in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Artist identification thread

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

topic icon Author Topic: Artist identification thread  (Read 10049 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Re: Artist identification thread
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »

Prize art I'm pretty sure was drawn by Gil Kane (Headline Comics #20-22, 1946):

Well identified. I would think you are quite right.

Thanks! I felt that the art was consistent with Kanes Wildcat art from Sensation Comics #70-72 (1947). Kanes art, at least from the mid-1940s, can be identified by his tall and burly characters with lanky arms and the antihelix of the ear drawn as a crescent shape. I also got to better familiarize myself with Charles Voight, August Froehlich, and Munson Paddock while looking through the Prize art, making GCD corrections where I felt I was confident enough while using signed art to back the attributions up.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:33:57 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 12:43:21 AM »

It's a learned skill, isn't it? And its not always easy, you are often comparing early work with more refined and mature work and also in many cases there is an inker who distorts the pencilled work and who is also hard to identify.
But you are doing great. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 01:57:20 AM »

It's a learned skill, isn't it? And its not always easy, you are often comparing early work with more refined and mature work and also in many cases there is an inker who distorts the pencilled work and who is also hard to identify.
But you are doing great. 

Cheers!

Once you know what to look for, like with identifying faces and recurring visuals, and the ears in particular, then it tends to get easier in more things coming together in the identification from there. I remember looking at The Magnificent Epod from Triple Threat Comics earlier last year and not being able to tell the difference between August Froehlich and Charles Voight. And it wasnt until later I noticed that Froehlich tends to draw a sideways *L* inside the ears, while Voight draws a *J*, that it started to come together more for me that it was Froehlich.

Headline Comics #14:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:03:06 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2021, 06:04:46 PM »

Re; The Junior Rangers splash on page 4 signed "BEKAY"

I admit it it looks like Gil Kane pencils, but the signature leads me to suspect it was inked by Bernard Krigstein (BK).
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:08 PM »

Re; The Junior Rangers splash on page 4 signed "BEKAY"

I admit it it looks like Gil Kane pencils, but the signature leads me to suspect it was inked by Bernard Krigstein (BK).

Wouldnt doubt that Kane worked with Krigstein at least once, similar to how Kane used PEN STAR with Pen Shumaker, yeah.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:00:08 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2021, 01:22:45 AM »

Yank and Doodle art I?ve helped identify:

Maurice Del Bourgo (Prize 39):

Jack Alderman (Prize 54):

August Froehlich (Prize 58):

Gil Kane (Prize 59):

Ann Brewster (Prize 67):

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2021, 03:30:58 AM »

Seems that the Edward Poucher listed as drawing for features like Man O?Metal, Silver Streak, and the Shadow is the Edward Adolph Poucher born in 1882. I haven?t seen any specific comic stories attributed to him, though there is his work from the 1910s and 1920s which perhaps could be used for comparison, including from St. Nicholas, Collier's, and the Ladies' Home Journal:

http://www.americanartarchives.com/poucher.htm
ip icon Logged

Caputo

message icon
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

I have to wonder if there are in fact, two signatures there. The script for the one above is almost perpendicular, straight up and down. The one below is a script that slants noticeably to the right. That's quite unusual for a signature.
I don't think the top one reads, 'Bob' It may be a surname.   
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2021, 06:46:44 AM »

I have identified the artists for all but 2 stories in The unnumbered ACG/LaSalle 1945 130-Page Merry-Go-Round Giant Comic.  Those 2 stories are Oscar, The Ugly Duckling, and Mortimer Mutt. I'm placing 2 pages from each story here to see if anyone can identify those 2 artists for me.  First, Mortimer Mutt:

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2021, 06:50:38 AM »

Now the 2 Oscar, The Ugly Duckling pages:

Any ideas?  The were both working for Sangor Studios in late 1944 when they did this work.  The Mortimer Mutt artist's drawing style is quite unique, and should be easily recognisable. It looks a bit like Carl Wessler's style, but doesn't have any signiture with his name or any of his aliases, or, indeed, ANY signature or initials.  I don't think Wessler would have allowed that, considering he had made a signature deal with Sangor. The Oscar artist's style is very common among Sangor's artists, and so, should be a lot more difficult to discern the likely artist.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:01:50 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2021, 07:57:21 PM »

As far as I can tell, Walter Frehm drew the Green Mask (Michael Shelby) stories in Mystery Men Comics #1 (Aug. 1939) to Mystery Men Comics #9 (April 1940). The Walter Frame byline continues to be used, but none of the art looks like Walter Frehm to my eyes.

Unlike most of the other pen names/pseudonyms appearing in Fox Publications, I am inclined to suspect Jack Fiske, who wrote the Green Mask (Johnny Green) stories in 1945, was a real person.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jack_Fiske

I also suspect Fiske wrote the One-Round Hogan stories attributed to Jo Logan (byline).

