in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

(2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

topic icon Author Topic: (2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!  (Read 89465 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: (2nd March 2008) Update on last few weeks and current situation!
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2008, 10:48:28 PM »

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3834  zero 79
Adventures into the Unknown 25  c2c 52pgs ACG

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=2524
Victory Comics #3  67 pages

ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2008, 11:48:15 PM »

Thanks narfstar.
ip icon Logged

Ramcrammer

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ramcrammer
message icon
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »

l doubt it, but if 1/4 of our members downloaded 2 files and left comments as to what they were we would probably have them all finished. No we do not expect you to sit there all day downloading, it was just a suggestion for for those who wanted to help out.

Thanks for your reply, Aussie.  Not to beat a dead horse, but since I am able to upload lists of files, unattended, to the FTP site using Filezilla, why couldn't a person download a number of files, unattended, from the FTP site?  Perhaps a special password protected directory could be created on the FTP site, for use by certain individuals only (admin? VIP? other?), who would then request specific files be placed in that special directory, for that person or persons to determine the file contents.  The requested files could be assigned to the individual making the request, so that duplication of work is avoided.  Then that person can use Filezilla, or similar, to download all their assigned files at once, notate them in the unsorted category on the download site, and announce when they have finished with their assigned files.  The only problem I see with this is possibly that the transfer of requested files to the FTP site might require extra effort by you or Serj to get them onto the FTP site.  I really don't know how such a transfer from the download site to the FTP site is done, but if you could use a utility like Filezilla, it would be pretty easy.  The actual transfer time isn't so important since nobody would have to "babysit" the process as now, with single file transfers.  If this method were used, I would request 40 files immediately, any 40 that Serj or yourself might wish to assign.  When finished,  I would request another bunch. 

Thanks for considering.

Ramcrammer
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »

Hi! I've added comments to a few files now. The following I downloaded about a week ago so they may already be sorted. Here I added the more detailed information that I described in my previous post:
Firehair12_23[1].JPG
FIREHAIR_008FIREHAIR_008_00_fc
FC89_01
Thrilling056-52

I downloaded these two days ago and have now looked through them all. I only added Title, Number, Publisher and any eventual Notes on these so I could do a few more:
Flying Models Vol.1 #3 (1954)
FW_13_36
FW_18_36
Penny_3-19
Soldier_Comics_v2no11
zero 4
zero 5
zero 40
zero 41
zero 42
zero 43
zero 44
zero 45
zero 50
zero 51
zero 52
zzzback

(I actually downloaded these and was about to look them through when I noticed that they had already been sorted:
Cowgirl_Romances_006Cowgirl_Romances_006__001
zero 46
zero 47
zero 48
zero 49

How are you supposed to be able help when you're all that quick!? :D)

Hopefully that helps at least a little!
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Aussie.  Not to beat a dead horse, but since I am able to upload lists of files, unattended, to the FTP site using Filezilla, why couldn't a person download a number of files, unattended, from the FTP site? 

Ramcrammer:
That is a good idea, but as far as I know only Serj has full access to the server.

Even if we had had all the comics downloaded, the renaming in the database had to be done
one by one using the webpage script, and that is the slowest part of the process.
Since there are several people  helping  downloading a few comics each and leaving comments,
the renaming and downloading speeds are  in equilibrium right now, and is being pretty fast.
Two weeks ago there were 2000 comics in the unsorted section. Now there are only 360.
At this speed,  we will finish renaming probably the next week.

So the need  for direct ftp downloads is not critical at this moment.

ip icon Logged

Ramcrammer

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Ramcrammer
message icon
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Aussie.  Not to beat a dead horse, but since I am able to upload lists of files, unattended, to the FTP site using Filezilla, why couldn't a person download a number of files, unattended, from the FTP site? 

Since there are several people  helping  downloading a few comics each and leaving comments,
the renaming and downloading speeds are  in equilibrium right now, and is being pretty fast.
Two weeks ago there were 2000 comics in the unsorted section. Now there are only 360.
At this speed,  we will finish renaming probably the next week.

So the need  for direct ftp downloads is not critical at this moment.

