in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #322-English Scanlations of 3 Dutch GA Comics

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #322-English Scanlations of 3 Dutch GA Comics  (Read 954 times)

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Reading Group #322-English Scanlations of 3 Dutch GA Comics
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2024, 06:57:02 AM »

Ahh... where to begin? Probably with my favorite, The Sledgehammer. I couldn't help but notice similarities between this character and The Shadow. Both have a communications network as well as as a group of agents who use their talents to help the chief pull off the current caper. Modern day (sort of) swashbuckling and derring-do. The art was adequate, but nothing special. It was the writing that kept my interest with plenty of whirlwind action and an interesting plot twist. Quite enjoyed this character.
Fulgor was a typical Golden Age space opera, no better or worse than many American offerings of the time. The art was good and the writing good enough to carry me to the finish.
Despite the sometimes overwhwelming dialog balloons, I also quite enjoyed The 2nd Pimpernal. Good art and a clever plot twist made me want to read the next issue. To me, that is the sign of a successful comic!
Thanks to all who helped bring these gems to our attention! Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 11:43:04 PM »

The 2nd Pimpernel 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=89314

This is fun!

The first thing that strikes me is that the translation from Dutch to English is literal. For example,
'First we must cater to this impatient telephone' is literal, whereas, 'Better answer the phone!' would have been what an English speaker would say. I approve of translating the material this way because it makes the reader aware that this is not a story happening in an English-speaking country. 
It seems clear to me that the creator [Siem Praamsma - Dutch Indonesian in origin ?] is a big fan of American Noir films and especially serials of the time.
Courtesy of YouTube I am watching a lot of films of that ilk. The Hero always drives a convertible. And this hero is also driving a Ford!
Also, that last page,
Who is the second Pimpernel?  What has happened to Mr Rank? How and Where will we find her again?
These questions will be resolved in the second episode of 'The Second Pimpernel'! 

That's straight out of the end of an episode of a movie serial.
Robb, when you get to do the compilation - leave those episode markers in please! Adds to the flavor.

One thing is disturbing, 'Mr Rank' is lying on the ground and the last thing the baddies say is, 'Then we'll drag her along'. I have visions of the poor woman being dragged behind a car. Hope not. 
Can't wait for episode 2!   

Thanks Robb, as I said, 'Great Fun!'   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:56:51 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2024, 12:00:47 AM »

The Sledgehammer 1 - The Vulture From Paris (translation)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=89338

This character reminds me of the British character 'The Spider' and maybe a little of 'the Green Hornet'.
Taking a wider perspective on these books, I'm thinking that these were post-war efforts from a country coming out of occupation.  There was probably a shortage of paper and ink and the work had to be marketed cheaply as the general populace didn't have much disposable income. 
American popular culture - as it did worldwide after WWII was everywhere and there was a need for fantasy heroes.
Who are the villains here? Bankers, backed up by police who may not be corrupt but are obliged to uphold the rights of the 'establishment'. 'The Sledghammer'  - great name for a character - is Robin Hood in that environment. He uses what would have, in that period, have passed for High-tech gadgets.   
Unlike US comics which evolve out of a long tradition of Penny Dreadfuls, Newspaper strips and Pulps, these works are done in imitation by people who are working it out as they go along.
So having these in English, not only gives us a good read but adds to the Historical significance of CB+.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:15:33 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2024, 12:37:43 AM »

Fulgor - Stratosphere Flyer 7 - The City of Steel
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=89316

The art on this is excellent. I like the single panel one page illos. Especially page 5.
Question:- today, would people actually get out in the street, or stay indoors watching TV or computer screens?
The story is obviously an episode and not the first in the story. [7?]   
OH, Fulgor is Portuguese for
blaze
chama, labareda, brilho, fogueira, esplendor, fulgor
bright
claridade, esplendor, fulgor
fire
fogo, incêndio, chama, lume, ardor, fulgor
flame
chama, flama, fogo, paixão, amor, fulgor
shine
brilho, polimento, luz, lustre, fulgor, claridade

In other words, FLASH!

