in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Dell's The Funnies PD or not?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Dell's The Funnies PD or not?  (Read 9372 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Dell's The Funnies PD or not?
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:09 AM »

Well, quite a bit later than I expected, I finally got myself a working scanner today.  Before I started picking books to scan; I wanted to see if anybody could verify Dell's The Funnies was PD; we have at least one issue (#4) on the site.  My issues would all be in the first 29; I have about a third of those issues and non-fiche scans from 1937 and 1938 seem to be more than a little rare from that era.  If they're not fair game, I have at least a few other books I can and will get up here; those are just the obvious highlight _if_ they're actually PD.  Thanks!
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
Re: Dell's The Funnies PD or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:04:19 AM »

If the Funnies are in PD, I have scans of 1 9 10 12 13 15 19 and 26 I could upload.  I never even thought to ask about these as they reprint newspaper strips that were (I assume) copyrighted on their own and had the copyrights renewed.

If by any chance you have Funnies #22, please PM me.  The guy who ran the Dell cover site has images of all Dell covers except that one and would love to get it.

Jon
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:28:10 AM »

We could at least get Phantasmo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:23 AM »

Best wait until Aussie gives you an answer on the question.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »

Ok, waiting on an official ruling.  If they are good, I would LOVE to get a copy of 15; specifically the Scribbly pages.  (I also would like better scans of Scribbly from#26; the scans I have are pretty poor.)
I already scanned #14 for my own reasons, it's ready to upload if we get the OK.  I can add 11, 16, 17, and 18 to the pile Jon has as well, plus coverless copies of 23-25.

On the plus side, I just scanned in Target v3 n4 as a test of my scanner and my ability to put together a .cbz; it's coverless but does have a Mickey Spillane text story and Wolverton Spacehawk; if somebody could explain how and where to upload it it's ready to go.  (The post to FTP thread seems to assume I already know something I don't; if somebody can give me the idiot walk-through I can get my first file up and you can tell me how I did.)
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:11:23 PM »

OtherEric-
I had similar questions earlier in my scanner life and received some directions from others on the site.
In the 'Coming Soon' thread in the Comic Uploads Folder' beginning at post #17 there are some directions which might prove helpful till someones comes along who can better address your questions.

Cheers

Re: Coming Soon...
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »

Hi Eric,
Love those Target books!!
Here's a cover for yours.  Just left click on the thumbnail to see the full size version.
Please add it to your cbz file of the book.

I will send you a PM message with the FTP log-in info.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »

Well, if you like Target, I'll put v6n2 and v7n11 as next on my 'to scan' pile, along with Police Comics #85.  (I was somewhat startled to realize I had a 'missing' issue of Police; it looks like we have most of them until Plas disappears.)

Got your PM; I'll get the FTP software and with any luck the first book will be up there sometime in the next 12 hours or so.

Eric
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 03:20:23 AM »

Just added Target Comics v7 #11 [#77][Jan'47]-52pg-c2c     -SteveRogers1 scans to the site now.

I've also sent you a reply PM Eric.
:)
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »

next on my 'to scan' pile, along with Police Comics #85.  (I was somewhat startled to realize I had a 'missing issue'

WOW, one of the 'missing' Police Comics !!

That IS a good result.

I'm also bidding on a PAPER replacement for one of our 'fiche' copies so everyone wish me luck !

-Nigel
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:21:25 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

Well, quite a bit later than I expected, I finally got myself a working scanner today.  Before I started picking books to scan; I wanted to see if anybody could verify Dell's The Funnies was PD; we have at least one issue (#4) on the site.  My issues would all be in the first 29; I have about a third of those issues and non-fiche scans from 1937 and 1938 seem to be more than a little rare from that era.  If they're not fair game, I have at least a few other books I can and will get up here; those are just the obvious highlight _if_ they're actually PD.  Thanks!

l would accept up to issue 29 The Edgar Rice Burroughs strip John Carter of Mars is not public domain, neither is Felix the Cat, Raggedy Ann or Andy Panda. if anyone would like to share the other strips you are welcome to start a thread in Comic Talk and post them, but l will probably not allow them on the site since it would be to hard to ensure the non pd strips are not shared. The earlier 1929 tabloid size series of The Funnies would be fine.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:46:31 PM »

Thank you for clarifying the situation.  I've posted The Funnies #14 to the FTP site; I'll start work on the issues Jon doesn't already have as soon as I can.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:17 PM »

Thanks Eric, expect it up shortly.
;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »

Phantasmo should be fine though right Aussie it was never a newspaper strip.  I would like to see a Phantasmo collection.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:44 AM »

With Aussie's OK now I'm uploading the issues I have except 26 which Yoc Already did.  You should shortly find The Funnies 1 9 10 12 13 15 19 up and ready.  I think I can arrange access to all but one of the ones Eric doesn't have (i.e., 2 3 5-8 14 20 21 27 28 29)  So only 22 will be missing of the allowed issues.

It might take me a while to get these up.  Right now I'm busy with The Complete Supersnipe Project (posting away on ABPC but Aussie says no Street and Smith here so you'll have to look there or elsewhere for it).
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 05:50:28 AM »

Sounds Great Jon!!
Let me know when they are ready and I'll move them over to the site.

I wonder if Jeff *Teto7* knows about all of these?   :)
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »

They should be all there.  Thanks.

And Eric feel free to extract the Scribbly pages and merge with what you've got and to post them on the Sheldon Mayer site as well.

ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »

That would be spectacular, Jon!  I would dearly love to see all the material, and while Scribbly is the highlight I enjoy a lot of the other material in the Funnies, as well.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »

All of them (minus the duplicate #15) are now up on the site gang!
;D
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »

Phantasmo should be fine though right Aussie it was never a newspaper strip.  I would like to see a Phantasmo collection.

Unfortunately most of the issues Phantasmo were in would also have a non PD strip as well, but you can post the Phantasmo stories on the forum or if any fans out there want to do a Phantasmo set from The Funnies we could maybe post the collection in the section on the download site. Unfortunately it would be too hard to ban some strips but still allow the rest of the comic to be uploaded, it is best just to only allow the issues l am reasonably sure are OK. At least if they are posted on the forum l can see what they are and know the non PD strips are not on the site. If we ever get a full set scanned l might consider uploading the the issues with the non PD strips removed, or alternately chasing after approval for us to post the non PD strips on the site so we can have a full collection, but unfortunately for the time being we will only be allowing up to issue 29 on the download site. And any later PD strips can be posted on the forum till we can sort out the problem of the copyright protected material.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

Sounds reasonable Aussie.  Thanks for your input on these matters.
:)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.