in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715860 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #1150 on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

Flame Barrier sounds intrigueing. What is it about?
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1151 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:53 AM »

Well Flame Barrier is an odd sci fi film.
The majority of the film is a standard jungle expedition type story of the 50's, but theres a mystery going on.
A wife of a wealthy tech magnate of the day, sort of a Tony Stark type, hires two brothers to guide her into the Yucatan to find her husband or confirm his death. She would be unable to touch her husbands wealth for seven years unless a body was found.

The husband had disappeared along with a well equiped party while searching for a private satelite he had sent up weeks earlier.

The wife and her party keep finding strangely burned human corpses along the way, and the deserted camp of the scientists with the only living thing around a chained chimpanzee. The chimp had been in the lost satelite.

If you want to watch the film, telling any more would spoil it for you.

Not a great film, but an interesting twist.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1152 on: May 04, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »

thanks since it free at internet archive I will have to check it out
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1153 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »

thanks since it free at internet archive I will have to check it out

Not sure that it can be found online, it was one one of the VHS tapes my friend sent to me.

You might try youtube
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1154 on: May 04, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »

I did not pay enough attention between messages. Archive was mentioned then your tapes. Was if copyrighted? May be something that the archive can use.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1155 on: May 05, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »

I did not pay enough attention between messages. Archive was mentioned then your tapes. Was if copyrighted? May be something that the archive can use.

I don't know what the copyright status would be, if its fallen into public domain it will show up on the archive sooner or later.

I checked and found that Flame Barrier is offered for download on a few movie sites, and the trailer was listed on youtube.

The film was fun to watch, since I had not seen it since I was a teenager, but not much of a film by standards of the day much less these days.
It does have much the feel of the old comic books, or the short stories found in the old mens magazines.
They might do well to consider this film suited to a modernized remake, it has some good elements.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1156 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:44 AM »

I saw some reviews and they seem to agree. Lots of plodding boring parts but some really good elements.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1157 on: May 06, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »

One I haven't seen in ages...

THE OCTAGON

Apparently one of the earliest "ninja"-themed movies, Chuck Norris is forced to confront his step-brother who went totally bad and set up a terrorist training school somewhere in Central America. The entire movie takes itself way too seriously, and the dialogue is so vague and clipped you never get a sense of who most of the characters are or why they do anything. The most outstanding personality, Lee Van Cleef, who heads an anti-terrorist vigilante group (you can't count on the police to do anything) disappears halfway thru once he bumps off someone he's been after for years.

Clearly the best part of the film is the long, protracted action scenes in the last half-hour, when Norris, at first single-handedly, has to take on an endless procession of masked killers, many of them in a complex training arena that gives the film its name. Parts of it look like the writer was very inspired by Moench & Gulacy's MASTER OF KUNG FU. The lead girl reminds me of Leiko (without being Asian) while Van Cleef could be standing in for Black Jack Tarr. Also, the "Octagon" fight scenes look like they stepped right out of "The Devil-Doctor's Triumph" in GIANT-SIZE MOKF #2. But the film feels like it has no heart, no soul. The action scenes are terrific, but you can't help but feel ENTER THE DRAGON was superior on ever single level.

Norris' next film, EYE FOR AN EYE, turned all this around, and was the first time he really exuded "personality" in one of his films. (Plus, it was a lot more fun.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:27:33 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »

Just finished watching the first episode of the new batch of Sherlock episodes.  Excellent!  Really looking forward to the next couple.

Well it looks like all my regular shows are winding down for the season (some have already wrapped) and will be over within a couple weeks.  Only Lost Girl (a Canadian show that Syfy picked up) has enough episodes in the can to continue running through the summer.  So far I've only scoped out five summer series (Falling Skies, Alphas, Haven, Leverage and Warehouse 13) to watch and none of those even start until June or July.

I expect I'll catch up on a few more of those older series I discovered online (Doc Martin, Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, etc...).

I also discovered recently that our local library has started getting in more DVD sets of television series.  The Lil Missus and I did a mini-marathon of Dexter season one last week and, somewhat surprisingly, really liked it so I have already reserved season two. 

