in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

NARFSTAR's offerings

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46

topic icon Author Topic: NARFSTAR's offerings  (Read 320877 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Angel 15
« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »

I did not check the pd status of Angel. I will move it to the suspect folder until status is approved by jcolag or Aussie.

Missing 2 centerfolds in Dell.

One of the (very very) few things I find annoying about this site is finding out I have scans that I thought were not PD but are apparently OK to upload which could have saved someone some work.  I have scans of the entire Angel series most of them scanned by me or Dell4C.  I will upload these now.  There is no issue #1 it was Four Color 576 which I will also upload once I check to see if it's needed.

Would some nice moderator make a subgroup for Angel under Dell, please.

So while I'm thinking about it, what's the PD status of Little Iodine also all scanned?

And before anyone scans a Dell comic, I'd suggest some work might be saved by checking
http://www.cbarchive.com/Dell/DellChecklist.htm
to see if it's already been scanned.  I should be able to post any PD Dell that that list says is scanned.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: NARFSTAR's offerings
« Reply #476 on: March 22, 2009, 03:24:13 AM »

Mine take very little time and are just meant for a laugh. I am not really interested in making them look good just silly.

LOL, cute Narf.  :)
You sir need to get a copy of PhotoShop or PaintPro from somewhere.

Those MonkeyNFO covers I've made actually take quite a while to do but I've always enjoyed them more than the actually scans so they are my reward for a job.  I never do them before the rest of the book is finished.
*sigh*, it's been a while since I've done any edits and I've got a pile of things on hold here... [Costello]I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Monkey![/Costello]

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #477 on: March 22, 2009, 03:31:33 AM »

Jim,
I thought I'd posted this already but BIP Comics has an entire section devoted to this -
Publisher Insignia and Indicia Data - http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/logos/index.cfm

That should be of some help.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #478 on: March 22, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »

And before anyone scans a Dell comic, I'd suggest some work might be saved by checking
http://www.cbarchive.com/Dell/DellChecklist.htm
to see if it's already been scanned.  I should be able to post any PD Dell that that list says is scanned.

Informative link. Thanks.

And seeing Dell was one of the publishers not accounted in the tabulation attempt to arrive at a rough estimate of the total number of books published pre 1956 might you know off hand the last year of Dell's publication in comics? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:15:20 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #479 on: March 22, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »

I don't know of Dell's last year publishing comics off hand, but it was way after the Golden-Age cutoff date.  Before 1962, Dell distributed Western's output.  Beginning in 1962, Western began to prduce under the Gold Key and later Whitman labels.  Dell continued to limp along for about another decade.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #480 on: March 23, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »

Thanks Jon,
I see a road map in that Dell site if someone were to spend the time isolating the issues with an Overstreet. Would have made a nice wintertime project when snowed-in.

Some might think desiring to know a total number to be a bit on the extreme side but seems to me more along the side of a necessary bit of data to assist in the ongoing compiling work.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #481 on: March 23, 2009, 04:53:40 AM »

Hi Narf,
Given how many small and obscure publishers existed at the time I have doubt any exact number will ever be known but I wish you well in your quest.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #482 on: March 23, 2009, 06:38:33 PM »

I did not check the pd status of Angel. I will move it to the suspect folder until status is approved by jcolag or Aussie.

In case my Private Message went awry somehow, and so any interested parties can file the information as they like, I found an Angel series that appears to have run in about the same years with the same issue numbers (most notably starting with issue #2), renewed, but by the Chicago Sun-Times Syndicate.  Assuming there weren't two books that were so similar, then the syndicate currently owns the Angel copyrights and they're not public domain.

To my limited knowledge, they're not directly related to Dell, but if they're the same series, it could indicate a corporate connection or a character license.

On the other hand, if someone knows anything about two books with similar profiles on the market, that would probably mean that the series is in the public domain and I found something unrelated.

Clear as mud, as they say.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #483 on: March 23, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »

The Angel comics that Dell produced were copyrighted by the Chicago Sun-Times Syndicate.  Or at least #2 was, I didn't check them all.  They do not appear to be reprints of newspaper strips, but they undoubtedly star a newspaper strip character.  The Dell series starts with #2 since the first issue was in the Four Color series, and Overstreet list only one series by the name of Angel, so the Dell series is undoubtedly the one whose copyright was renewed by Chicago Sun-Times.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #484 on: March 23, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, Jon.  The issue I grabbed at random had a Dell indicia, I thought, but that definitely answers the question.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Stamps Comics 002
« Reply #485 on: March 25, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »

True stories some pretty interesting.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Super funnies upgrade
« Reply #486 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »

Say thanks to Roy Thomas. He needed better scans than my digicams. So now uploading in 300 ppi goodness
Ready in a few minutes.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #487 on: April 08, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

Thanks Narf!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »

Super Funnies seems pretty obscure so my scans may be the only thing most ever see. I should have done em right the first time. I know better now.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #489 on: April 09, 2009, 01:00:32 AM »

Thanks Narf, just got the new scan now.  Lovely!
And you're right, many of these rare books of yours are likely the only ones to be scanned so this rescan is most welcomed.
:)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2009, 02:37:32 AM »

I forgot to put tiffs in the need edit folder. I rushed these to get them to Roy and I am not the best straightener. So I will put them up to be edited
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #491 on: April 09, 2009, 04:23:27 AM »

DHFH seems to enjoy helping with edits - you might send him a PM when you've got something waiting Narf.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #492 on: April 15, 2009, 01:05:34 AM »

From Here to Insanity #10 from Charlton thanks to Even Steven
ip icon Logged

dhfh

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2009, 05:22:11 AM »

Hey guys,

Narfstar has just made some new postings, but I'm afraid I must report that two of them are mislabeled: Exciting Comics #59 & Exciting #71 are in fact Thrilling Comics #59 and Thilling #71.

Both still Nedor material...Nedor material is always good to see...More Nedor material is a must...But these two aren't the Nedor material  advertised....Just thought you'd want to know...

'Night All!

DHFH
ip icon Logged

krankyboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »

I figured something was amiss considering Exciting Comics only goes up to #69 (I think).
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #495 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »

Thanks guys good catch.
I've deleted both as we had them already.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #496 on: April 19, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »

Guess I get too "excited" and jump the gun when I find some promising acquisitions elsewhere. Need to start checking files first.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

NP Narf.
If you are getting them from DC++ I always double check.  I can't begin to count the number of misnamed files I've found on the hubs.  *sigh*

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Super-Dooper 7
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »

Cover to cover in 300ppi goodness and found two places. I put this in unsorted from Able Manufacturing and in Harvey because this issue is Harvey reprints. Shock Gibson from Speed 27, Steve Case Crime Reporter from All-New Short Story Comics#1, Winnie the Welder from War Victory Adventures and some other unidentified reprints.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Terry and the Pirates
« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »

Thanks to Even Steven for an upgrade to 26 and new 27 cover to cover in Charlton
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.