in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"Silver Age Sidestreet"

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: "Silver Age Sidestreet"  (Read 11044 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: "Silver Age Sidestreet"
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »

And even that is very debated Sky. Janus seems willing to accept even later books that are pd and even web content but all that is something to discuss with him later. The 1969 date has to do when Charlton started getting their copyright notice correct. Here is what we need before anyone uploads. Let me what you plan to upload in the SA. Let me know what the indicia says. Many Charlton says international copyright secured which is not proper without the copyright then date
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 03:11:55 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing some 1960's Romance and War comics. Might be fun. :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 03:31:30 AM »

I have plenty of Charlton, ACG and even a couple Prize
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »

Until this site, I never realized how many romance comics were out there. I didn't think it was that popular.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35:39 AM »

My mother liked to read them. That is why I have quite a few. I would look for cheap lots since they are not much collected and get them for her. I image lots of girls, which is half the population picked them up. And when you consider males splitting their interests the girls would have a lower number of comic readers but a higher concentration in romance
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:20 AM »

I have a few but haven't read them yet. I have some of those G.I. Romance ones I'll give a try at some time.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »

I guess Romance Manga would be the modern equivolent of the romance comic.

It's amazing that DC's "Young Love" lasted till 1977!  I know they did a CB-Radio based story, so I'm guessing they must have done a Disco story!
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 08:28:40 AM »

How about more Dell comics? Anything before January,1964 that wasn't renewed wouldn't be a problem as they've fallen into the public domain.

But what titles would be worth checking? - You wouldn't want to spend alot of time checking the ovious titles.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »

Dell's Werewolf, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Qwl and Super-Heroes Present the Fab Four might be worth thinking about for starters.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »

These are personal favorites of mine. Does anyone know who it was or can get confirmation that Dell has basically disavowed any comic book involvement. The story I read is that they no longer have any records of their comic book work. If we can get that in writing or a statement that they do not care if we host their books we could get those mentioned as well as Kona, Toka and Naza and lots of war books
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »

Dell's Werewolf, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Qwl and Super-Heroes Present the Fab Four might be worth thinking about for starters.

-Nigel

The Owl Vs. the Terror Twins!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »

I'm a big fan of some of those weird and wonderful 'Harvey Thrillers' that came out in the wake of the mid-sixties Batmania showcasing such oddball characters as Spyman, Jigsaw and Piranna.

However knowing that Joe Simon was behind many of these books I suspect that hosting them here could be more trouble then its worth. :(

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

Those weird characters were great!
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »

Maybe Fass had once been an understudy for Victor Fox, now there WAS a guy fouler then a box of frogs -lol
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »

Much of what I read on Waldman indicated that he believed since he bought the plates the had the rights. Most of what he reprinted was from defunct companies and we are free to carry IW/Super books on this site except the few Marvels
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone from Skywald got upset if we put their books onsite.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »

So he thought owning the plates gave him copyright? I work in the promotional products industry. We print company logos on all sorts of things. We have metal plates with logos for everything from little mom and pop shops to Microsoft and Disney. Going by Waldman's logic, if I owned these plates I have copyright on these companies. I think crooks will just try to justify their actions any way possible to assuage any kind of guilt.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 02:37:30 PM »

As I understand it Fox went behind bars at least once, his last visit he discribed somewhat ironicly as being his 'War Service' but as he was well past call up age by then it seems more then slightly unlikely to say the very least.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »

The long lost Yoc and myself did a lot of research on Mister Fox for our forthcoming project and the hardest part of the job was separating the fact from the fiction, there been LOTS written about the guy but much of it is just often repeated urban myths, that and the fact that Fox himself would not have know the truth even if it had run him down made it a tough job to say the least.

Interestingly we have yet to uncover a date of death for Fox so he might well have come to a well deserved sticky end and I doubt there would be many to mourn the passing of the 'king of comics'

Most likely he changed his name to avoid he's creditors and just died in obscurity if ANYONE here has any info of his final years then please PM me as it could still be used in the final cut.

Fox would now be about 115 years old so I think it can be asumed that he is long dead and gone by now but then again with a guy as slick as he was who knows -lol

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 05:40:53 PM »

Thanks for another chuckle Sky. I would like to see a bio on Waldman and Fass as well as Stanley these were the guys the popped back up in the market riding the Batman craze and quickly disappeared but to where. Probably an inospecious end dieing a broke drunk like Ogden Whitney
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »

You mean scripter as Richard Hughes was pretty much the man. Highly prolific and like Joe Gill at Charlton had many gems and duds
ip icon Logged

m_w_eris

message icon
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

What about that "other" Captain Marvel? "Split!"

These Burgos (sp?) stories are impossible to find. Unfortunately I keep getting the same incomplete file when I try to download this. Has anyone else had this problem?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »

It shows up as others having downloaded it. Are you trying to download more than one book at a time.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.