This week I'm watching a set of vintage Dr. Who-"The War Games" from 1969 (last of the BW episodes) starring Patrick Troughton.  Henry has been giving the good Doctor such fine plugs lately I was itching to watch some and then the library got in a number of collections of the Doctor (both old and new series) and my wish was fulfilled.  Lots of neat extars on the DVD set too.

They also have the first three seasons of both Castle and The Mentalist which I know has been plugged on this board a few times (Paw, was that you?) so will be checking out both those series too.

Anyway looks like I'll have plenty of good watchin' this summer!

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »

AN EYE FOR AN EYE

Chuck Norris's 1st really "GREAT" film. He plays a cop whose partner (Terry Kiser) is murdered, suspects a leak in the Police Department and quits when his actions are under suspicion.  When his late partner's news-reporter wife (Rosalind Chao) is also murdered, he teams up with her father (Mako) to track down the killers, and bust the drug-smuggling operation. LICENSE TO KILL with Timothy Dalton had a vaguely similar plot, but this one, while it starts out dark & nasty, is a lot more fun to watch, with just the right mix of action, violence, characterization, humor and a bit of romance. Also in the cast are Richard Roundtree (almost playing the "Capt. Bollin" role from SHAFT'S BIG SCORE), Christopher Lee (more a "Bond villain" here than he was in GOLDEN GUN) and Professor Toru Tanaka as an indestructible henchman ("Odd-Job", anyone?). Yep, when the cops close in on the drug lord's lair at the end, this feels more like a Bond movie than LICENSE TO KILL did!

Norris & Mako made such a great comic team, it's a shame they never did a sequel to this.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1160 on: May 07, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »

Oh. never seen Castle or The Mentalist?  We love them and are on our don't miss list.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #1161 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

Right on, Paw- we never miss them either. Actually, my oldest son indirectly works on "Castle" - he audits the cost of the background music for this and some other ABC programs. After months of waiting, we finally got to watch the first episode of the new run of "Sherlock". WOW! Absolutely well worth waiting for. The new "Whitechapel" run is also quite good, especially the Bogeyman episode. "The Finder" is back after a short disappearance, but probably won't get picked up for renewal. Not a "must-see", but it can be fun. Took the granddaaughters to see "Pirates- Band of Misfits" and a good time was had by all. Great little sight gags and wonderful voice characterizations. The Queen Victoria role was played as a deranged Bette Davis doing Elizabeth the First - priceless! We're going to try and see "The Raven" this weekend. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1162 on: May 08, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »

We're also fans of Body of Proof.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1163 on: May 17, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »

I was especially pleased to find that Hulu TV has all 61 episodes of "Lexx". I've been watching a couple of episodes per day.
An amusing surreal Sci Fi series.

I'm also a fan of the Castle series, mainly because Stanna Katic is such a babe. I first saw Stanna in the Librarian episode "the Judas Chalice".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:16:15 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #1164 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »

Picked up Castle season one from the library this past weekend and am currently working my way through that.

I'm not familiar with Lexx.  I'll check into sampling a few episodes at Hulu.

The Lil' Missus and I plowed through season two of Dexter last week and are game for season three.  A very different type of crime series.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1165 on: May 17, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

Dexter is facinating
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #1166 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »

Dexter Season 3 and 4 are the best two so far IMO.
It's a show I like very much but still find it uncomfortable rooting for a very cold blooded killer.

Nurse Jackie is also very, very good and again, you are rooting for a lying, cheating drug abuser.  We live in confusing times.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1167 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

Then there is Weeds and Breaking Bad. Not interested in Nurse Jackie or Weeds as I think they actual promote the bad. I never got into Breaking Bad but I understand that a man is driven into dealing to pay medical bills. Given the corruption of our system I can sympathize with the character and idea behind it. I think of Dexter as a good guy hero doing the world a favor.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1168 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

Body of Proof series 2 finished here last night.  What a finale!  We'll miss that but fortunately the new series of Lewis started Wed.,  so we'll watch it on watch again this weekend. 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #1169 on: May 20, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »

Oh, I love 'Breaking Bad' as well!  I've never seen 'Weeds' though I've always heard good things about it.
'The Big C' is on my list to see.