Two comments.
If 'Only a few people will survive!' why do the villains think they will survive?
I note that we see Rose with a weapon in her hand and 'loaded for Bear' but the next panel we just see the antagonist laid out on the floor - we never actually see her in action - in a story loaded with visual action.
Was there a prohibition on showing a woman fighting?

This is my kind of comic. Minimum verbal, Maximum visual - a good balanced flowing story.

Thanks again Robb! A worthy enterprise. 

Guest poster on Monday.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2024, 12:52:47 AM »

On 'the Second Pimpernel.'
I can't help noticing his stated motivation.
'Should there ever be another war ... it will not be a struggle for the power or honour of two or more nations, but a preplanned and carefully elaborated play - the direction of which will be in the hands of the leaders of the so-called war industries such as the steel-oil-atomic- chemical industry ...... ' 

Fascinating that this was written in 1947. Eisenhower only gave his famous speech on this subject in 1961.

President Eisenhower warns of military-industrial complex
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/eisenhower-warns-of-military-industrial-complex

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2024, 08:41:46 AM »

Ahh... where to begin? Probably with my favorite, The Sledgehammer. I couldn't help but notice similarities between this character and The Shadow. Both have a communications network as well as as a group of agents who use their talents to help the chief pull off the current caper. Modern day (sort of) swashbuckling and derring-do. The art was adequate, but nothing special. It was the writing that kept my interest with plenty of whirlwind action and an interesting plot twist. Quite enjoyed this character.
Fulgor was a typical Golden Age space opera, no better or worse than many American offerings of the time. The art was good and the writing good enough to carry me to the finish.
Despite the sometimes overwhwelming dialog balloons, I also quite enjoyed The 2nd Pimpernal. Good art and a clever plot twist made me want to read the next issue. To me, that is the sign of a successful comic!
Thanks to all who helped bring these gems to our attention! Cheers, bowers

Glad you liked the three books.  I intended to next translate our earliest "Bob Crack" issue, to provide a view of another Dutch Golden Age Beeldroman (miniature comic book).  But in reading it, I realised that it will be a tough task, because the writer's handwriting is very sloppy, and that, combined with uneven reproduction (light areas where the lines break up) makes it tough to discern individual letters, and hard to recognise or read several words in the same area (making it difficult to guess what he is trying to say).  So, instead, I will just continue translating the "2nd Pimpernel" episodic books until I finish all 8.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2024, 09:45:27 AM »

The 2nd Pimpernel 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=89314

This is fun!

(1)  The first thing that strikes me is that the translation from Dutch to English is literal. For example,
'First we must cater to this impatient telephone' is literal, whereas, 'Better answer the phone!' would have been what an English speaker would say. I approve of translating the material this way because it makes the reader aware that this is not a story happening in an English-speaking country. 

(2) It seems clear to me that the creator [Siem Praamsma - Dutch Indonesian in origin ?] is a big fan of American Noir films and especially serials of the time.
Courtesy of YouTube I am watching a lot of films of that ilk. The Hero always drives a convertible. And this hero is also driving a Ford!

Also, that last page,
Who is the second Pimpernel?  What has happened to Mr Rank? How and Where will we find her again?
These questions will be resolved in the second episode of 'The Second Pimpernel'! 

(3)  That's straight out of the end of an episode of a movie serial.
Robb, when you get to do the compilation - leave those episode markers in please! Adds to the flavor.

One thing is disturbing, 'Mr Rank' is lying on the ground and the last thing the baddies say is, 'Then we'll drag her along'. I have visions of the poor woman being dragged behind a car. Hope not. 
Can't wait for episode 2!   

(4)  Thanks Robb, as I said, 'Great Fun!'

(1)  I DID make the dialogue as native English speakers would communicate orally.  I only left that special phrase in because it is an integral part of revealing the story's main character's (Inspector Vierling's) character traits of being very casual even regarding his efforts to solve crimes, and also having a witty and creative sense of humour.  I don't think that assigning a humanlike character to the telephone was any more a Dutch way of speaking in 1947 than an American, Canadian, Australian or British way.  I might have said something like that (and it wouldn't be because I'm half Dutch).

