maybe you'll be more satisfied with the latest offering:  Clue Comics #9, which is a hybrid of paper and fiche.  On the FTP.  Grab it and run!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2008, 05:25:36 AM »

:-[
Hi DM,
I checked your Clue9 and there's a corrupt pg39. 
I also found I had the first page of Boy King you used fiche for so I figured you might want to redo this one and upload it again with the new pages.

Just let me know when it's ready.

Thanks,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »

I'll see about page 39, but I deliberately used the fiche page of Boy King because it had more surface area.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:27 PM »

OK, uploaded a corrected Clue #9 along with an altered Great Action Comics #1 (IW-Super) with the cover from its source, Gold Medal Comics #1 from 1945.  Enjoy.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:57 AM »

OK, uploaded a corrected Clue #9 along with an altered Great Action Comics #1 (IW-Super) with the cover from its source, Gold Medal Comics #1 from 1945.  Enjoy.

Thanks for the latest Clue Comics issue, DM. Can't wait to read it.  :)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:29 AM »

yvw, kranky.  More to come!
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »

Thanks darkmark
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Thanks Mark!

Say, have you got a copy of Great Action #9 to scan???
I've been wanting to see that for AGES!  It's an all Phantom Lady book with never reprinted since stories.

-Yoc

ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »

Sorry, Yoc, but I don't have that one.   I just uploaded by one issue of Harvey's ALL-NEW SHORT STORY COMICS #3, which is a pretty darn good book...a bunch of good wartime short stories by the likes of Bob Powell, and not a superhero story in it.  Check it out.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »

Thanks DM.
But what we have here is a HUGE set of scans that would be better shared in two parts.
I'll look into it.

Have you tried using Irfanview yet?  Please contact me in a PM if you need any help.
It would be a quick way to shrink your scans without doing any real harm to their quality.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2008, 04:35:06 AM »

Now on the FTP:  Clue Comics #10.  Fiche scan.  Fairly big.  First Boy Kingless ish, first ish with Gun Master.  Enjoy.
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »

Now on the FTP:  Clue Comics #10.  Fiche scan.  Fairly big.  First Boy Kingless ish, first ish with Gun Master.  Enjoy.

Always great to have more Clue Comics, DM. Keep 'em coming!  :)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »

Got about 3 more left, Kranky.  Thanks!
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »

And now in the FTP's center ring...CAPTAIN BATTLE #3, from 1942, featuring Cap and his partner Jr., Silver Streak, and several other features.  All yours.  Mostly fiche, part paper.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »

And just to make it a doubleheader here...CLUE COMICS #11, half-fiche, half-paper, all-comic.  The 2nd Gun Master story, the last Stupid Manny story (horrors!!), and other good stuff.  Go for it!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Captain Battle #3 question
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2008, 01:29:51 AM »

And now in the FTP's center ring...CAPTAIN BATTLE #3, from 1942, featuring Cap and his partner Jr., Silver Streak, and several other features.  All yours.  Mostly fiche, part paper.

My question -- I thought Captain Battle became Boy Comics with #3. In fact, I did not realize that Captain Battle #3 even existed.  :o

Can someone explain to me how CB #3 works with BC #3  ??? ???

EDITS: I see Chesler's name on the cover of CB #3, but the interior has definite Lev Gleason features.

What gives?  ??? ??? ???

B.  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:57:16 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2008, 02:51:46 AM »

What gives is that there was a continuation of CAPTAIN BATTLE for 3 more issues, even after it became BOY COMICS.  Kinda like what they did with STRANGE TALES in the 1970's, continuing the numbering from the last ish before it became DR. STRANGE.  That make any sense?

And I don't know about the Chesler connection.

EDIT:  The Keltner index confirms that Harry "A" Chesler's Magazine Press handled issues #3-5, which came out about a year after the two original issues of CAPTAIN BATTLE.  I don't know how that worked, and #3 is the last ish I've got of the title.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:16:01 AM by darkmark »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.