The common thread among all of these seems to be superior acting and shorter seasons so there's no filler in them unlike network tv.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1170 on: May 20, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

My wife started as a big fan of Big C but lost interest shortly into the second season
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Dan Curtis' DRACULA
« Reply #1171 on: May 26, 2012, 03:47:26 AM »

Saw DARK SHADOWS this week.  Fun flick.  Steve Bissette compared it to MARS ATTACKS, so I figured, what the hell, gotta see that!

Meanwhile, I uncovered a missing piece of my collection I've been looking for for YEARS. That is, I was sure I'd taped this damned thing... but for quite a few years now, have not been able to find it. Tonight I watched it!

DRACULA  (1972)

Yep-- DAN CURTIS's adaptation of the novel.  That's 3 different adaptations of the same book, all done with in 7-year period...

1 - Jess Franco w/ Christopher Lee & Herbert Lom (Spain)

2 - Dan Curtis w/ Jack Palance & Nigel Davenport  (USA)

3 - ?? (BBC) w/ Louis Jourdan & Frank Finlay  (England)

Franco's was the 1st time anyone actually attempted to "do the book". But low budget & the world's worst cameraman really hurt.  Mind you, HIS film had the ONE actor in the entire world who actually brought the book's version of Count Dracula accurately to life.

Dan Curtis's version, I have not seen in more than 25 years!!!  You'd think I'd be thrilled out my mind to finally sit down and see it again.  Well... not really. The most amazing thing is how Curtis' directorial style is so RECOGNIZABLE, between this, the 2 NIGHT STALKER movies, and the 2 DARK SHADOWS movies. (Even though he didn't actually direct "THE NIGHT STALKER", somehow, the style is near-identical.) There's too many deviations from the book here, including, oddly enough, 2 that stand out as coming straight from the HAMMER version by Terrence Fisher.  That is, Jonathan GETS KILLED at the castle and is turned into a vampire, and is killed by his friend. And, Van Helsing YANKS curtains open to let sunlight into the room. (Then, he runs him thru, and I mean all the way thru, with a PIKE.)

THIS is the first "Dracula" to feature the idea of reincarnation, or at least, a hint of it.  In this one, Lucy is the dead ringer for his late wife. So when she's destroyed, he goes mad, then goes after Mina.  The Fernando Fernandez painted comic-book version was similar to this, except without the reincarnation angle.  In that one, Dracula simply fell in love with Lucy, so when she was killed, he went after Mina in REVENGE.  In the book, Lucy just happened to be his 1st victim.  He went after Mina when the group of vampire-hunters began hunting him, but made the mistake of leaving Mina alone ("for her own protection"-- boy did they F*** up there).

For a Dan Curtis film, there's a lot of dead air. Robert Cobert did a new score (apparently) but only seems to have written music for about half the film. As a result, there are some long sequences that just feel flat.

Strangely enough, Castle Dracula's interior seems too "new", more like a mansion than a stone castle. This is another thing it shares with the Hammer version.

Simon Ward plays Arthur Holmwood, a character who is another element in common with the Hammer version. I kept thinking, between him and the actor who played Jonathan, it seemed they got the roles reversed, except Arthur is in almost the entire film, while Jonathan is the victim. Nigel Davenport is NOT my favorite Van Helsing, not even close (after Van Sloan, Cushing & Finlay-- and Finlay is actually THE BEST, hell, Herbert Lom still comes in at least 4th). Truthfully, I kept thinking of the TERRORIST-hunter Davenport played in NIGHTHAWKS (which would make Rutger Hauer that film's counterpart of Dracula!).

To sum up... it's "nice", and I guess, for Americans at the time who had not had the chance to see Franco's "masterpiece" (compared to all his other films, it really is) it must have seemed the "most faithful" version ever made.

UNTIL 1977, when the BBC totally blew this and EVERY OTHER VERSION ever made before OR SINCE right out of the water.

