in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pulp Magazine Ages

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Pulp Magazine Ages  (Read 145 times)

Mick22

message icon
Pulp Magazine Ages
« on: March 11, 2024, 05:04:48 PM »

How can we divide and categorize the Pulp Era into different ages (ex. Golden Age, Silver Age, etc.) like comic book ages?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Pulp Magazine Ages
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 08:07:02 PM »

Well, as I understand it, the comic book ages started with old time comic readers complaining that comics weren't as good as when they were kids, a golden age so to speak, and fans of the superhero revival responding that the then current era must be a silver age, and once there were two loosely defined eras others started inventing eras to go around them.

I don't think that ever happened with the pulps, so other than personal preference it might not happen to the pulps.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 08:15:43 AM »

I think pulps could be better divided by product type than by arbitrary "ages". The earlier story-papers and dime novels morphed into pulps, which in turn morphed into slick magazines featuring sci-fi, westerns, romance stories, true crime, and, of course, the men's "sweat" magazines, such as Stag, Saga, etc.
I'm certain this is an over-simplification, but it works for me. Cheers, bowers
ip icon Logged

nzumel

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 09:04:03 PM »

Mike Ashley seems to consider the height of the pulps to be right before and right after WWI, which is also around the time period considered the Golden Age for detective fiction and ghost stories. I'm sure that's not a coincidence. He also seems to put the end of the pulp era at about 1955.

https://www.pulpmags.org/contexts/essays/golden-age-of-pulps.html

Of course, there are the descendants of pulps that existed after 1955, some to this day: Amazing Stories, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine ... I guess Ashley would call these digests, rather than pulps.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 11:21:11 PM »

NZUMEL said,
  Of course, there are the descendants of pulps that existed after 1955, some to this day: Amazing Stories, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine ... I guess Ashley would call these digests, rather than pulps. 

Yes, they do call themselves DIGESTS. I still see them in some Newsagents. I'm surprised actually that they still exist. I think that these days they are more like 'Fan' publications. Fans would be their audience.
Those titles used to host the best writers in their genres.

cheers!     
ip icon Logged

nzumel

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 02:16:38 AM »

I was a huge fan of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine when I was in Junior High and High School. I will still pick up an old vintage copy (pre-1990s) when I see it.

I stopped reading them for a long time when I got to college and changed my reading habits. I remember picking one up maybe ten or fifteen years ago and being very disappointed in the quality of the stories. But I guess it's still a viable publishing venue for new mystery writers while they're still in their short story stage (before they give them up completely and go exclusively to novels).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.