Jacob Finkelstein was born on July 15, 1917, his father, Charles, was 36 and his mother, Grace, was 28. In 1940, at the time of the census, he was 22 years old and lived at 1929 50th Street, New York City, Kings County, New York, with his father, mother, brother, and 2 sisters. ?Ancestry.com, April 02, 2012
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2021, 06:08:24 AM »

RODNEY THOMSON

This topic spins off from the Reading Group discussion of Detective Picture Stories #4. The Australian Panther provided strong evidence that Rodney Thomson, who drew the centerspread, was the same person as  a magazine illustrator and printmaker who favored wildlife and Western themes. Though Internet info on Thomson proved scant, here's a brief sketch of his career compiled from the Panther's and my own research.

RODNEY F. THOMSON (1878-1941)

American visual artist Born in San Francisco. As a young man, he prospected for gold in California. He later studied art in San Francisco. He moved to New York in 1906, where he worked as an illustrator for magazines including Life, Puck, and Vanity Fair. 

The earliest illustration I could find is from Life magazine. It dates from 1913 and ridicules suffragettes.

(Note: Orson Lowell was a well-known pen-and-ink illustrator from whom Thomson swiped the classical heads.)

About the same time he drew this cartoon, apparently from Puck.

In 1915-1917 Thomson illustrated two or three (?) books for New York publishers. I found one online, Battleground Adventures edited by Clifton Johnston (Houghton Mifflin 1915). He did many fine illustrations for this book. Most of them are available in large size at Wikimedia Commons. Here's a sample:

One art dealer says, "[Thomson] illustrated many Children's and Young Adults' books including The Texas Flag Primer, The Open Road to Reading - Fifth Reader, The Field Fourth Reader, and my Indian Boyhood by Luther Standing Bear."

Here is a fine illustration from 1920:

Thomson is best known today for his drypoints. He exhibited them at the Chicago Society of Etchers in 1928. The subjects were primarily wildlife and scenes from the American West. Here's an example:

Thomson exhibited a painting in a big show at the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics It was titled "Hurdles." I haven't found a reproduction.

In 1935 the Chicago Society of Etchers donated five Thomson prints to the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The link below shows all five. Click a thumbnail to go to that print's page. Then click on the picture there to see a beautiful (downloadable) high-resolution version.

https://americanart.si.edu/artist/rodney-thomson-4797

In or about 1937 Thomson drew the centerspread for Detective Picture Stories #4.

Rodney Thomson died in 1941.

I saved the best for last: a remarkable piece from circa 1915, "The Enlightenment Machine." Heritage sold the original last year for $1560. Satan, wearing his If the Devil Could Talk outfit, sits at a typewriter with authors and artists instead of keys, causing them churn out "vulgar songs," "filthy plays," and "suggestive pictures."

There is a delicious irony here because about the same time Thomson drew this department header. Not only does it feature a gratuitously bare-breasted maiden, it was drawn for Vanity Fair, a lifestyle magazine (1913-1937) which celebrated the very music, literature, and fashions the cartoon decries.

It still annoys me that Thomson's illustration signature and his comic book signature are so different. But I note that Thomson used different illustration signatures at different times. I guess he was just a guy who liked to change his signature occasionally.

In the Reading Group I speculated that Thomson may have drawn the Detective Picture Stories text story illustration using a different style. After looking at so many Thomson illustrations I think this is pretty unlikely. Also the more I peer at the artist's initials the more they look like "RA" rather than "RT." It also appears that the date reads "31," not as I previously thought, "37" with a European-style crossed "7."
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »

When I started this post I still a question mark about it.
I note that the Signature of 'Edge of prosperity' the one on the Western Illo and the one on  'they toil not, neither do they spin' are all different and the art styles on these are also quite different. Obviously a very versatile guy. The first letter on Radio Car Patrol, for mine, looks just like a stylized T. Just looked at it through a magnifying glass. Yep, a stylized T.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=76355
Been looking around for a few minutes.
Oh boy! Sometimes you [Plural] can't see the wood for the trees.
The contents page clearly reads.
Drawn especially for this magazine by Rodney Thompson.
But that's not all folks!
Right at the bottom we read:- Cover by Rodney Thompson!!! 
That seals it for me! 
Cheers!     
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:23:10 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2021, 05:10:37 PM »

I am staggered. I blush with shame. I cannot believe I missed that cover credit line. Back to the optometrist.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2021, 11:24:41 PM »

And Crash, Thanks for the research and those lovely illustrations.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2022, 06:27:36 AM »

