in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

OtherEric's Uploads

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

topic icon Author Topic: OtherEric's Uploads  (Read 129081 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: OtherEric's Uploads
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »

I have quite a few issues of Animal Comics, Pogo, and other books from Dell by Kelly; but I suspect that those are not so much needed to be scanned as we're being very careful about what we post.  We do have quite a bit of Kelly posted, though.  So I thought I would at least ask.
[I'd truly LOVE to see more of his Animal Comics Eric.  I'm a HUGE, second generation Kelly fan!!]

As for preferences I know the Quality and Fiction House books have a lot of fans of the site.  And any horror/crime books usually go over well too.   ;D

A wonderful list that I certainly look forward to perhaps one day seeing scans of!

I'll get scans up as quickly as I can; but just in terms of time I can only do a few a week.  I'll put the Quality and FH books at the top after my current list.  I'll take from your comments that the Animal Comics are OK, even if the Pogo issues themselves are not.  So I'll get the couple issues I have that we don't have here and put them on the list as well.  I actually feel a little disappointed that my list of PD books is as small as it is; other than The Funnies my few remotely decent GA runs aren't PD.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:37 AM »

Target_Comics_v6_02.cbz uploaded to the FTP.

Do we have an expert on Jumbo Comics here?  My copy of 99 has a loose cover, and after a quick double check, it doesn't match the fairly limited info on the GCD; at least as far as order of stories goes.  But the info is very rough- and the story order doesn't match more detailed issues before and after.  That, plus the fact I can't find a clear match for my copy otherwise, makes me suspect I've got the right comic and the GCD is wrong.  But I would like to double-check before I scan the whole book.  Thanks in advance for any help.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »

I just started scanning The Funnies #2.  I usually shoot for scan images about 1000 pixels wide, but I'm going for about 1250 on this and later issues of Funnies.  The text was meant for much larger reproduction on newspaper pages originally. 

Eric I hope you follow suit on your scans of Funnies.

Eric, if you have an Animal #1 or 7 please let me know.

Jon
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »

The early skimpy GCD indexes had many done from Keltner's.  They are placeholders in need of updating.  I use this site a lot to update as much as I can.  I STRONGLY invite/urge everyone here to help out in providing valuable information to current and future researchers by indexing for the GCD. thanks narfstar JIM
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »

Hi Eric,
I've got an AC reprint of the Sheena story from that issue.  The words "The Eyes of a KILLER CAT!" are in bold just to the right of Sheena's head.

And Narfstar is correct - there is a fair number of bare bone entries on the GCD pulled from the Keltner Index which you can find a link for here on the board.  A must have for us GA fans.  Sadly Keltner never listed the contents of a book in the actual order they appeared so you will see discrepancies with the real thing.  But he DID focus on getting page counts right which can be invaluable info for those coverless books we sometimes find.

I hope that helps,
-Yoc

Do we have an expert on Jumbo Comics here?  My copy of 99 has a loose cover, and after a quick double check, it doesn't match the fairly limited info on the GCD; at least as far as order of stories goes.  But the info is very rough- and the story order doesn't match more detailed issues before and after.  That, plus the fact I can't find a clear match for my copy otherwise, makes me suspect I've got the right comic and the GCD is wrong.  But I would like to double-check before I scan the whole book.  Thanks in advance for any help.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 04:48:55 PM »

http://rapidshare.com/files/56298914/0118_Fiction_House_Comics_-_A_Golden_Age_Index__1978.Al_Dellinges___c2c.Cimmerian32_.cbr

This is a Fiction House Index that I scanned some time ago...  it lists what stories, artists and characters appeared in each issue of the Big Six...  Jungle, Jumbo, Wings, Rangers, Planet and Fight.

Hope it helps ya out...
Cimm
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

I['m not complaining to you personally, but I will never use RapidShare.  Once again it gave me (after a 1.3 minute wait) an unreadable Capcha.  It then asked if I wanted to try again and didn't load a picture.

Give me SendSpace any time.

Jon
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »

And, as promised:

The_Funnies_08.cbz uploaded.  Enjoy!

I downloaded right away.  Hope to enjoy Scribbly. 

I emailed a friend and got a real quick response. I'll have replacement scans for the front cover, inside front cover and back cover tonight.  How do you want me to handle this?  Merge them into Eric's scans and re-upload the entire book or just upload the three scans in one separate zip?