(2)   Both "Siem" and "Praamsma"  are Frisian names.  "Siem"  is short for the Frisian first (given) name, "Sievert" .  Siem is also the short name for "Simon" in Dutch.  But that was probably originally borrowed from Old Frisian, in any case.  Praamsma literally means "barge  man". A surname given to a man who piloted a barge, or worked on a barge.  Praam means "barge" in Fries, and the suffix "sma" is used to indicate the occupation of a man  (the final "n" in the suffix "man" was dropped several centuries ago.  The occupation of a woman in Fries and Dutch is indicated by the suffix "ster", as in "werkster" "a female worker". It was the same in Old and Middle English, as seen in the word "seamstress", which was originally "seamster" before the suffix "ess" started to be used to designate female occupations.

(3)   I will leave in the episode endings, noting them.  Each starting page has a new title page, that would clue the reader in, in any case.

(4) I'm glad you liked my choices.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »

Fulgor - Stratosphere Flyer 7 - The City of Steel
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=89316

The art on this is excellent. I like the single panel one page illos. Especially page 5.
Question:- today, would people actually get out in the street, or stay indoors watching TV or computer screens?
(1)  The story is obviously an episode and not the first in the story. [7?]  

(2)   OH, Fulgor is Portuguese for
blaze[/b]
chama, labareda, brilho, fogueira, esplendor, fulgor
bright
claridade, esplendor, fulgor
fire
fogo, incêndio, chama, lume, ardor, fulgor
flame
chama, flama, fogo, paixão, amor, fulgor
shine
brilho, polimento, luz, lustre, fulgor, claridade

In other words, FLASH!

Two comments.
(3)  If 'Only a few people will survive!' why do the villains think they will survive?

(4)  I note that we see Rose with a weapon in her hand and 'loaded for Bear' but the next panel we just see the antagonist laid out on the floor - we never actually see her in action - in a story loaded with visual action.
Was there a prohibition on showing a woman fighting?

This is my kind of comic. Minimum verbal, Maximum visual - a good balanced flowing story.

(5)  Thanks again Robb! A worthy enterprise. 

Guest poster on Monday.

(1) This episodic series had 48 issues in all.  I don't know if all 48 made up just a single story, or it was divided into a few different ones, connected by Fulgor's continuing saga.  I believe that, originally, it was an Italian newspaper strip, given that the writer/artist Predazza was Italian, as was his co-writer, Renzi, and the Lilliputian horizontally-oriented mini-comics were more popular in Italy at that time, than anywhere else.  Unfortunately, we only have 6 of the 48.

(2)  Fulgor has the same meanings in Latin, and Italian.  This was an Italian series, translated into Dutch, and likely German and French, as well.

(3). The villains were on Mars, and just used a machine to deflect an asteroid in the Asteroid Belt near Mars, towards The Earth, on a trajectory to crash into that planet.  They didn't plan to go to Earth until after the crash.  Yes, it would seem silly of them to go to Earth to conquer it for themselves if it had just suffered a mass extinction of its plants and animals, and had gasses in its atmosphere toxic to most complex, larger animals, and would be soon to suffer from a new ice age from ash in the sky.  Although, the science in this typical science-fiction story of the 1940s isn't very logical, anyway, with Earthman, Fulgor able to breathe Martian air.  And the landscape shown in the martian scenes is all barren.  What do The martians eat? 

(4)  Fulgor's ladyfriend clubbed the villain's head, knocking him unconscious.  During the 1940s it was very unladylike for women to act so violently.  But there were many women who fought bravely and committed violent acts as  members of the underground forces in their Axis-occupied countries.  I'm sure that everyone was glad about what they accomplished.

(5)   I'm glad you enjoyed the stories.  I will start transllating the remaining 7 issues of "De tweede Pimpernel" very soon.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2024, 11:33:08 AM »

Robb said,
Both "Siem" and "Praamsma"  are Frisian names.

