in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"Silver Age Sidestreet"

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: "Silver Age Sidestreet"  (Read 11043 times)

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
"Silver Age Sidestreet"
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:03:23 AM »

So anyone working on any comics for this section?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: "Silver Age Sidestreet"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »

We have one book. I have several others that I can add. Waiting for Janus to give a definite go ahead.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »

I was quite happy to see it! Nemesis from Adventures into the Unknown, Fatman, Super Green Beret, Fab Four, Jack Q Frost, there's so many of those wonderful cheesy 60's heroes!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »

Not sure we could post Jack. Harvey is still around as a family with family ownership. The others however may be showing up. Dell disavows any comic book attatchment from their past so some good cheese could show up.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

Narfster, we can workout the details on silverage. I would like you to be the lead here. Please send me a message on this.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

Hi Janus good to have you back. I have lots of Charlton without a valid copyright I have begun to add these. I will check the Charltons before uploading them. Charlton Premier is now on site.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:09:16 PM »

What about that "other" Captain Marvel? "Split!"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »

I will check with AC comics. They last used the character renamed Mod. I think they should be OK as were as their other character Henry Brewster an Archie knock off by Bob Powell. I have all of both characters.
ip icon Logged

crimsoncrusader

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »

I've got several Silver Age scans including complete runs of their Action Heroes. Let me know when they're good to upload.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »

The Charlton Action heroes are owned by DC now so they are better left out even if the copyright was not perfect it is not worth the risk. If you have other Charltons
check the indicia. If it does not have a valid copyright notice usually pre 1969 then it is OK to put in the suspect folder until I can approve it. Please include in the comment section what the copyright notice says. Many simply say international copyright secured which means nothing legally.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »

Thanks for the files Astaldo but only that Fat Fury might be OK. You may want to ask before doing to many of a certain kind. While Dell is OK certain features were copyright to the owners. I believe Sgt Preston was not OK and neither Zorro for sure we could not include.
ip icon Logged

KnightRandom

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »

I'm enjoying these issues of Charlton Premiere.  Pat Boyette is a sadly underappreciated artist and it's a shame he did barely anything outside of Charlton.  Based on the weird, menacing art in "Spookman" and "Children of Doom," I would have loved to see his Dr. Strange or Spectre.

CP #2's letters page says that there was another story they were going to publish instead but it got pulled at the last minute because of legal problems and "Children of Doom was cobbled together at the last minute to take its place.  Does anyone know what the story behind this is?
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »

Pat Boyette DID do some work outside of Charlton, apart from a stint with the short lived Atlas/Seaboard company in the early 1970's he also worked at DC Comics for a while and did some of the very last Blackhawk issues of the Silver Age.

" Children of Doom" has long been a favourite of mine and old timers from my Phabox Centeral Yahoo group may remember my own scans of this book being shared there some years back.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »

I think Children of Doom was a favorite of Pat's also. I remember even at a young age being impressed by it. Still holds up well. It looks like the SA Sidestreet is a pretty popular section here.
ip icon Logged

KnightRandom

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »

Turns out that issue 3's letters page says (in response to a letter of praise from Mike Uslan) that it would have been "A way-out romance book...  We think that it would have been of great interest even to those guys that don't dig romance!  But alas and alack..."  I'm glad we got Children of Doom instead, but I have to wonder what kind of oddball concept they might have had in mind.

Issues 3 and 4 seem to me to have copyright notices.  How can you tell if a copyright notice is properly formed or not?

Are issues of Gorgo and Konga allowed here?  I've got a copy of Fantastic Giants lying around on my hard drive (reprinting the first issues of both with a couple of new Ditko stories to boot), which seems to have no copyright notice at all.  I think those series would be public domain but they were based on movies.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »

While they may be OK we are shying away from owned properties right now. Maybe later after the new section has not met with any complaints we can dive deeper into such issues. We are skating on new ice and want to tread softly for awhile.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »

Ok you are right. I missed it but 3 and 4 do have the proper copyright. Does anyone know if these were reprinted by Boughton? If so then he got the copyrights to them. If not I figure they went away with the company. Anyone know?
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »

Well at least one of my uploads is there! For the time being at least. I was under the assumption that anything on Inter Archive was okay. It's mostly westerns which is not my favorite genre. I just wanted to give something back since I've gotten so much from the site. While I'm disappointed you couldn't use them all, I'd rather that than have someone complain and the site get in trouble.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »

Trying to play it safe Astaldo. They probably would be no problem but especially Zorro is used often. The copyrights may never have been used but using a trademarked character can be troublesome.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

It's people like that that ruin it for the rest of us.  >:(
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »

My experience is that Marvel and Image are the ones that seem to care. DC does not seem to mind. I guess they make more off the movies so if someone downloads and likes a Batman comic they might go to the movie
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »

Just might be the mindset of the company. I'm sure Marvel makes plenty of money from the Spider Man and X-Men movies. They have some Captain America Comics on their site but I didn't care to read it. It looked nice and clean and the colors were vibrant but that was the problem. I like it when old comics look old. If the released some of the old books that have current characters I think it would generate interest in the new books. I never bought Watchmen when it came out but I like the movie and now want the comics.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »

I can understand them protecting their property but I don't agree with it. I know it's because I'm on THIS side looking in, as a collector. If I created a character I wouldn't care who used it. I might have some kind of license agreement saying something like it couldn't be used in a way that hurts the image of the character like someone portraying him as a drunk or lech or something adult. Again, this is because I'm a collector and would love to be able to read all the old Marvel stuff. It's not like we'd put a baby in a commercial and call it "Lindsey" that would be horrible!
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »

check the indicia. If it does not have a valid copyright notice usually pre 1969 then it is OK to put in the suspect folder until I can approve it. .

So 1969 is the Sliver-age cut off date for uploads?

(BTW, I'm sure most of you know this,but worls with missing or incorrect copyright notices up to 19890 are consitered public domain.)
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »

Don't know if we have a cut off per se, but before anything you upload is on the site, it will be reviewed and approved (or not). Silver Age stuff is new to this site so they are taking it very carefully.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.