And Eric if any of your other copies are similarly damaged/incomplete, let me know and I mihgt be able to get fills.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »

Hi Jon,
Either is fine by me.

And I agree - UnRapidshare is the pits!
Personally I like Mediafire (no waits or captchas) and just learned of another that if their numbers are to be believed sounds great!
http://www.yourfilelink.com/

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »

OK, Aussie or Yoc, front cover, inside front cover, and back cover replacements for Funnies #8 have been FTPed.

Jon
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »

Thanks for the update, Jon!  I'm missing covers on my copies of the Funnies 23-25; otherwise my copies are in pretty good shape. And yes, my issue of Jumbo Comics is 99 based on that info, Yoc.  Just wanted to double check.

Sadly, no Animal Comics 1 or 7.  My issues are in the 20's; plus half of the Pogo series itself.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »

Glad I could help Eric.

Half the Pogo comics.  Cool.  I read all my Dad's reprint books as a kid.  Loved them!
;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »

The_Funnies_11.cbz uploaded to FTP.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:11 AM »

Thanks for the update, Jon!  I'm missing covers on my copies of the Funnies 23-25; otherwise my copies are in pretty good shape. And yes, my issue of Jumbo Comics is 99 based on that info, Yoc.  Just wanted to double check.

Sadly, no Animal Comics 1 or 7.  My issues are in the 20's; plus half of the Pogo series itself.

OK I'll ask for all four covers to 23-25.  Wish someone had the four covers to #22.  That's what I'm missing

Do you by any chance have Pogo #12 or #16.  I scanned the entire Pogo series a few years back (I doubt it could be put here, but I could Sendspace it)  In any case I duplicated two pages in the scans and sold the comics before I realized the error.

I need page 9 counting the front cover as page 1 of Pogo #12 (I think page 9 it might be 10 I need.  The page I have that starts with Albert saying "Now first I feels for a good springy stick"  I need the other one.

I need page 27 or 28 of Pogo 16.  The one I have starts with Howland saying, "How else would you make Green Turtle Soup"

If I get those I'll sendspace the run and and post the url here.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 02:42:34 AM »

Jon, the scans you posted have the front and back cover; but instead of the IFC you have my scan of the IBC in there for some reason.  I updated my file of 8 and will repost it once I hear from you if we have the IFC or not.

I've got Pogo 16 but not 12; I'll scan the missing page for you tonight.

Yoc, the Pogo books rock.  I've got the full run of those; including one signed!  :o  (I got it almost 10 years ago and it still amazes me.)

Ok, a question on the Animal Comics issues:  I've got 26 and 28; I'll scan and post those if they're ok.  (The 28 is missing the centerfold, which includes a page of the Pogo story.  But I've got a reprint of that story in one of the later issues of Pogo, so I can at least fill the key page.)  Also, I have a copy of the Pogo Parade Giant, which other than the cover is nothing but reprints from Animal Comics.  Would it be appropriate, and would people even want it, if I scanned it and posted the stories as partial scans of the Animal Comics issues?

And, a quick check of a second box adds these to my possible scans list; are there any we don't actually need?:

Jingle Jangle Comics 9
Captain Marvel Junior 118
Fawcett's Funny Animals: 10, 18, 59, 77
Marvel Family 35
Mary Marvel 22
Master Comics 95, 121
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »

Authentic_Police_Cases_12.cbz uploaded to the FTP; more Matt Baker art.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 04:40:24 PM »

Hi Eric,
CONGRATS on the wonderful Pogo collection - I'm very jealous!!   ;)

I'm betting Aussie hasn't been reading this as close as I so I'll jump in on this question.
After reading several of Aussie's posts on just what is and isn't public domain the question of reprints has been touched on.
Just because a more modern book is a exact reprint of a public domain comic does Not mean we can share it without any worries.  The entire reprint book is likely copyrighted so we can't use it.
So depending on the age of the Pogo Parade Giant book (Aussie doesn't want anything 1956+) it might be best to not share it here.  BUT as I've mentioned there are other places that would want to see the book and I hope you DO scan it one day for sharing.  Just give me a shout in a PM and we can talk about these things.  Personally I'd LOVE to see the scan but I do have to honour the rules of this site.