I have a degree in Visual Arts, Fine Arts with a Major in Photography.
One of my lecturers was Frisian. Another was a Fin. 
'Praamsma' phonetically sounds Asian and there are Indonesians, some prominent, in the Netherlands, hence my erroneous assumption.

cheers!   
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2024, 05:07:26 PM »

Robb said,
Both "Siem" and "Praamsma"  are Frisian names.

I have a degree in Visual Arts, Fine Arts with a Major in Photography.
One of my lecturers was Frisian. Another was a Fin. 
'Praamsma' phonetically sounds Asian and there are Indonesians, some prominent, in the Netherlands, hence my erroneous assumption.
cheers!   

Yes, I can understand your coming to that conclusion, especially because "Siem" is a common Indonesian surname.  What a rare trio of coincidences come together to link The Dutch (West) Frisians with The Indonesians!  In this situation, an indigenous minority people from a European country meet a minority island people in a large East Asian country half way across The World, who have been brought together through colonialism, who just happen to share some similar sounding words from two completely unrelated languages and language groups!!!  What are the odds of ALL THAT happening? 

I am well aware of the Indonesian presence in The Netherlands.  I have some good friends who are of Indonesian origin, and my favourite food there is Indonesian.  If I eat in a restaurant there, it is mostly Indonesian.  Don't be fooled thinking that a "rijstafel" is real Indonesian quisine.  It is quite watered down to Dutch tastes.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2024, 04:03:46 AM »

Australia, being georgaphically almost part of asia, we get a large proportion of Asian immigrants and thus many of us are conversant with Asian food but not so much South American or African - although it's easy to find those in the cities. I can make a passable Nasi Goreng. and a Gado-Gado.

who have been brought together through colonialism 
That's true for the period of European Colonialism but the archipelago has been multi-cultural long before that, each Island had it's own tribes and culture - much of it was Buddhist before Hindu and Moslem.  [And later Christian. And of course there were Jews there and as usual they punched well above their weight.
Indonesia Virtual Jewish History Tour     
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/indonesia-virtual-jewish-history-tour
The Indonesian constitution guarantees religious freedom; however, the government only recognizes Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism. Jews must register as Christian or another recognized religion on their official identity cards.

Off topic I know, but interesting. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2024, 05:30:45 PM »

Australia, being geogaphically almost part of asia, we get a large proportion of Asian immigrants and thus many of us are conversant with Asian food but not so much South American or African - although it's easy to find those in the cities. I can make a passable Nasi Goreng. and a Gado-Gado.

who have been brought together through colonialism 
That's true for the period of European Colonialism but the archipelago has been multi-cultural long before that, each Island had it's own tribes and culture - much of it was Buddhist before Hindu and Moslem.  [And later Christian. And of course there were Jews there and as usual they punched well above their weight.

Indonesia Virtual Jewish History Tour   
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/indonesia-virtual-jewish-history-tour
The Indonesian constitution guarantees religious freedom; however, the government only recognizes Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism. Jews must register as Christian or another recognized religion on their official identity cards.

Off topic I know, but interesting.

I would think that all The religious Jews, who were residents in Indonesia at the time The Indonesian constitution went into force, would have left that country, rather than be forced to use an identity card which states that they are a member of Indonesia's Christian community, as they would have considered that any Christian sect would have been polytheists, for worshipping The Trinity, as well as Mary, and praying to Saints, as well as being idolators, for making images of the objects of their worship.  Hindus would also have been considered polytheists and idolators.  Bhuddists would have also been considered suffering from idolatry.  And the fact that the Jews wouldn't have also been Confucianists would make it difficult for Jews to accept having that designation on their identity cards.  There were Jewish merchants in Indonesia, who came there first with The Indian traders, and many who came there regularly with the Arabs (who WERE Arabs -Jewish Arabs).  So after more than 2,000 (or, at least 1,500) years of residing in that country, why were The Indonesians adamant about not allowing other religions to be listed on their identity cards?  If it was a matter of population numbers for collecting of taxes, why didn't the categories just include ONE additional category listed as "Non-National Religions" - and also list the name of the religion along with it?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 05:47:18 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2024, 01:09:00 AM »

I've been unable to comment on Reading Group books lately, and I wanted to squeak something in while the Dutch scanlations are still current. It's great to be able to read these in English. I know zero Dutch and have had to fake my way through some of the books mixing English, German, and good old Google Translate.