Louis Jourdan, ironically enough, is the least-faithful element in that film to the book. Instead of the cold-hearted monster Bram Stoker wrote, Jourdan is a smooth-talking, stylish, sarcastic SON OF A BITCH. He's got 10 times more personality than the real thing, and his best scene is probably the one where he confronts Van Helsing (damn near every adaptation has one of those, and there never was one in the book). Van Helsing says some kind of prayer to ward off Dracula, who waves his hand dismissingly and says, "Yes, yes, it ALWAYS sounds more impressive in LATIN."

If you haven't seen this yet, I give the Jourdan film my HIGHEST reccomendation.  It really is the BEST adaptation of DRACULA ever, ever made.  (Mind you, I still love the LUGOSI film, and the Terrence Fisher-Hammer film with Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing. That one's just so damn much fun, you just don't care if they almost threw the book away when they did it.) Frank Finlay IS the Van Helsing in the novel, except for a slight modification, which actually makes him MORE likable. (And I'm convinced Mel Brooks' Van Helsing was based on Finlay's.)

Never would have thought that I'd rate Jess Franco's version ABOVE Dan Curtis.  Curtis' may be better made, from a technical standpoint, but Franco's is just better to WATCH.  Gee, who saw that coming?
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1172 on: May 26, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »

A lot of people don't realize that Jack Palance had played the part of Dracula, Jekyll & Hyde, and Jack the Ripper.

BTW
Palance's patented snarling intake of breath is the result of his short carreer as a boxer. He was beating his opponent like a drum and thought the guy was out on his feet. He said that he stood back to let the guy have room to fall and next thing he knew he was waking up in a hospital where surgeons were busy removing part of his nose and facial bones from his brain. Afterwards he always had trouble getting a good breath through his nostrils.
The nearly unconsious boxer had thrown one wild punch with everything he had left and ended Palance's dreams of a boxing carreer.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1173 on: May 26, 2012, 08:35:58 AM »

Didn't know any of that.  Great stuff.  Thank you.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
COLUMBO
« Reply #1174 on: May 26, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »

When I finally updated the list, I realized there were exactly 69 of them (not counting the 1962 TV appearance by Bert Freed or the later stage play which was later still adapted into the 1st Peter Falk film).

Yesterday morning I watched the one I've seen more than any of the others (most of them I've only ever seen ONCE apiece).

PRESCRIPTION: MURDER (1968) predates the rest of the series by 3 years, has a far-less-rumpled looking Lieutenant, and a twist at the end where it seems there was a suicide following the murder.

About midway thru, this low-key thing made me LAUGH out loud for almost a minute, something I haven't done in some time. It was the point where Gene Barry (the hero of WAR OF THE WORLDS among other things) describes in accurate detail Columbo's personality, while Columbo continues to maintain his outward "absent minded idiot" facade. By this point, Columbo has focused on TOO MANY details for him to possibly be "as stupid as he seems" (as Julian Glover once said refering to Tom Baker's "Doctor").

And in the very next scene, Columbo interviews the killer's actress-girlfriend-- and his ENTIRE PERSONALITY changes drastically, shockingly, almost violently. We see a man who knows EXACTLY what he's doing, and is both ANGRY and VERY DETERMINED to do whatever it takes to bring about justice.  WHOA!!!

This was often forgotten in the latter part of the 70's, as the series went on and on and became far too formulaic. The "facade" often became TOO convincing, and audience members might have been forgiven actually believing it was the reality. He seemed to get more "retarted" as he went. (Just as, during Diana Rigg's time on THE AVENGERS, one might have actually mistaken John Steed for a "gentleman". HE'S NOT!!!)

This was what I liked about the revival, once they got past the fairly-awful 1st new season. When Peter Falk took over the show as co-executive producer, suddenly, he began to "play" with the format. Not every episode was like every other one. You got to see, more and more, the "REAL" Columbo, when he was not around the suspects. And you got to see just HOW MUCH his superiors valued him.

A lot of the later ones may have had lesser-known actors playing the killers, but more and more, Falk became the real star, instead of aging former-TV heroes turned BAD GUYS to pay the bills. The 70's series really has a cynical air about it, when you look at it that way. So many beloved "good guys" MURDERING other people for the flimsiest of reasons, then trying to prove how smart they are afterwards-- and failing miserably.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:51:11 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.