-Yoc

I have a copy of the Pogo Parade Giant, which other than the cover is nothing but reprints from Animal Comics.  Would it be appropriate, and would people even want it, if I scanned it and posted the stories as partial scans of the Animal Comics issues?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:07:26 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »

Are Animal Comics and Pogo comics permissible posts here?  As I said I have all of Pogo including the two Four Color issues and Pogo Parade scanned (except for those two pages -- one of which Eric can supply).  I can upload here if allowed.  Failing that I'll make a savefile project of them for easy downloading.

Pogo Parade is definitely pre 1956, but I don't know about it's PD status.

Eric, I scanned the centerfold of Animal Comics #28 for you, and I do have the ifc to Funnies #8.  I put them into the same folder with your scans and apparently uploaded the wrong one. 

Here is a link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bxrebs

You should find a .rar file there that has the corret ifc to Funnies #8, the centerfold to Animal #28 and just in case, the front cover to Animal #28

The covers for Funnies #23-25 should be coming soon as well.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:37:53 PM by JonTheScanner »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »

Ok, a question on the Animal Comics issues:  I've got 26 and 28; I'll scan and post those if they're ok.  (The 28 is missing the centerfold, which includes a page of the Pogo story.  But I've got a reprint of that story in one of the later issues of Pogo, so I can at least fill the key page.)
[Please do scan these for sharing here!]

And, a quick check of a second box adds these to my possible scans list; are there any we don't actually need?:

Jingle Jangle Comics 9  [AFAIK only 6,17,19 have been scanned but I don't have them]
Captain Marvel Junior 118 [we only have a fiche scan of this so YES Please do scan it some day!]
Fawcett's Funny Animals: 10, 18, 59, 77  [only 59 has been scanned]
Marvel Family 35  [again we only have a fiche scan of this so YES Please...]
Mary Marvel 22  [never been scanned - yes again]
Master Comics 95, 121  [and neither of these has been scanned as well.]

Hope that helps a little bit, perhaps someone else can
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »

Hi Jon,
Frankly I'm not the finally answer on this sort of question - it really is Aussie's opinion that matters.
I'll try and get her to comment on it so please hold off on these until she can get back to us.
(but you know what my heart is saying!)
;D

Are Animal Comics and Pogo comics permissible posts here?  As I said I have all of Pogo including the two Four Color issues and Pogo Parade scanned (except for those two pages -- one of which Eric can supply).  I can upload here if allowed.  Failing that I'll make a savefile project of them for easy downloading.

Yoc, Pogo Parade is definitely pre 1956, but I don't know about it's PD status.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 01:14:55 AM »

I've got those three Jingle Jangle Comics that are scanned and will up them right now.  I'd LOVE to see more of that funky funky comic. 

Cheers,

Darwin

EDIT: Oops, just checked all three are already here - but I repeat the more the merrier  8).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:17:44 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 04:12:27 AM »

Animal Comics seem OK but Pogo is out, Pogo Possum, Pogo Parade, the strips from The Evening Star even the old colouring book are all copyright protected still, or at least from the 1950's onwards. The Walt Kelly estate could request the removal of the Animal Comics, but l can find no renewal for them but often individual stories are copyrighted rather than the entire comic at least with the Dell comics, which makes it hard to actually find the renewal notice sometimes.

l would still recommend scanning them for preservation reasons, just because Pogo cannot be shared here does not mean any scans will be unread or unloved, there are plenty of other sharing methods that do not require the source material to be public domain. And Pogo having his own site does make it a bit easier to ask for permission although l am not incredibly hopeful.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »

Thanks again for your always helpful advice Aussie
:)
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

As I said, Pogo, including the two Four Color issues and Pogo Parade, is all scanned (except for two pages I hope to get from Eric). 

I was going to put these up on Savefile.com, but after looking around there, I'm not sure it's the best place.  It doesn't look like it's being "run" anymore and the forum seems to have been taken over by spammers.  Most importantly the FAQ's advice doesn't seem to correspond to the current version.

Doe anyone know of a similar site?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 03:53:29 PM »

Hi Jon,
Well, I know of a few Savefile projects that suddenly went poof in the night and were gone.
I also know of a couple that have been working fine for over a year...

http://www.4shared.com
is another that allows collections much like Savefile.

I hope those help - and let me know if you set one up ok?
Thanks!
-Yoc

I was going to put these up on Savefile.com, but after looking around there, I'm not sure it's the best place.  It doesn't look like it's being "run" anymore and the forum seems to have been taken over by spammers.  Most importantly the FAQ's advice doesn't seem to correspond to the current version.

Doe anyone know of a similar site?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.