The Second Pimpernel is fun. Though the art is rather crude it has a certain charm. I wonder why the inspector smiles all the time. It's funny how Siem Praamsma gave up on some the harder figures--especially the inspector's boss--but details the dickens out of the cars. Something which I confess having done once or twice. While on the subject, the talking cigarette panel (panel #26 on our page 9) goes into my file of master's level cop outs.

From the page numbers and the running heads I assume these scans were taken from a newer compilation volume. The story has some interesting points. The suggestion that the next war will be engineered not by Commies but by greedy munitions manufacturers reminds me of the earliest days of Superman, when he was going after unscrupulous industrialists and such. Like everyone else, I wonder why even her sister calls Mr Rank "Mr Rank." Could Praamsma have done it simply because he thought it'd be funny to have a heroine named Mister something?

I'd be interested to read future episodes and see where Praamsma is going with this.

Fulgor 7: The Steel City certainly looks and reads like one of those cheapie Italian striscie-format titles. The art is respectable enough while the dialogue is rudimentary. Maybe The Second Pimpernel used so many words there weren't any left over for Fulgor and friends.

I notice that the rogue asteroid is called "Bellus," which was the name of the rogue star that destroys the Earth in the 1951 movie adaptation of When Worlds Collide. This comic came out in 1953 so I guess we have some influence here.

Overall I found this one too diagrammatic to be interesting.

What struck me first about The Sledgehammer #1 is the narrative style. Many captions are written as if a grandfather were reading the story to his pre-literate grandchild. Our page 28 is a good example.

"See, Hans? The Sledgehammer climbs onto the windowsill carefully calculating his jump. Go! There he goes! [...] He lands on the roof of the car. The officers didn't notice anything. They're still shooting at the car.  Exciting, huh?" "What does 'calculating' mean, Grandpa?"

The breathless pace of the story makes up for the amateur artwork. Hans Ducro tries hard (most of the time--see the Place des Invalides on page 36 for an exception). His earnest effort calls attention to his limitations. The script begs for an artist with better command of figures and backgrounds.

I wonder if part of the problem is that the panels seem to have been drawn printed size which, as we know, was very small. In the Dutch original the typewritten copy appears to be standard Pica size. It'd be smaller if it had been typed onto larger originals which were then reduced for printing. Even seasoned artists would have a hard time putting much detail into drawings only a couple of inches square.

I thank Robb for launching this project. I'm always looking to learn more about non-English comics and their characters.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2024, 08:32:13 AM »

I've been unable to comment on Reading Group books lately, and I wanted to squeak something in while the Dutch scanlations are still current. It's great to be able to read these in English. I know zero Dutch and have had to fake my way through some of the books mixing English, German, and good old Google Translate.

The Second Pimpernel is fun. Though the art is rather crude it has a certain charm.

(1)  I wonder why the inspector smiles all the time.

(2)  It's funny how Siem Praamsma gave up on some the harder figures--especially the inspector's boss--but details the dickens out of the cars.

Something which I confess having done once or twice. While on the subject, the talking cigarette panel (panel #26 on our page 9) goes into my file of master's level cop outs.

(3)  From the page numbers and the running heads I assume these scans were taken from a newer compilation volume.

The story has some interesting points. The suggestion that the next war will be engineered not by Commies but by greedy munitions manufacturers reminds me of the earliest days of Superman, when he was going after unscrupulous industrialists and such.

(4)  Like everyone else, I wonder why even her sister calls Mr Rank "Mr Rank." Could Praamsma have done it simply because he thought it'd be funny to have a heroine named Mister something?

(5)  I'd be interested to read future episodes and see where Praamsma is going with this.

(6)  Fulgor 7: The Steel City certainly looks and reads like one of those cheapie Italian striscie-format titles. The art is respectable enough while the dialogue is rudimentary.
Maybe The Second Pimpernel used so many words there weren't any left over for Fulgor and friends.