Here's an interesting find.  The Buster Brown Shoe Company (one of the bigger players in Children's shoes in USA during most of The 20th Century) published a few series of giveaway comic books for entertainment for them, and, especially their siblings, while the sales people were fitting one of the parent customers' kids, from the late 1940s through the 1950s.  I liked a lot of the artwork in their giveaway comics, but never really noticed the artwork of any of the artists whose work I would readily recognise, until now.  This first page of the short-lived series, "My Dog Tige", featuring both Buster, and, especially, his dog, caught my eye, as being drawn in 1957, too much in the style of ex-Disney animator, Al Hubbard, who first worked on comic books for Ben Sangor's Studio on stories for Sangor's ACG comics and Better/Nedor/Standard Comics, owned by his son-in-law, Ned Pines (from 1943 to 1951), and then, for Western Publishing (Dell Comics) (from 1950-1977).  As Western, in addition to producing comic books for Dell, also produced promotional giveaway books for several different companies, including The Brown Shoe Company, I assume the following page (and remainder of its book) were, indeed, drawn by Hubbard.  Those of you who know Hubbard's work, please comment as to whether or not you agree with me that it must have been drawn by Hubbard:

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2022, 07:16:13 AM »

Robb,

I think you are absolutely right.

The panel edges, The expression on the dog, particularly panel 1 and panel 7, and the lettering, all say Hubbard!   
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2022, 08:17:54 PM »

The bulk [all?] of The Flame stories between Wonderworld Comics #12 (Apr 1940) and Wonderworld Comics #22 (Feb 1941, Fox) are drawn by Charles A. Winter (2 October 1896 - 27 June 1967). Charles A. Winter is probably best known for the Liberty Belle stories he drew for DC Comics.

https://www.pulpartists.com/Winter,CA2.html
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2023, 04:00:49 PM »

Tentative Ann Brewster art credit from Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr. on Buck Sanders and his Pals in Prize Comics v3#5 (29, Mar 1943). If this is correct (and I believe it is) then Ann Brewster drew all the Buck Sanders stories in Prize Comics v2#12 (24, Oct 1942) through Prize Comics v3#8 (32, Jul 1943), including the story in Headline Comics v1#1 (1, Feb 1943).

https://www.pulpartists.com/Brewster.html
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2023, 10:20:27 AM »

Here are some pages drawn by Dearfield Publishing's artists after Art Director (and main artist) Harvey Eisenberg, and Editor, Joe Barbera left the company in 1949:
Li'l Tinker, by Bill Newton:

Pete&Tweet by Stan Louis:

Red Rabbit by Etta Parks:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:29:47 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2024, 07:58:20 PM »

SAUL ROBBINS.  Artist: Cappy Can in Shadow Comics V1 #7-8 (Nov 1940-Jan1941, Street & Smith). –Jerry Bails, The Who’s Who of American Comics Books, 1975

https://www.comics.org/credit/name/Saul%20Robbins/sort/chrono/

Saul Robbins Obituary
Mr. Saul Robbins, 88, of Verona, N.J., died Sunday, June 13, 2010, at home. Services will be held Wednesday, June 16, at 9:30 a.m. in the Bernheim-Apter-Kreitzman Suburban Funeral Chapel, 68 Old Short Hills Rd., Livingston, N.J. Born in Brooklyn [on February 16, 1922],, Mr. Robbins lived in Linden, N.J., and then West Orange, N.J., before moving to Verona over 20 years ago. Prior to retiring in 1971, Mr. Robbins had co-founded the Remco Toy Company with his cousin, Isaac Heller [July 23, 1926 – March 7, 2015[, in Newark, N.J., back in 1949. The business was later located in Harrison, N.J. A graduate of Rutgers University in Newark, Mr. Robbins had served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was a past president of the Toy Manufacturers Association of America and the YM-YWHA of Metrowest. He also had been a founder of the original Occupational Center in Orange and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He was the beloved husband of Ruth (nee Fern); the devoted father of Ralph and Dr. Marcia R. Wilf; the dear brother of Sylvia Gindin; the cherished grandfather of three and great-grandfather of five. Contributions may be made to your favorite charity. Published by The Star-Ledger on Jun. 15, 2010.

https://obits.nj.com/us/obituaries/starledger/name/saul-robbins-obituary?id=24638417&_gl=1*1l5flyz*_gcl_au*ODA1MzM5NjM2LjE3MDc4MzM0OTQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2024, 10:41:39 PM »

Nice find, Mopee.  Saul Robbins was a fairly obscure comic book artist.  I knew of him only for his few Street & Smith funny animal stories, and I think he also drew a few stories for one of the New York comic book production studios.  Surprising to find out that he was co-founder of RemCo Toy Co., which any boy growing up in USA or Canada during the 1950s would know very well.  Here's Page 1  from his Cappy Can story in The Shadow #8:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:49:26 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.