in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,177 books
 New: 244 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Jet Fury 22

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Jet Fury 22  (Read 855 times)

positronic1

message icon
« on: June 27, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »

Seems to be somewhat in the same mold as American aviators like Captain Midnight, Spy Smasher, or Skyman. Jet Fury's plane seems to be based on Lockheed's P-38 Lightning, but shorter and stubbier, and of course, jet-powered as opposed to prop-driven. Always nice to see a character with a unique, signature mode of transport. I was hoping this would be wartime-related, but alas. Interesting nonetheless.

Unusual mix on that back-page advert, with Scorchy Smith (again?), and Manhunter (which unless I miss my guess, is the same feature from Quality Comics... I think maybe it ran in POLICE COMICS? Didn't take the time to look it up...)

Link to the book: Jet Fury 22
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »

Scorchy Smith, Manhunter, Doll Man, Garth and other "foreign" characters and strips were reprinted in Australia.
There were also adaptations of American strips, prime example being Catman, which was given a makeover after the American series finished.
We have some examples on site:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2729
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:28:12 AM »

Scorchy Smith, Manhunter, Doll Man, Garth and other "foreign" characters and strips were reprinted in Australia.
There were also adaptations of American strips, prime example being Catman, which was given a makeover after the American series finished.
We have some examples on site:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2729

I've looked at the Aussie Catman strip before. I don't think there's any relation to the earlier American Cat-Man comic book -- different costume, premise, and sidekick (the earlier character's partner was a girl). Only a coincidence as far as I can tell, just as DC has a villain named Catman who's no relation to the earlier American character. Manhunter (DC had one of those as well, no relation) just seemed to stick out as an odd choice out of all the Quality Comics characters that (having established some sort of relationship with the American company) might have been available -- a distinctly minor player in Quality's pantheon of superheroes. Doll Man I can totally understand, as he was a unique character, and a popular one who had his own Quality title.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:51:18 AM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »

Rather than read my ramblings on Catman, this page by Kevin Patrick should clear matters up:-
http://comicsdownunder.blogspot.com/2007/04/catman-transplanted-superhero.html
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »

Rather than read my ramblings on Catman, this page by Kevin Patrick should clear matters up:-
http://comicsdownunder.blogspot.com/2007/04/catman-transplanted-superhero.html

I'm still not sure this counts as any kind of 'revival' of the golden age Cat-Man published by Tem/Holyoke/Helnit/Continental. Frew seem to have liked the character's name, and nothing else about him -- his costume, identity, origin, sidekick, or "9 lives" gimmick (which, to be fair, was quickly forgotten after the original few instances of using it), or even the original hyphenated spelling of the name. Just because Frew may have been well-aware of the original American comic, it hardly amounts to the same as Marvel just assuming ownership-without-leave of Magazine Enterprises' GHOST RIDER character, by virtue of the fact that they employed the original artist, Dick Ayers. Because of the artist/creator connection and the character's image remaining virtually unchanged, there was some definite intellectual property theft in action there (unless Ayers was granted leave to use it from his old boss Vin Sullivan, but I haven't heard of it if that was indeed the case). The situation of the Aussie Catman strikes me about the same as Marvel just grabbing the name "Daredevil" after years of it going unused since Lev Gleason went out of comics publishing. Perfectly good name; otherwise, no relation. Why let a perfectly good character name go to waste?  ..."Captain Marvel", anyone?? Myron Fass liked the idea, and so did Martin Goodman after him. The story given here makes zero sense -- why would anyone in his right mind pay someone money to license the name of a defunct publisher's character, and then go and change everything about the character (including the way the name was spelled)? There's no chance that it would have been legally actionable (not to mention the expenses involved in international lawsuits). In fact, the pointed lack of using the hyphenated spelling "Cat-Man" as opposed to "Catman" seems ample proof in and of itself that the only connection was a vague inspiration. This really does sound like an apocryphal tale of imaginary comic book history, sort of like the old "Martin Goodman's golf game with Jack Liebowitz that led him to order the creation of (what became) the Fantastic Four" ... which people believed for years unquestioningly, even though there's no shred of truth to it. If the rumor made the character sound as if it were "authentic" to American comics, and that was a selling point in Australia, that's reason enough for circulating it... but to pay real money? Frew might as well just flush it down the toilet.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »

I prefer to accept the Kevin Patrick version of events ::)  But, whatever we think, I'm just glad there was an Australian Catman and that we have a few issues. Plus, there's that lovely John Dixon artwork :)
By the way, how do we classify Marvelman?  Adaptation of CM?  Revival after American series finished? Brand new superhero? Something else? 
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 04:16:45 AM »

I prefer to accept the Kevin Patrick version of events ::)  But, whatever we think, I'm just glad there was an Australian Catman and that we have a few issues. Plus, there's that lovely John Dixon artwork :)
By the way, how do we classify Marvelman?  Adaptation of CM?  Revival after American series finished? Brand new superhero? Something else?

Knockoff? Blatant imitation? Certainly in full company there -- there were dozens of those. It continues today, and certainly has intensified since the 1960s to the point of "imitation" becoming "homage". You could fill quite a list with just Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman homage characters. In retrospect, it's almost laughable that DC could take legal action over characters like Fox's Wonder Man, and Fawcett's Captain Marvel - similarities yes, but nothing like the direct and obvious point-for-point parallels of later characters. Obviously a vastly different comic market existed in the early days.

With the caveat that the exigencies of publishing were such that the sudden decision of Fawcett to withdraw from the comic publishing business (circumstances being what they were) left L. Miller & Sons high and dry, in effect pulling out the rug from under its bread-and-butter best sellers. What else were they to do -- go out of business as well? Thus, the direct-imitation is more understandable given the predictable alternative. Marvelman proved an acceptable substitute to Captain Marvel reprints for the British buying public, and continued to be a success for years after the changeover. The nature of any continuing feature, no matter its initial origins as a mere copy, is that it must continue to evolve along its own distinct path, accumulating elements of story continuity that render it more uniquely a thing of its own with the passage of time, if it is to continue to survive, just as the Superman of 1938 has distinctive differences to the Superman of 1948 or 1958.

Catman, on the other hand, strikes me as a distinct improvement on the Holyoke/etc. version. I wouldn't even call it an imitation as such, the similarities being tenuous beyond the name. Again, I would invoke the Gleason Daredevil > Marvel Daredevil comparison there, not that Gleason's DD didn't have its own unique charms. Apropos to nothing, I'd like to remark that Gleason's Daredevil certainly gained much of its initial popularity based on the character's stunningly original costume design, whereas Marvel's Daredevil initially faced some tough going in its earliest issues, ironically invoking a verisimilitude that convincingly (if unintentionally, I'm sure) conveyed the idea that only a blind man would have designed such a costume to visualize the idea of a dare-"devil". Thank the fates that Wally Wood came along in time to change it into something simple but effectively impressive, or DD may not have survived.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:02:57 AM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.