(7)  I notice that the rogue asteroid is called "Bellus," which was the name of the rogue star that destroys the Earth in the 1951 movie adaptation of When Worlds Collide. This comic came out in 1953 so I guess we have some influence here.

Overall I found this one too diagrammatic to be interesting.

(8)  What struck me first about The Sledgehammer #1 is the narrative style. Many captions are written as if a grandfather were reading the story to his pre-literate grandchild. Our page 28 is a good example.

"See, Hans? The Sledgehammer climbs onto the windowsill carefully calculating his jump. Go! There he goes! [...] He lands on the roof of the car. The officers didn't notice anything. They're still shooting at the car.  Exciting, huh?" "What does 'calculating' mean, Grandpa?"

Hans Ducro tries hard (most of the time--see the Place des Invalides on page 36 for an exception). His earnest effort calls attention to his limitations. The script begs for an artist with better command of figures and backgrounds.

(9)  I wonder if part of the problem is that the panels seem to have been drawn printed size which, as we know, was very small. In the Dutch original the typewritten copy appears to be standard Pica size. It'd be smaller if it had been typed onto larger originals which were then reduced for printing. Even seasoned artists would have a hard time putting much detail into drawings only a couple of inches square.

(1)  I, too, wonder why Inspector Vierling smiles in almost all his panels, even when he is under more pressure to solve the case.  He is very confident in his own ability, despite his department knowing very little about The Pimpernel.

(2)  Yes, Praamsma's artwork was a bit uneven.  But it was decent enough for me to be able to enjoy the story.

(3)   Yes, the scans of each numbered panel were the original whole pages of the original, tiny book, which were grouped, mostly 4 to a page, in the reprint anthology book, printed many years later (I think  during the late 1970s).  The originals were roughly the size of an American pack of cigarettes, half again taller (about 5 inches tall, and 3 wide).  So the original panels were drawn somewhat larger than you guessed, but still a bit smaller than a standard page drawn by most of my colleagues from. the 1970s-2000.  I'm not sure at what size current US comic book artists draw.

(4) & (5)  I plan to read and translate the remaining 7 episode issues of "De 2de Pimpernel" next, and hope to find out why Praamsma bothered to have a woman industrialist using the title, "Mr."

(6)  Yes, "Fulgor" was originally an Italian horizontally-oriented mini-comic (Lilliput format) series (I'm guessing was originally a daily newspaper strip.  I agree that it's artwork by Pradazza is quite adequate, and I like the action scenes.  "De 2de Pimpernel", on the other hand, is mostly made up of static scenes with little action and much too much narrative and dialogue.

(7)   I remember watching "When Worlds Collide" on TV during the late 1950s.  I forgot that the breakaway planet was called Bellus.  Only less than 2 years after the run of that film, it is clear that that was the source of the asteroid's name in Fulgor.

(8)  That repetition of what is shown in the artwork written in the narrative boxes or the same panel's or page's dialogue in "De Moker" is a terrible waste of potential story-telling space, not to mention that it is also an insult to the reader.  It is one of the first errors editors tell their new story scriptors and artists to avoid.  I'd have been fired if I did that more than a couple times.  It sabotages the very raison-d'etre of the comic book or comic strip form of storytelling, being a blending of visual (seeing the action with your own eyes) with the reading of the printed word (which becomes a guide for you to visualise in your mind's eye, what is happening).  That hurt my enjoyment of a story that is fast-paced, and full of action, and has a strain of subtle humour, going through, but whose artwork is a bit amateurish. 

(9)   Yes, I agree that the size of the original drawings were smaller than optimal (probably also related to the post WWII paper shortage).

All in all, I enjoyed reading all 3 books, which were published during my youth.  But my older cousins didn't have any of the Beeldromansen, as they were not very well known.  I started buying comic books for myself in 1952.  But, in The Netherlands I bought only comedy comics, Disney, and Marten Toonder titles, and Suske & Wiske.  I read some of the adventure comics that my older cousins had, including Sci-Fi series.  But they didn't have Fulgor.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.