Thanks Citaltras.  Now, I'm feeling much better about all this.  I didn't realize this work was progressing so well.  Thanks to all you folks who have pitched in.   This really is a great community, and I'm proud to be a tiny part of it.  Once this fiasco is behind us, I'm sure GA-UK is headed for even greater glory.  Love all you folks.  Ya Hoo!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

OK call me dense.  I did not know how Bay was leaving just the unsort name and expecting anyone to know what it was.  I was checking the unsorted and noticed on the download page a comment on the bottom telling what it was.  So which way to you admins prefer?  Put the link here or just the file here after putting a commment on the bottom.  I just did zero 22
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=2781
putting the comment on the bottom that it was Whiz 126 Fawcett 36pgs c2c
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

zero 23
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2008, 02:11:09 PM »

zero 24
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2008, 02:14:08 PM »

zero 25
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »

Thanks Narfstar.
You may just leave a comment on the download pages if you like. We will see it.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

zero 26-30
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »

zero 33-36
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »

Yes, a comment on the download page is likely enough for us to go on but adding a note here isn't a bad idea either.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for chipping in during our time of need!
-Yoc

OK call me dense.  I did not know how Bay was leaving just the unsort name and expecting anyone to know what it was.  I was checking the unsorted and noticed on the download page a comment on the bottom telling what it was.  So which way to you admins prefer?  Put the link here or just the file here after putting a commment on the bottom.  I just did zero 22
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=2781
putting the comment on the bottom that it was Whiz 126 Fawcett 36pgs c2c
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »

Thanks to everyone helping out.

I can now work on site as work nice and quiet once again.

Little update for past donators to double check if the recuring payment is still active from old site please check your paypal here:
https://www.paypal.com/eBay/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-recurring-payments

If it is best thing to do is to delete old one and set a new one up or send me a PM and ill help you through process.
ip icon Logged

BAY575GOLDENAGE

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BAY575GOLDENAGE
message icon
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »

did them, then forgot,..... I think, ...or is it thought?

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3040

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3094

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3947

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=3331

only 263 files in unsorted, when there gone what will we do for fun?

I say we start a soft ball team!
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »

Well although we need to identify them all, some of them will be staying in unsorted, not as many as used to be, but still a few. Thanks for those 4 BAY575GOLDENAGE
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »

only 263 files in unsorted, when there gone what will we do for fun?

Now almost 250 files only.

It seems that most of the comics in unsorted have been moved
or renamed now or have  a comment with
their contents. If you want to help, we still need to check them all and rename if needed.
There are still a few to rename.
If you notice some comic with strange name without a comment,
please leave here a reply in this post and/or try to download it and
ading the comment yourself.

I want to thank again the people who have been downloading and  leaving comments.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2008, 02:02:12 AM »

zero39
ip icon Logged

wkeil

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: wkeil
message icon
Unable to Download
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2008, 03:35:54 AM »

I recently registered but cannot seem to download anything. When I try to download, it shows me as a guest and tells me that I have used up my quota for the day. Do I need to be signed in to download? If so, what forum do you go to in order to download? Please help.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Unable to Download
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2008, 04:08:30 AM »

I recently registered but cannot seem to download anything. When I try to download, it shows me as a guest and tells me that I have used up my quota for the day. Do I need to be signed in to download? If so, what forum do you go to in order to download? Please help.

Read the faq in my siggy.

B.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »

It was not easy to get that FAQ post back either, l had to hunt all over the internet for a cached page. 3/4 of the forum might vanish and we will survive, but we must have Yoc's FAQ.  ;D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2008, 10:50:39 PM »

Cheers Aussie!
Thanks for all the hard work you're doing behind the scenes here!
;D :D :)
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »

Hopefully the blank unsorted files will be updated by my script within next 2 - 4 days. Just want to test every part of it before I ran it otherwise it might mess up things even more if it runs and does something unexpected and we don't want that.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:45 AM »

Some I've left comments on under the "unlisted" section:

"Tor004-036" published by St. John Publishing. (can be moved to the St. John section)

"US Fighting Air Force 01 IW Enterprises" published by Superior Publishing Limited of Canada, (can be moved to the Canada section).

"Z-D Amazing Adventures 004 195108 36" published by Ziff-Davis Publishing Co. (can be moved to the Ziff Davis section).

"Strange Fantasy 009-36" published by Ajex Farrell. (can be moved to the Ajex-Farrell section).

"Strange Suspense 019-13" published by Charlton. (can be moved to the Charlton section).

"Scan10270.JPG" Egbert Spring Issue #1, published by Arnold Publishing. (can be moved to the Quality section).

"TC25 00COV" Thrilling Comics #025, 1941 published by Better Publications. (can be moved to the Better/Nedor/Standard Publications section).

We also have some name/issue number issues with files that are under publishers listed (Blackhawk series for one), I will list them later after I check out the whole list.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.