in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150651 times)

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 11:54:23 PM »

Thanks for uploading the Tomb of Terror scans Darwin.  :)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 04:53:43 AM »

I noticed the Canadian comics section today and peeked in.  Rez recently scanned a Journey into Fear from Superior, and I took the time to kind of track down scans for a few titles.  Upping to ftp:

Journey into Fear 11,16,17,18,19
Mysteries Weird and Strange 2,10
Strange Mysteries 4,12, 13

I haven't looked closely at these files so make notes on the download page if we're missing pages and the like.  Thank you much to the original scanners of these books.  These should be all the complete scans for these titles that have been on Thelist with the exception of issue 15 of Journey into Fear which is scanned, but I can't find it.  There are also some partial scans of some of these but those seem harder to track down.  I've got a couple Superior romances in my scan pile to contribute in this Superior effort as I make my way through the crime and romance books i've been gathering.  I think they were a pretty neat publisher with some good artists. Some of the panel layouts are neat.  There's circle panels, and pieces parts coming out of the boxes, and other neat details interspersed in these that to some extent kind of go against the stereotype of goldenage comix as all boxy and claustrophobic. Enjoy and scan em if you got em.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »

Dood!

Keep on rockin' in the free world!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »

Great work Darwin!
Now up on the site.
;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 04:07:57 AM »

Not too long ago, I checked out Tony Matera's bio on John Dillinger.  He spends a lot of time describing all the different cars Dillinger and other Terror Gang members bought in the course of their crime sprees.  These big V8 terraplanes they preferred could go far faster than the cop cars from the small towns they were robbing.  A lot of the molls liked to brag that they were great getaway drivers (though this didnt happen too often) and had reputations for liking jewelry and furs.  I bought this cover because it reminds me of all that with this thrilling scene.  Don't these cops ever miss? Dillinger got his in the end after being set up by a older lady friend when G-men apparently shot him in the back of the head at close range as he was leaving the cinema.  Remember kiddies, crime doesn't pay.  Or as this title reminds us "commit a crime and the world is made of glass".  Enjoy, March 1952 v7 01.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:13 AM »

Ohhh, sweet cover!
Thanks Darwin!!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

Making it's way to the ftp, Romantic Hearts 8, the first issue of this title to be scanned.  I'm no sissy but I just love romance comics.  I think I like the Lou Cameron story best about dueling showgirls.  Thanks to vigilante for the edit, a real trooper as far as working on titles that others might thumb their nose at.  And speaking of, also thanks to Pmack for sending me a stack of romances instead of throwing them in the trash like he was teasing me about!  No comic gets left behind.  8)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »

I have several GA Pd romance comics.  I have them far down on my scan list because I figure there is not much call for them.  If there is enough demand I can move them up on my list.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »

File name is Romantic Hearts 8 but cover and indicia are issue 3
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »

Yikes, nice catch, narf.  I changed the file name at the ftp so if somehow anyone has it already plz change the number on your file.  Thanks.

I like romance books, narf.  Judging from popularity of genres on ebay I'd say there is a lot of interest in certain romance titles.  I like odd comics, though, so don't  use my taste as any sort of barometer  ;)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2008, 09:43:20 PM »

BTW (hmm using three letter acronyms these days, the internet is melting my brain), I believe the GCD is missing a cover for this one so I was going to send a scan and index what I can of this one.  Can anybody tell me who the "D.W." is who signed the first story?  Kind of a strange story I thought, with a bizarre rhythm and odd take on liability lawsuits...

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »

I've corrected the listing on the site gang.
The file will still download #8 but people will be expecting the proper number.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:45 AM »

Thanks to Ubisoft for the edit of my scans on this one, he did a very nice job on the cover.  I really like the aunt in "Man Crazy". 

Enjoy,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »

DW usually written slanted is usually Doug Wildey of Johnny Quest fame.  Where is the DW written I could not find it?  BTW I know this because I did a book recently and had to search Whose Who and everything fit to be Doug.  The art looks good enough to be his IMHO
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:08:00 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

There's the splash with signature from the first story, narf.

I am off for Summer vacation for a couple weeks, but I'm bringing a couple sets of romance raws with me as I've found I enjoy a little bit of photoshop work on holiday.  So perhaps I'll have a couple comics ready on my return  8)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »

Yet thats Doug Wildey's sig
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2008, 04:41:30 AM »

Have fun Darwin!
;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:41 AM »

Well, after two weeks of vacation I feel relaxed, super-charged, and ready to get back to some of my scanning projects. Here's one I scanned this weekend that Metaldave edited for me, Crime Must Pay the Penalty 18 on Ace:

I'm also upping number 45 which we seem to be missing from our collection here.  Thanks to the original scanner whoever that might be  :-*

I've got a couple others out to editors as well as some other goldenage edits of my own on my plate, so hopefully I can keep that goldenage ball rolling along with my other pulp, magazine, newspaper, and comix projects.  Also, coming home to a pile of scans was fun, thanks guys.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »

Great job guys!
Now on the site.

BTW - KingFaraday did the scans on #45.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2008, 02:58:06 AM »

I have a confession to make.  :-[

I'm having an affair.  :o

With my scanner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

Oh well, better than drinking forties, shooting dice, and spanking strippers.  Although my wife may not think so. (j/k  ;) getting better at partitioning scan time from cuddle time  8) )

Tonight's offering comes from the scanner of my pal Twobyfour who was kind enough to let me edit this choice cover that makes me do backflips.  Here's Love Problems and Advice Illustrated 24 from November of 1953:

I'm not sure if this is Elias or not?  Elias with another inker?  Wouldn't he have signed it?

I haven't gotten to read this yet, but o boy, I'm looking forward to it. Harvey romances of this period are so fun.  The art is incredible and the stories loads of fun.  The girls, the hint of sleaze, the drama...

Cheers and enjoy!,

Darwin
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 03:03:04 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2008, 04:19:42 AM »

;D :P :P
Oh wow, what a Great cover!
Thanks Geo and 2x4, looks very nice.

It's now up on the site gang.  If the inside is half as nice as the cover we have another winner here.
;)
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2008, 05:59:43 AM »

;D :P :P
Oh wow, what a Great cover!
Thanks Geo and 2x4, looks very nice.

It's now up on the site gang.  If the inside is half as nice as the cover we have another winner here.
;)

Sorry Yoc that wasn't me who did that cover.

Yep darwination that sure looks like Elias' work.

Geo
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »

I somewhat spot Elias by the hair and the pianist and his gal pals look like Lee.
Hope about the pianist with two chicks and still jealous of the guy hitting on the other one.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »

::)
Apologies to Darwination - obviously I was half asleep when I made the post.

Great job Darwin!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.